Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Model Lodging Houses
linlou
post 19th Jan 2008, 09:50pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,317
hi does any one out there know how the name model lodging house came about which was then shortend to being just called the model in which homeless and down on there luck men stayed i think it was only men who stayed in them ? there were a few of in and around glasgow many years ago a few in anderston and duke street area
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 20th Jan 2008, 03:37am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Welcome, linlou, to the Glasgow Guide. You will find many interesting topics, some serious and many lighthearted. You will also make friends.

You have asked about model lodging houses. I have never heard them referred to as "model" lodging houses, but I can tell you that at the beginning of the 20th century there were many of these lodgings for men who were down on their luck and destitute. Sometimes they were called Doss Houses. I believe you are right that women were excluded from these lodging houses. For many who became ill Barnhill, or the Poorshouse, was where they would die. I know that there was one in Anderston.

Can I ask why you are interested?

+Quote Post
DavieBoy
post 23rd Jan 2008, 12:39am
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,273
Linlou, I worked as a beatman (polis) in the east end in the mid 80's, back then there was a number of these places, The Great Eastern in Duke St, The Bellgrove Hotel, in the Gallowgate, Broad St at the back of London Rd polis station, Bell St up at the barra's, and like you've said. were all male. However, I remember that there was one down in Dalmarnock, Norman St, that had both men and wimen. Had the nickname of "loveboat" for some strange reason. I don't know if it's still on the go (hopefully not). There is also one down next to the High Ct, facing onto the Clyde.

+Quote Post
betty2
post 23rd Jan 2008, 01:06am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
Welcome DavieBoy tae GG enjoy rolleyes.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
Aman
post 23rd Jan 2008, 10:22am
Post #5

Resident
Member No.: 4,554
Linlou, I believe the 'model' was used to describe what was believed to be a Model of how lodging houses should be.
The Glasgow ryming slang they became known by some of the residents as 'The deedle doddle"!

I worked with Glasgow Corporation in the 60's & 70's and part of my job was maintenence work in these buildings.
I rememeber the Abercromby Street one before it burnt down. The Kitchen area in these places used to have a huge 'hotplate, fuelled by coal and kept going 24hours, it served as a cooking area and was also a place to keep warm in the winter.
Most of the models were old building about 5 storeys high with large almost warehouse areas filled with rows of wee wooden cubicles and rough as hell.
The cubicles were open at the top and had a wire mesh covering, presumablt to stop the residents throwing stuff over the top.
Inside the cubicles were a wee bed and a small cupboard. Most of the men had very little in personal possessions and what they ahd they took out with them during the day.

It was a miserable existinece for most although there were some guys who worked but were separated from their families.
They were terrible places to work and my Journeyman at the time used to say(wirh great regularity) There but for the Grace of God etc.

I woked in most of them and they were all laid out exactly the same. They may have been 'Models' in the 19th Century, but by the time I worked in them they were run down, miserable and in The case of Abercromby street,definite fire hazards.

+Quote Post
DavieBoy
post 23rd Jan 2008, 11:00am
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,273
Aman, your right, it was a terrible existence for the poor unfortunates that had to live in them. I know that the staff that worked in them tried, but I would say you had to be really down on your luck, before you would consider moving into one. More often than not, it was old wino's, ex cons, the mentally ill and those that had just given up trying. It would certainly be a terrifying place to find yourself in.
I have been in all those, with the exception of the female model next to the High Court, that I mentioned earlier. It was a common sight, seeing two (or more) polis sittin in the dinning area each mornin, wae their hats and raincoats off, havin their breakfast.
I see, that the city council are now closing these places down and have been doing so for a couple of years now. What are they doing with the inhabitants, some of them can barely function normally as it is, with the support and companionship that these places offered. huh.gif

+Quote Post
*Rhj296*
post 4th Nov 2009, 12:32pm
Post #7

My grandfather, left his home in maryhill to move into the 'model' in anderson. Don't know where it was. fascinating guy, don't know what was going on in his head at the time but from the descriptions above this must have been a desperate measure. He was hardly the model parent even by the standard of the times. I think he gave up on his house in order to concentrate more fully on the drinking with his buddies. Were all the 'models' wet or dry, I wonder ?

