Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Extras Wanted - Scots Need Not Apply, World War Z Zombie movie
Dave Grieve
post 13th Jul 2011, 11:46am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
You will be welcome Ionnsagh, and I know just the african market I can take you to for you to buy the biggest wooden spoon. lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ionnsaigh
post 13th Jul 2011, 02:31pm
Post #32

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,122
As long as it's big enough to sharpen one end. wink.gif

--------------------
The Dear Green Place.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 13th Jul 2011, 02:53pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Dont need tae, you can get an Assegai and Keerie and for good measure a Shambok for the wans that dont want tae listen.

+Quote Post
ionnsaigh
post 14th Jul 2011, 09:52am
Post #34

Super Lord Provost
To frighten their antagonists the Kaffirs spring about shaking their light shields and beating them with their knees holding this defensive weapon with the bundle of assegais and kcerie in the left hand they quiver a single assegai in the right uttering short cries of rage and defiance and with their horned head gear ami waving mantle they have really a very savage and warlike appearance TheKaf irs balance and quiver the assegai before throwing it can hurl it a distance of seventy or eighty yards through the air are certain of their aim at 50 yards and at a distance of fifteen or twenty yard throw it so sharply under handed that it is impossible to see or parry the blow When they wish to stab at close quarters they break off the blade from the shaft Some of Hie Amatembie and Amaponda javelins of this kind are barbed like a harpoon and the Zoolahs use a stout stabbing assegai engage hand to hand think it cowardly to throw their weapon at a distance and from under cover and are much dreaded by their neighbors in consequence of their desperate outsets.

The Army and Navy chronicle, Volumes 4-5.
Perhaps I made a rather hasty decision.

Hello Sydney, welcome to my world.......

--------------------
The Dear Green Place.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 14th Jul 2011, 10:29am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Times change if I was to use the K word i could end up in jail.
The Shambok is a whip made from leather that is used to keep cattle in line and moving forward.
Could be used on some shumans also. lol

+Quote Post
ionnsaigh
post 14th Jul 2011, 10:45am
Post #36

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 14th Jul 2011, 10:05am) *
Times change if I was to use the K word i could end up in jail.
The Shambok is a whip made from leather that is used to keep cattle in line and moving forward.
Could be used on some shumans also. lol

Yes I had problems with that term also, however I think it gives an insight.
The Shambok, is a whip, well well, thanks for the info, ta ( I envisaged some sort of hurling stick )
Must be the Irish in me, and I'm not taking the Mick.......oops there's another one.

--------------------
The Dear Green Place.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 14th Jul 2011, 02:16pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ionnsaigh @ 14th Jul 2011, 11:28am) *
To frighten their antagonists the Kaffirs spring about shaking their light shields and beating them with their knees holding this defensive weapon with the bundle of assegais and kcerie in the left hand they quiver a single assegai in the right uttering short cries of rage and defiance and with their horned head gear ami waving mantle they have really a very savage and warlike appearance TheKaf irs balance and quiver the assegai before throwing it can hurl it a distance of seventy or eighty yards through the air are certain of their aim at 50 yards and at a distance of fifteen or twenty yard throw it so sharply under handed that it is impossible to see or parry the blow When they wish to stab at close quarters they break off the blade from the shaft Some of Hie Amatembie and Amaponda javelins of this kind are barbed like a harpoon and the Zoolahs use a stout stabbing assegai engage hand to hand think it cowardly to throw their weapon at a distance and from under cover and are much dreaded by their neighbors in consequence of their desperate outsets.

The Army and Navy chronicle, Volumes 4-5.
Perhaps I made a rather hasty decision.

Hello Sydney, welcome to my world.......

I read a report years ago that the main reason the Zulus won the Battle of Ishandlwana is because some pennny pinching chinless wonder at the War Office had decided that it would be more cost effective if the ammunition boxs were changed from wooden with a padlock to metal boxs with a built in lock.
When the British split their forces the ammuntion boxs went to Ishandlwana while the keys went in the opposite direction. apparantly a lot of the soldiers were discovered close to the boxs with their finger nails broken of because of desperatly trying to get to the ammunition.
Also the battle several days later at Rorkes Drift made famous in the film Zulu had the most VC's ever awarded in one engagment, mainly it's said to deflect attention away from the War Office.

