Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last Night Of The Trams, Fifty years ago tonight
angel
post 5th Sep 2012, 12:19am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
It is a great video brings back happy memories .

Going from Partick to whiteinch to get to the Medwyn st. swimming pool. going from Partick to Yoker , to get the Renfrew ferry to that swimming pool .

I had an aunt who was a conductess on the trams and when she was on the Anniesland run we would hop her tram to Anniesland cross and not pay our fare , wub.gif then walk to my other Aunts house , and she fed us , all great fun for us kids . biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
okiegal
post 5th Sep 2012, 01:40am
Post #17

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,142
That youtube video made me laugh & cry. Every Sunday we got on the caur at Maitland St. & went to my granny's in Maryhill. My granny lived in Bilsland Drive & this was a Sunday ritual during the forties until 1954. The memories this brought back were all good & they were certainly for sure "The Good Old Days".

Came to New York 1961 & have been in Oklahoma since 1976 [married an okie] still & always will be a Glesga lassie.My husband, kids & grandkids are American & I am the only alien in the house. I've been here 51 years & never wanted to change as I will always be proud of my heritage. That's my choice but everyone has the right to choose what's right for them. Thank you GG.

+Quote Post
*Ina*
post 5th Sep 2012, 04:26am
Post #18

Thank you very much, really enjoyed that. I spent the first 19 years of my life in the East end of Glasgow and wish I had a dollar for every time I used the tramcars. Most days i used them for going to high school and then to go to my work in an office on St. Vincent street, I used them 4 times a day (home for lunch). Going to the Palais or other dance Halls was another trip on the tram. What a wonderful and cheap way to go and a lot of fun too, everyone talked to each other.

We have visited the Transport Museum a few times on our trips home to Scotland from Ontario Canada (emigrated in 1957).

Thanks for the memory,
Ina Patience.

+Quote Post
Bejasus
post 5th Sep 2012, 04:33am
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,200
okiegal, I was in Oklahoma last week. Unfortunately, it was following a family bereavement, but I have been there quite a few times. Also the company I work for, has been based in Duncan,
OK since forever.

+Quote Post
Bejasus
post 5th Sep 2012, 04:35am
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,200
I was there when the last tram passed along Argyle St. I may still have the bent pennies we laid on the track for the tram to run over. My dad was also a tram driver. thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Elma
post 5th Sep 2012, 05:24am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I stood outside the Tram Depot on Albert Drive Pollokshields that night with my husband and 18 month old son. We lived in Kenmure Street, round the corner from the Depot so it was easy for us to get there. I remember the parade of the old and new(er) trams as they went into the building.

When I was last in Glasgow in 2008 I had a lovely lunch in the garden in the now Tramway Theatre with Stratson before visiting her allotment in the New Victory Gardens and walking round Pollokshields. Thanks Stratson for a lovely afternoon, I rekindled old memories that day. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Megrose
post 5th Sep 2012, 06:30am
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,335
I grew up in the Royston area in the 1940s/1950s and remember, as a child, travelling on the trams along Royston Road into the city. My dad and granddad both worked on the trams in their times - 1920s/1940s. Thanks for the video, it brings back some lovely memories.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 5th Sep 2012, 06:50am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Members may find this link useful:-

http://www.semple.biz/glasgow/gct%20tram%20routes2.shtml

In my day, the 15 from Anderston Cross, and the 23 from Gairbraid Avenue both went to Airdrie. The ride from Baillieston lights to Coatbridge on the private track was like a scary carnival ride to us, as the trams swung wildly, seeming to almost hit the posts. Latterly both services terminated at Baillieston.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Christine13
post 5th Sep 2012, 07:11am
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,843
QUOTE (GG @ 4th Sep 2012, 08:43pm) *
Those were the days, my friends. A big bit of Glasgow nostalgia: exactly fifty years ago tonight, 4th September 1962, the trams fell silent in Glasgow. At least 250,000 people are thought to have watched the last tram procession in the city. The final route on that momentous night was from Dalmarnock tram depot in the east end through to the city centre and down Pollokshaws Road to Coplawhill tramworks, which two years later was to become the city's first transport museum.

See this fantastic Youtube video: http://youtu.be/kO2DmTnXlDA

Hankies at the ready! Do you have any memories of the trams?

GG.

I was in ruby street as a child watching the last trams, I am sure the Lady Provost Jean Roberts was there, I lived in the next street to the tram depot.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 5th Sep 2012, 07:36am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Must admit that the last night of the trams kind of passed me by, I was thirteen and thought that the move to get rid of them was a good idea. Well I suppose they were impractical in the form they were in then, but like a lot of the disused rail lines, the baby got thrown out with the bath water.

I see that a modernised Coronation tram has been installed at the new Museum of Transport for a short period of time. Without knowing the practicalities, I wonder if anyone has looked at the possiblility of installing a short line between the city centre and the new museum and running some of the old tramcars as both a service and living exhibit. They did have at least one running at Summerlee, would it be possible or cost effective?

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 5th Sep 2012, 07:39am
Post #26

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
We did occasional runs fae Coatbridge tae Glasgow on the trams. You used tae think "will it be an old tram or a new tram?"

There was a boy at our primary (St Pat's) whose bicycle wheel got caught in a tram line and he was killed, we were told.

There is a nice piece of archive film on Baxter's Buses, for those from the Airdrie/Coatbridge area. As well as showing the buses, there are some shots of the tram lines being lifted.

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=6101

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 5th Sep 2012, 07:59am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks for the lonk, Farrochie- will watch at my leisure. I was lucky to escape serious consequences when my wheel got stuck in the tramline betwwn Blackcroft Road and Carrick Drive
on Baillieston Road. A tram was coming down the road towards me.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 5th Sep 2012, 08:06am
Post #28

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 5th Sep 2012, 09:14am) *
Thanks for the lonk, Farrochie- will watch at my leisure. I was lucky to escape serious consequences when my wheel got stuck in the tramline betwwn Blackcroft Road and Carrick Drive
on Baillieston Road. A tram was coming down the road towards me.

bilbo.s, you are a Shettleston man? I lived 553 Old Shettleston Rd way back in the '50s, then I worked as a barman in "The Drum" during my student days.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 5th Sep 2012, 08:10am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Farrochie, if you care to search back my posts under Shettleston, all will be revealed. I was brought up at 822 and 844 from 1942 -1953 and then moved to North Mount Vernon until I was 20.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Sep 2012, 08:27am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (farrochie @ 5th Sep 2012, 08:54am) *
... there are some shots of the tram lines being lifted.

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=6101

And here is a shot of the Customs Post between Basel (Switzerland) and Weil am Rhein (Germany) being demolished.... (looking into the Swiss side from Germany)

Attached Image

... so a new tram line can bring this No.8 tram from Basel into Weil am Rhein. tongue.gif

Attached Image

Makes it easier for both sides to get round parking problems on shopping days. thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.