Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last Night Of The Trams, Fifty years ago tonight
serabash
post 5th Sep 2012, 08:29am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
I remember the last day of the trams, my granny and me were oan and aff trams awe that day. I was five and my memory is off all the trams we were on breaking down and having to get another one., but maybe it was each tram to the end of it's journey then on to the next one. unsure.gif I do remember being places I had never been before. We had a packed lunch with us on our wee day out on the trams. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**Tony S**
post 5th Sep 2012, 08:49am
Post #32

I was only 2 months old when the last tram made its final journey so only got to see them on film or transport museum

+Quote Post
*Lobby Dosser*
post 5th Sep 2012, 09:08am
Post #33

QUOTE (Doug1 @ 4th Sep 2012, 10:30pm) *
I'm sure I already posted something on the trams some time ago but here we go again. I well remember going in and out to the town centre on the trams from the south side where I lived. They were cold and very rattly and shoogly but they always seemed to be on time. One thing I certainly recall was riding my bike along Govan road and getting my front wheel stuck in the tram rails, it happened often and when it did you dam near went over the handlebars, no wonder we kids were tough in those days lol. I dont really remember anyone being particularly bothered about them stopping as we knew that nice new buses would be taking there place and they would go to places that the trams didnt go to

Govan Rd, bike in tram lines; been there did that. The Govan rd. tram was sheer poetry in motion. I don't remember them going away but they will live in my memory until I do.

+Quote Post
Albanach
post 5th Sep 2012, 10:09am
Post #34

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,054
I fondly remember that as a wean my pals and I would hang about the Riddrie tram terminus in Smithycroft Road (very handie for Barlinnie!) putting coins on the tracks to get them flattened for no good reason except maybe 'scientific' curiosity. The flattened pennies immediately lost their spending power. This was compensated for by kindly tram drivers who would allow us to change the points on the track with the steel levers that the trams carried, and even get a 'hudgie' on the platform as they drove the caurs onto the opposite track, ready for the next journey to Rouken Glen or Giffnock. Simple pleasures, but lasting memories!

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Sep 2012, 07:40am
Post #35

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Many great memories, thanks all, and keep them coming.

A couple of quotes from the media on this subject:

Museum curator John Messner reflected:
"For almost 90 years, Glasgow really was a tram city.

"Before cars, before buses, before the subway, it was the trams that people took all over the city. They took people to work, to school, to the dancing and to the football - they were part of the lifestyle of most Glaswegians. When they came off in 1962, it was the impetus for the creation of a transport museum in Glasgow."

Most major towns and cities in Scotland had trams, such as Edinburgh, Perth, Kilmarnock and Dundee. But then, in the first half of the 20th century, there was more need for cars, and trams were seen as an outdated 19th century idea.

Nowadays, there are plans for Edinburgh, while Manchester's Metrolink arrived in 1992. But none of the modern ideas are like the classic idea. They are more like light rail trains than trolley cars."

University of Glasgow Professor Iain Docherty said:
"One of the reasons we got rid of the trams at the time was the belief that we needed all the space we could possibly have for the car. That has turned out to be a double-edged sword with problems of congestion and pollution.

If trams are done well then they improve the quality of the place.

There is a great deal of nostalgia towards trams - they were a huge part of the psyche.

Most of the town centres in places like Glasgow and Edinburgh look the way they do because of trams. They were built around the tram network and vice versa. A lot of urban environments were built with the tram in mind.

Most cities that build modern tramways hate the construction period because it's disruptive, and people think it's a terrible idea. And then once they are up and running, people love them and want more of them."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
**doncaster tom**
post 6th Sep 2012, 08:33am
Post #36

I used to get caur in the old Garngad to Blackhill and get off at the auld Ranza Place and walk down the lane to Hogganfield Street past the pond. Fond memories.

+Quote Post
big les glasgow
post 6th Sep 2012, 08:35am
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,531
I remembered i wrote about Wilsons Zoo and the tram journey on "Oor glasgow " site a few years ago maybe some of the visitors would like to read it below:......

One of the biggest thrills when I was a wee boy just before the Second World War was to be taken on Saturday for a ride on one of the brand new Coronation trams. Even now my memory recalls the new smell of the paint and the extra smooth ride from Dalmuir West, where we lived at the time, into "The Town". Passing the Art Galleries, there was a continuous row of tenement buildings through Finnieston and Anderston. We then alighted at the stop before the Hielanman's Umbrella and crossed over to visit Wilson's Zoo in Oswald Street.

