Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where I Was Born, How About You?
tombro
post 7th Jul 2009, 10:47am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Thanks, Magpie, for your reply to my post !

Sadly, I don't remember much of Nethan Street as I was born in 1950 and my earliest memories are of living in at 25 Fruin Street in Possil. Somewhere around late '54 early '55 we moved to Drumchapel and at the end of 1960 my family emigrated to Sydney, Australia.

Unfortunately I have never had an opportunity to return to the place of my birth, so I use GG as an outlet to seek information on my heritage. Every now and again I get lucky and hit someone or something with a link to my past and I get a big kick out of that !

Interestingly, the post immediately following yours was made by Stratson, the first person who ever replied to one of my posts on GG.

Thanks for taking the time to add another little bit of kindling to my Glasgow Memories.

Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 30th Sep 2009, 04:08pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
I was born at 27 Sussex Street, just past Paisley Road Toll. My wife was born in Lora Drive, Bellahouston, but moved shortly thereafter to Wallace Street when the depression hit. You can see many of these streets in "Google Earth"

+Quote Post
joycewilson
post 6th Nov 2009, 08:31pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,109
I was born in Rottenrow Hospital but lived in Tormusk Road in castlemilk till my teens then parents moved to Crosshill, I got a flat at 474 cathcart Road then moved to 66 Govanhill Street, from there moved to Rutherglen where I still am.

+Quote Post
Biancax3
post 7th Nov 2009, 06:26am
Post #19

Resident
Member No.: 5,837
southern general - whiteinch biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
auchenshuggle
post 3rd Dec 2009, 07:30pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,409
i was born at duke street hospital, i do`nt remember much aboot it , as i was very young at the time. laugh.gif

--------------------
i saw a coo upon a hill its no there noo it mustve vanished.

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 25th Dec 2009, 03:00pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
I was born in Annick St Shettleston, sad to say it doesn't exist anymore sad.gif

+Quote Post
jock
post 25th Dec 2009, 07:05pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Born at home, 18 Simpson St. Maryhill in tenement long gone.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 26th Dec 2009, 07:23pm
Post #23

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
I was born up the Gillshie but all the tenements have been knocked down my mother was born in the same house i was born in we even went to the same school and that is gone now . I have not been up Maryhill in a good number of years but i bet most of it has been changed .I have lived here in Canada now since 1964 and some times i get a few tears in my eye it doesnt matter how long you are away you sure do miss it

+Quote Post
sylviathom
post 26th Dec 2009, 10:53pm
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,852
QUOTE (ninab @ 23rd Jun 2009, 01:08pm) *
I was also born in the Maternity Hospital Glasgow in Rottenrow..21st March 1941..My parents (John and Helena Green) lived then in Borron Street which I believe has been torn down...We then moved to Finnieston....and from there down to London. My mother was from London and my little sister had died in 1944 so my mum wanted to get out of Glasgow.
I returned when I was 15/16 and met my first husband (From Kinning Park) and we lived in McClellan Street. Famous I believe for being the longest street in Glasgow without a break!! Then we moved up to Thurso to work at Dounreay!! Total gadabouts in those days.Does anyone remember him or his family...Ringland McRoberts? Father was also Ringland,mother Annie (total battleaxe,all 4ft 4inches of her) and brother was Alex...He lived in Dennistoun and was a bouncer at Anniesland?

I was also born in the Maternity Hospital Glasgow in Rottenrow..21st March 1941..My parents (John and Helena Green) lived then in Borron Street which I believe has been torn down...We then moved to Finnieston....and from there down to London. My mother was from London and my little sister had died in 1944 so my mum wanted to get out of Glasgow.
I returned when I was 15/16 and met my first husband (From Kinning Park) and we lived in McClellan Street. Famous I believe for being the longest street in Glasgow without a break!! Then we moved up to Thurso to work at Dounreay!! Total gadabouts in those days.Does anyone remember him or his family...Ringland McRoberts? Father was also Ringland,mother Annie (total battleaxe,all 4ft 4inches of her) and brother was Alex...He lived in Dennistoun and was a bouncer at Anniesland?

+Quote Post
DOLKIN
post 27th Dec 2009, 01:00am
Post #25

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
QUOTE (Cameron @ 26th Dec 2009, 07:21pm) *
I was born up the Gillshie but all the tenements have been knocked down my mother was born in the same house i was born in we even went to the same school and that is gone now . I have not been up Maryhill in a good number of years but i bet most of it has been changed .I have lived here in Canada now since 1964 and some times i get a few tears in my eye it doesnt matter how long you are away you sure do miss it

i lived in the gilshie for 25 yrs since 1975 moved there at aged 9 first inside toilet and loved every year of it was a great place to grow up and an education into the bargain remember most of the old red sandstone building cambell st sandbank st viewmont drive made a fortune as a kid collecting scrap and even sold the old slates off the roof

+Quote Post
murphy
post 27th Dec 2009, 05:12am
Post #26

Settling In
Member No.: 7,887
I was born in Tollcross in Altyre Street, I lived there till 1961 moved to London and the to the US. been here since 1967, my brother just passed away 2 weeks ago now I have no contacts at home feel pretty bad. I am trying to find an old friend his name was Joseph McClafferty he lived in Blackhill went to the Denny Palais and Crossmyloof does anyone know him. Love the site. Irene.

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 27th Dec 2009, 08:00am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Alas another great place Redlands Hospital is no longer, hey but I'm still here biggrin.gif

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 27th Dec 2009, 09:14pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Cameron @ 26th Dec 2009, 07:21pm) *
. I have not been up Maryhill in a good number of years . me neither pal laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 27th Dec 2009, 09:21pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (murphy @ 27th Dec 2009, 06:10am) *
I was born in Tollcross in Altyre Street, I lived there till 1961 moved to London and the to the US. been here since 1967, my brother just passed away 2 weeks ago now I have no contacts at home feel pretty bad. I am trying to find an old friend his name was Joseph McClafferty he lived in Blackhill went to the Denny Palais and Crossmyloof does anyone know him. Love the site. Irene.

A warm Welcome to the boards Irene. You'll soon make many friendly contacts here. Just keep posting.
All the best for 2010.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 27th Dec 2009, 09:31pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi all born in carbeth st possilpark 1945 left 1963 to oz now nz lved above this shop saddly houses all gone

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.