This was in the early to mid sixties. He never did me any harm and caused great offence in the family by giving me a Triang tricycle for my 3rd birthday. He bought it with money he won at the bookies. My mothers rant at the time, still rings down the years "he never bought me a thing, and pawned the little we had".

Would love to know where it was and if it is still in existence. However this I doubt.

+Quote Post
*brian L*
post 9th Jan 2011, 10:20pm
Post #8

I remember the one on Duke St, from the outside. I used to regularly walk past it on my way home from work n the 1980s. I never realised it was a 'model' lodging. I knew it provided accommodation for people (men) down on their luck, but thought it looked as if it had been grand at one time and was once a posh hotel that was down on its luck and converted to house the homeless. I just read 'Down and Out in Paris and London' by George Orwell. He describes Rowton Houses in London that were architecturally grand but built for the homeless. I wondered if there was anything similar in my home town of Glasgow and googled it. Hence this message. I was amazed to find that the 'hotel' I remember was one such building. From reading Orwell, life inside may have been grim, but when he describes the alternatives, and this is in the 1930s, it sounds as if they were very much there to make the best of a bad situation. I only hope that the days when there are so many people on the streets that it can be worthwhile for someone to build such places and find that they are filled to capacity - even if they are considered grand at the time...

+Quote Post
wheeghee
post 8th Feb 2011, 10:26pm
Post #9

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,999
The Bellgrove Hotel Gallowgate is the worst Model in Glasgow. unsure.gif

--------------------
Nullis in verba

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 9th Feb 2011, 12:23am
Post #10

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,576
hers 2 photos of a model in burn st at the round toll cowcaddens cheers c/b sorry second photo is a model my wife lol

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 9th Feb 2011, 12:30am
Post #11

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,576
hers the other photo model

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
gordyboy
post 9th Sep 2011, 10:38am
Post #12

Settling In
Member No.: 10,987
Hi Linlou I work for a Homeless charity in a Hostel beside Stewart Street Police station,
Model lodging houses were predominately for men who were working away from home and were considered a step up from the poor houses of the day.
Today Glasgow still has many Hostels catering for our homeless population,
The Councils Hostels are all shutting down as the staff that worked in them had no control over there residents and they were saturated with drugs and the violence was an everyday occurance.
The worst Hostel that is left in the City centre ( my clients opinions ) is Hope house in Clyde Street,
It is better known as Hopeless House and is "run" by the Salvation Army and I use the term "run" loosely as the Staff supposedly lock themselves away in there office and let the lunatics run the asylum....

+Quote Post
gordyboy
post 9th Sep 2011, 10:44am
Post #13

Settling In
Member No.: 10,987
QUOTE (DavieBoy @ 23rd Jan 2008, 11:46am) *
Aman, your right, it was a terrible existence for the poor unfortunates that had to live in them. I know that the staff that worked in them tried, but I would say you had to be really down on your luck, before you would consider moving into one. More often than not, it was old wino's, ex cons, the mentally ill and those that had just given up trying. It would certainly be a terrifying place to find yourself in.
I have been in all those, with the exception of the female model next to the High Court, that I mentioned earlier. It was a common sight, seeing two (or more) polis sittin in the dinning area each mornin, wae their hats and raincoats off, havin their breakfast.
I see, that the city council are now closing these places down and have been doing so for a couple of years now. What are they doing with the inhabitants, some of them can barely function normally as it is, with the support and companionship that these places offered. huh.gif

Super Resident the Council is spending about 30 million£ ( announced a few years before the resection hit )
building smaller Hostels in various areas in the city one of the first is in Fordneuk Street.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 9th Sep 2011, 10:53am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
One of my daughters used to do voluntary work in The Great Eastern. Mostly in the soup kitchen on a Saturday morning. I remember her saying that although the men were polite and friendly in the Home if she met them outside on the street they wouldn't recognise or speak to her. I felt an awful sadness about that, they were probably ashamed outside in the street because of where she knew them from.

+Quote Post
0141black
post 30th Sep 2011, 12:12pm
Post #15

Visitor
Member No.: 11,825
Hence the phrase directed at incompetent managers (often of pubs), that they "couldny run a two-bed model".

--------------------
website - facebook - (please "like) - twitter - @glasgownoir

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.