+Quote Post
ionnsaigh
post 14th Jul 2011, 04:18pm
Post #38

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 14th Jul 2011, 01:52pm) *
I read a report years ago that the main reason the Zulus won the Battle of Ishandlwana is because some pennny pinching chinless wonder at the War Office had decided that it would be more cost effective if the ammunition boxs were changed from wooden with a padlock to metal boxs with a built in lock.
When the British split their forces the ammuntion boxs went to Ishandlwana while the keys went in the opposite direction. apparantly a lot of the soldiers were discovered close to the boxs with their finger nails broken of because of desperatly trying to get to the ammunition.
Also the battle several days later at Rorkes Drift made famous in the film Zulu had the most VC's ever awarded in one engagment, mainly it's said to deflect attention away from the War Office.

Penny pinching chinless wonder at the War Office, many many years ago, in a pub that shall remain nameless ( I forget the name ) I had many a discussion with Liam Fox. Never was a name better suited.
That's a very interesting account Dave, just goes to show how the old boy network, works, particularly when covering things up.

--------------------
The Dear Green Place.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 14th Jul 2011, 05:13pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I see some of the film is now to be shot in Cornwall.
I suppose it's now "No Choughs need apply". tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 13th Aug 2011, 09:09am
Post #40

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Was in the toon yesterday and saw the cooncil notices on lamposts - very high tech!! - saying that filming would be going on for this zombie movie around George Square. Wonder if any of the great and the good from the city chambers emerge into the action.... no make up or props required!! smile.gif

Read in the paper that the extras have been banned from using their mobile phones on the set and it they Twitter or take photos then they are to be turfed out straight away.

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Aug 2011, 08:09pm
Post #41

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The production team for World War Z arrived in Glasgow today. They're busy converting George Square and surrounding streets into downtown Philadelphia ... should be some interesting photo opportunities over the next couple of weeks.

World War Z production comes to Glasgow

... The production will involve almost 1200 people during the two week filming schedule which ends on 31 August, 2011. It is estimated that during the two weeks of filming, the movie will bring well in excess of 2 million to the local economy of Glasgow.

Glasgow Film Office has been working with the production over the past few months to help secure locations in the city and co-ordinating arrangements with council departments and other public bodies to ensure minimal impact on normal business and access.

As a result of the filming of World War Z, there will be motorist and pedestrian restrictions at various times from midnight (00:01 hours) on 15 August to midnight (23:59 hours) on 31 August.

Road closures

The following streets around the City Chambers and George Square will be closed to motorists; Cochrane Street; South Frederick Street; Hanover Street; George Square (north side of the Square from North Hanover Street, east and south side); North Frederick Street (from George Square to Martha Street); George Street (from George Square to John Street); and North Hanover Street from the junction with George Square.

Motorists will get access to Queen Street Station for south and northbound traffic. North Hanover Street southbound traffic is closed from Queen Street Station onwards. Access northbound from George Square is unaffected except Sundays 21 and 28 August when George Square will be closed.

Pedestrian restrictions

Pedestrians access to the George Square area will be maintained although routes may vary and all businesses will be open. The square will be marshalled by the production and by police officers during filming and pedestrians may be asked to stop for a couple of minutes while the camera is rolling. We would like to thank everyone in advance for their patience.

Glasgow is the centre of the film and television production industry in Scotland, which has contributed 150 million to the city’s economy over the last decade.

The film production and Glasgow City Council have been communicating with local residents and business to explain the changes that will take place during filming of World War Z.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Melody
post 16th Aug 2011, 08:03am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
It would be great working in The Chambers, they'll all be hanging out the windows. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 16th Aug 2011, 10:21pm
Post #43

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
It sure will be the best view, Melody. I wonder if they've been told – like the extras – that they can't use their vantage point to film/photograph?

On that note, I forgot my camera today, so couldn't get any photos! Will try and get some tomorrow ... it's a rather unique event to see the 'Americanisation' of George Square.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Elma
post 17th Aug 2011, 05:34am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,650
I checked out the Glasgow webcams of George Square but was disappointed, didn't see much going on at the time. It might get better as the week goes on but it would be interesting to see it all. Hope you get some good pictures Martin.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 17th Aug 2011, 07:06am
Post #45

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Going to go down town today to see what all the fuss is about as it must be quite a site to see all this movie mania disruption going on. The taxi drivers must love all the changes and restrictions!!

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Apr 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.