The first thing I remember was a lady stuck behind a small window who took your money and let you through the turnstile and up the stair to see the wonderful collection of such rare animals and birds which awaited you in their cages and pens. They included "The Biggest Rat in the World" which was caught in Rothesay Dock and was actually a Coypus. The 2pm crowd puller was when the drunks all came in from the pubs to shout abuse at the lion tamer, who made the lion do its tricks with the cracking of the whip behind the bars of the cage and feeding it later with a large hunk of meat!!!!!! All this again with a pungent smell of animal cages which could have done with a clean out the previous day. I also remember the fancy Muscovy ducks and the male peacock with its tail fanned out with such a beautiful array of colours. All this stuck one up in an old tenement building backing on to Central Station.

As we went round we came to the monkey cage, my favourites!!! I used to feed them nuts until one of them took my hand between the bars and bit my right index finger. I must have yelled as I was taken in emergency down the steep stair to a hospital and had the finger cautorized. So I guess my father must have been in a real panic back in those days as I remember being told that the King of Greece had died from a monkey bite earlier.

I still have the bite mark to remember me of Wilson's Zoo. "Those were the days"!!!

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 6th Sep 2012, 08:45am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Lobby Dosser @ 5th Sep 2012, 11:23am) *
Govan Rd, bike in tram lines; been there did that. The Govan rd. tram was sheer poetry in motion. I don't remember them going away but they will live in my memory until I do.

Remember my mother getting her heel caught in the tram lines at Charring Cross and struggling to get it free before the tram ran over it. laugh.gif
Our next door neighbour was a conductor and every week he would hand over tokens for us to ride the caurs for free.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 6th Sep 2012, 02:38pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I was just watching Chick Murray recounting the story of the woman with the extremely large nose who when she fell flat on her face got it caught in the tram line.He and his pal took a leg each and pushed her wheelbarrow style to the depot.Only Chick could do it.

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Sep 2012, 07:36pm
Post #40

Administrator
Group Icon
Ha-ha, good one, Jupiter! As you say, only Chick could tell that one!

For all, here's a couple more great (silent) clips of trams:

Glasgow Trams, 1962
Trams in service in the streets of Glasgow, including interior shots and footage of the last journey of the trams. An enjoyable film to watch, particularly for anyone familiar with the city of Glasgow. Gives a strong sense that the 'end of an era' has been reached.

Glasgow Trams, 1960
Views of both contemporary and slightly older types of tram in Glasgow. 21st May, 1960.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rab
post 6th Sep 2012, 07:53pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
Late one night, my Dad chased after a tram in Argyle St. As he grabbed what he thought was the platform pole to jump on, he pulled a lamplighter onto the road! laugh.gif The lamplighter wisna laffin!

(Explanation for you youngsters. The lamplighter used to carry a pole with which they turned on the gas to light the street- lamps)

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
big les glasgow
post 6th Sep 2012, 08:05pm
Post #42

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,531
Thanks a million GG the 2 films were just great to see and was just as if the place had'nt changed to what it is now ..If only we could put back the clock to see St Georges X , Charing X and Maryhill Road as they were. It was just lovely and the wee single decker Duntocher tram on its last trip through Brigton X and Glesca X would bring a tear to a glass eye Brilliant !!! yours Big Les Glasgow

+Quote Post
angel
post 6th Sep 2012, 08:42pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
(Explanation for you youngsters. The lamplighter used to carry a pole with which they turned on the gas to light the street- lamps)

Aw Rab , I know this is off topic but you have reminded me of a story my mother would tell us ,... a story about our dad , who took a temporary job as a " leerie "until he found a better job that paid more money for his family .

I guess this was her way of instilling in her children ," the work ethic ", which I believe is present to this day amongst my family members , but that is ,I suppose another topic .
cheers smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Sep 2012, 09:05pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I used to get on a tram from Farme Cross to Brigton Cross and that would have been in 1959/60. I continued on my once a week (on Wednesdays) journey from Brigton Cross to Morrisson Street but I think that was on the trolley-bus.
Each fare was 1d ... the clippies always laughed when I told them I really was 15 and left school and wouldn't take the 4dadult fare from me anyway cos I was such a nice wee laddie, tongue.gif
The shilling I saved from the trip both ways always got me my 5 Capstan on a Wednesday. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Sep 2012, 10:30pm
Post #45

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (big les glasgow @ 6th Sep 2012, 09:20pm) *
Thanks a million GG the 2 films were just great to see and was just as if the place had'nt changed to what it is now ..If only we could put back the clock to see St Georges X , Charing X and Maryhill Road as they were. It was just lovely and the wee single decker Duntocher tram on its last trip through Brigton X and Glesca X would bring a tear to a glass eye Brilliant !!! yours Big Les Glasgow

Thanks Les, a pleasure to share them. And thanks for your great memories of your tram journeys Wilson's Zoo, great stuff. You might enjoy this topic:

Wilson's Zoo On Oswald Street
http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15899

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.