Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Boxing Clubs, Boxing
stuarty
post 5th Dec 2008, 03:35pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
he was born in the late 18 hundreds as he served in the 1st world war and was 30 years older than my granny and his name was john mc cormack blinded in the war and was given a heros funeral if that helps any a dont know a suppose a would need to talk to my aunty theresa she might know if he had brothers ohmy.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*John Agius*
post 3rd Feb 2009, 04:55pm
Post #17

QUOTE (angel @ 1st Nov 2008, 01:05am) *
I remember when Cowboy McCormack was boxing, although never knew him,
does anyone remember what he did in life after boxing

I was stationed with John McCormack in Germany 1954-55. We were at RAF Celle. I was into weight lifting and used the same gym as John. His trainer was a Maltese Staff Seargent. He boxed for our station and needless to say he never lost a bout. After he returned to Scotland we never kept in touch.

+Quote Post
*Paul Mc Manus*
post 12th Feb 2009, 12:59pm
Post #18

QUOTE (beckettjim @ 16th Dec 2004, 06:57pm) *
does anybody remember the bantaskin boxing club in the butney.this would be early to late fifties. john[cowboy ]mccormack boxed there. he was the british and european middleweight champion. remember him boxing and beating terry downs. his mother lived right across the street next to the bantaskin bar.the club later became carney's the bookie, which was run my the mcmanus family. one of the brothers also played for maryhill harp, which i also played for in 1962, later it was disbandoned when the pitch was used for housing.

I am the son of John Patrick McManus who played for the Maryhill Harp in 1962. I drove through the Butney with my Dad last week. They have demolished Bantskin St. and all the rest. Spare ground layen there with all those memories. I am sure my Dad will know you jim, he knows everybody and all his reminising is about the Butney. Benny Lynch was a regular down there.

+Quote Post
*simon graham*
post 27th Jun 2009, 05:15pm
Post #19

Does any one remember a Simon Graham of maryhill that could have used the bantaskin boxing gym in the 1950s.

+Quote Post
**pwm437**
post 11th Jul 2009, 07:31am
Post #20

As a boy in the late 1960's I attended Joe Aitchison's boxing club (sometimes referred to as Dalmarnock Boxing Club) at Dalmarnock Road.

Access to it was via a close, up a stair and then down a stair into the backcourt where the gym was. Joe was a lovely man and knew the boxing game inside out.

+Quote Post
*Joe McAllister*
post 7th Sep 2009, 04:27pm
Post #21

QUOTE (angel @ 1st Nov 2008, 01:35am) *
I remember when Cowboy McCormack was boxing, although never knew him,
does anyone remember what he did in life after boxing

Cowboy worked offshore on the oil rigs for many years, and also as a ceiling fixer. I remember a foreman shopfitter telling me about a big ceiling fixer bullshitting about earning 250,000 in the ring, said his name was John McCormack. I asked if he had bow legs, yes he replied very. He wasent bullshitting he was the genuine article, I replied.

+Quote Post
*ian dick*
post 7th Oct 2009, 02:53pm
Post #22

does any one remember the transport abc gym in forneuk street ? the trainner was called blondie mcwean was a great club still standing but sadly not used anymore

+Quote Post
**wullie**
post 15th Nov 2009, 12:03pm
Post #23

The Glasgow Transport used to be really busy but then it ended up with not many people there. It was a gym with a lot of character at some point though. The Kelvin Club in Govanhill is a similar charismatic club. U sometimes feel u r training in a place that has a lot of social history

+Quote Post
*ian dick*
post 23rd Nov 2009, 03:13pm
Post #24

QUOTE (*wullie* @ 15th Nov 2009, 12:01pm) *
The Glasgow Transport used to be really busy but then it ended up with not many people there. It was a gym with a lot of character at some point though. The Kelvin Club in Govanhill is a similar charismatic club. U sometimes feel u r training in a place that has a lot of social history

do you know why not many people went there in the end? when i was training at the transport gym people like gary jacobs and paul weir where also there .did you know blondie ?

+Quote Post
**Ross**
post 14th Nov 2011, 03:12pm
Post #25

Glasgow Transport was run by Blondie for years but it slowly lost people and he hardly charged anything (1 over 18s and 50p under). I went there for 3 years back around 1996 and I hear it shut down a few years later. Gary Jacobs, Drew Docherty and Paul Wier frequented the place and I trained with those guys more than a few times over the years. I have a picture of all three and Blondie.

I recently heard that Blondie passed away a couple years ago. He was an awesome manager and a cool guy.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 31st May 2015, 04:36pm
Post #26

Hello folks, doing a little reading here about British boxing, a relatively new subject for me. Im looking at Johnny Caldwell, and a few newspaper articles refer to him as being trained by Joe Aitchison at his Glasgow gym during at least 1960 and 1961, during Caldwell's run with the Bantamweight belt. Boxrec lists a Joe Aitcheson out of Australia fighting in the 40s. Is it one and the same guy?

+Quote Post
*andy weir*
post 11th Oct 2017, 05:45pm
Post #27

QUOTE (*Ross* @ 14th Nov 2011, 03:12pm) *
Glasgow Transport was run by Blondie for years but it slowly lost people and he hardly charged anything (1 over 18s and 50p under). I went there for 3 years back around 1996 and I hear it shut down a few years later. Gary Jacobs, Drew Docherty and Paul Wier frequented the place and I trained with those guys more than a few times over the years. I have a picture of all three and Blondie.

I recently heard that Blondie passed away a couple years ago. He was an awesome manager and a cool guy.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.