Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last Night Of The Trams, Fifty years ago tonight
Greumach
post 7th Sep 2012, 01:44pm
Post #46

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,781
Hi All, I lived in Cowcaddens Street and McPhater street and at one time knew every caur route that came via Hope street. My memory of the last night of the trams was when I saw people putting down pennies on the track at the Maitland Street terminus. The magnitude of the occasion was lost to my young mind at the time. The video was great to watch. Bring back the caurs!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tracystreet
post 7th Sep 2012, 07:37pm
Post #47

Settling In
Member No.: 8,081
I used to love going on the tram. My dad used to drive them in Glasgow.

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 9th Sep 2012, 01:28pm
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
Being an xclippie I loved working oan tha "caurs" I worked out of Parkhead garage and my run was the 15 and the 23 what a great job that was but I left Scotland in 1958 so I wasn't there for the last run but my mom sent me the newspaper which I still have and kidding me that because I left the "caurs stopped running". thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 11th Sep 2012, 09:03am
Post #49

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I was 11 years old and didn't go but I remember my big sister and her new husband going to see the last tram. They came back with pennies which had been put on the line and were bent by the tram.

+Quote Post
The Bankie
post 25th Sep 2012, 10:42am
Post #50

Visitor
Member No.: 9,161
Hi Guys
As you might guess from my avatar I lived in Clydebank. As I was about 13 at the time I missed the last scheduled tram but was there for the "Official" parade.
A couple of points about the film struck home. The trams setting off from Dalmuir West damn nearly had to be push started because of the pennies and ha'pennies on the line and they were sweeping them off all the way to the depot to avoid derailments. Those from the Dalmuir terminus were FLAT because about 6 trams had run over them and the scrap value of the rails went up by about 20% because of the copper filled grooves. Folk, mainly kids, would wait till the tram was nearly there, then rush accross the road putting a penny down as they crossed. My mum threw mine away in the 70s.
My favourite memory is of going to the "shows" at the Kelvin Hall on the tram every Christmas & Hognmanay.

For an alternative view without the commentary try Last tram in colour. This is the first time I have posted a link so I hope it works.

Just to prove that you can take a bit of Glesca wi ye, hae a lookit these.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Aw ra best
The Bankie

--------------------
Living in exile in West Yorkshire

+Quote Post
**Bobby**
post 21st Jan 2018, 04:47pm
Post #51

I built the whole of he Glasgow Tramway system on the NV3 Trainz simnulator. Took me three years.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.