Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When And Where Did Queenslie Go?, Beam Me Up Scottie When
keylock000
post 11th Aug 2009, 10:39pm
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,325
I lived in Queenslie from 1971 to 1973 and it was the only catholic estate in the area mounted on the top of a hill it had cranhill to the east
the GYT to the north Easterhouse to the east and south in which there was also a prison (no I was too young to go there)

we used to have a view of the sun rising in the morning on penstone rd
and the monkland canal (mostly empty) striking east to garkosh(i cant spell the name soz to all) which was a mental institution in quite the right place (easterhouse)

mostly semi detatched blocks of flats divided into four sets, each side of one open close as it was called then with a few old peeps homes near the shops

some peeps from there were cambells, fins, cassidys, bettys, spences, curries

schools we walked to were St Gregorys cranhill which also has since vanished

doctors were a walk to easterhouse

GYT estate has a name but i never could spell it let alone visit as it would be considered a beatable offence by the locals but then so was being English on a Scottish estate, sad to see it go but not totally sad lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 11th Aug 2009, 11:05pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
Think ye mean Garthamlock (GYT)? A lot of renovation has been done there recently and it's looking a lot better. Lot of nice people there, as there has always been. Like most places in Glasgow the minority give the places a bad name.

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
keylock000
post 12th Aug 2009, 06:44pm
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,325
Garthamlock
Well done that man
I should know it as my dad took me to see his sister that lived there
but when we were kids it seened like everywhere was difficult to visit
and Slainte Mhor to ur home and kin too =0)

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 14th Aug 2009, 05:41am
Post #19

Catholic estate?

+Quote Post
*smith*
post 5th Oct 2009, 05:23pm
Post #20

Is there no pictures any where of Queenslie ?

+Quote Post
*simon*
post 9th Jan 2010, 03:25am
Post #21

i lived in queenslie untill it got tore down. last house remaining, i believe it was the galloway's.( a close or two from mine on horndean cress) queenslie was demolised because it was a magnet for deprivation, with the estate round it the council could cut there losses and sell the land. still holds memories for me though. if you go the swingy pitch is still there

+Quote Post
**eddie**
post 15th Jan 2010, 04:24pm
Post #22

Catholic estate..... what are you talking about?????

+Quote Post
*Tommy McMillan*
post 17th Jan 2010, 01:02pm
Post #23

i was born in Queenslie in 1957 me and family lived at 31 Penston Road.My Mum & Dad where Catherine And Arthur McMillan My Brothers Where David. Arthur.James. Richard. William .And my Sister was Nancy went to Queenslie primary school from 1963 until 1969 some great teachers before going to gathamlock secondary school then moving to manchester in 1972.my auntie and uncle stayed horneden crescent next to 51 bus stop.

+Quote Post
Queenslie1957
post 17th Jan 2010, 02:38pm
Post #24

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,004
tongue.gif I To Was Born in Queenslie December 1957 Lived 31 Penston Road With My Mum And Dad
Catherine/Arthur McMillan With My Brothers And Sister

Gone But Not Forgotten

+Quote Post
Queenslie1957
post 17th Jan 2010, 02:39pm
Post #25

Special Visitor
QUOTE (Guest @ 14th Aug 2009, 05:39am) *
Catholic estate?

I Don't Think So I Lived There

+Quote Post
Queenslie1957
post 17th Jan 2010, 07:47pm
Post #26

Special Visitor
51 Bus To Douglas Street

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Queenslie1957
post 17th Jan 2010, 07:50pm
Post #27

Special Visitor
Picture Of Queenslie Primary School

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*William Jackson*
post 12th Feb 2010, 01:07am
Post #28

HI Lived on Horndean cres 55 to 76. The cul-de-sac backing on to Penston rd on one side Lonmay path on the other (GYT)=GARTHAMLOCK YOUNG TOI, Only one of the gang names around at the time used by teenagers trying to find a sense of community in a new enviroment.lets face it being up rooted from Parkhead ,Shettleston or Bridgeton to what amounted to a green field site must have been daunting to say the least. All my mates elder siblings went back to familar surrounding asap,or left the country altogether. My father lived there for a few years after i left and still did most of his shopping in Bridgeton where he was raised (given the chance old habits die hard).

+Quote Post
*Raymond*
post 5th Apr 2010, 01:29pm
Post #29

Hi folks I lived at 86 horndean crescent ( I think - My memory isn't what it used to be.) We left when I was 7 or 8 years old. Anyway we lived on the ground floor. Mum and dad were Helen and Fred Toms and kids were Bryan, Raymond and Derek. I had pals called Thomas dickson upstairs and brian and alan devlin next close. There was wully Jamieson up at the top of the crescent and several others I canny remember, lol.

I would be good to see some pictures of the old place.

Anyone remember us?

+Quote Post
*stevo*
post 6th Apr 2010, 06:16pm
Post #30

i was born and bred in queenslie my name is steven emans. i came from queenslie form 1982 till 1997 when i moved to craigend. i miss the old place so many memories biggrin.gif. I live in horndean cres with my mum annamrie emans and my nana june emans and my auntie elaine emans both lived at lonmay rd in the triangle across the road from the shops. biggrin.gif good times

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.