Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1550 Pages V  « < 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dear Diary, A wee daily blether....
Dave Grieve
post 18th Mar 2017, 01:04pm
Post #23146

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 18th Mar 2017, 09:26am) *
Maybe someone can enlighten me? My sister, who will be travelling with me in July, has been told that people over 70 cannot hire or drive a rental car. Neither of us is keen to drive around cities but we hope to spend 3 days in Arran, where I guess driving is a bit more sedate!

Any info would be welcome.

Cheers,
Betty

Living in SA i will have to get a medical certificate stating I am fit to drive the next time I have to renew my license (every 5 years) I have also been told that the car hire companies in SA are not keen on hiring to anyone over the age of 70.
70 seems to be the problem age.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 18th Mar 2017, 01:26pm
Post #23147

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
God morning , my mothers friend who is 86 years old has a doctors check-up now every 5 years if she wants to keep her car on the road, she was telling me yesterday that she has passed her check-up once more with flying colors. This is in Ontario.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 18th Mar 2017, 03:01pm
Post #23148

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
In Spain, after 65 you have to have a medical every renewal. This is for a maximum of 5 years, but can be for less, depending on medical conditions and medication. In UK I understand that 3 years is the maximum renewal period. As I said, different car rental firms have different age limits, no doubt due to their insurers. Some also impose a premium.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 18th Mar 2017, 04:22pm
Post #23149

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 18th Mar 2017, 01:26pm) *
God morning , my mothers friend who is 86 years old has a doctors check-up now every 5 years if she wants to keep her car on the road, she was telling me yesterday that she has passed her check-up once more with flying colors. This is in Ontario.

Ooops Just been told that she said every 2years ( carrection) smile.gif

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 18th Mar 2017, 04:24pm
Post #23150

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Bill how are things in Spain , are you still living there..Lass

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 18th Mar 2017, 06:16pm
Post #23151

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 18th Mar 2017, 05:24pm) *
Hi Bill how are things in Spain , are you still living there..Lass

Yep, still there, but a brief spell in Sunny(not) Airdrie until Tuesday, visiting family.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 18th Mar 2017, 07:48pm
Post #23152

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
My sister (who lives in Spain) now never drives when in the UK as she is so used to driving on the right side of the road. I don't think it will worry me driving in Arran, so between us we can manage. I believe there is some public transport on the island but a car would enable us to see a lot more. We spent many summer holidays in Whiting Bay as children with our extended family but it will be good to see some of the other places this visit.

I turned 75 earlier this month and had quite a thorough medical by my GP before my license was renewed - fairly straightforward, though and all okay for another five years.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 18th Mar 2017, 08:04pm
Post #23153

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 18th Mar 2017, 06:16pm) *
Yep, still there, but a brief spell in Sunny(not) Airdrie until Tuesday, visiting family.

Its all good , enjoy!

+Quote Post
angel
post 18th Mar 2017, 08:58pm
Post #23154

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

http://www.comfortlife.ca/blog/cognitive-t...-ontario-10620/

here in Ontario 80yr old drivers go through a
cognitive impairment test every two years
in order to renew their driving licence .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 19th Mar 2017, 03:34pm
Post #23155

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
It is the same in British Columbia, I just had mine on Thursday and passed - I hope. It costs $75.00 and is not covered by the Medical Plan sad.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 21st Mar 2017, 10:56am
Post #23156

Mega City Key Holder
Off home to Sunny Spain after 10 days of freezing winds and a little sunshine. Woke up to snow just to put the finishing touch. Had a good time visiting family. Only visited Glasgow for a few hours by train, as the roads are in chaos with the motorway works. Less than 2 hour drive from Malaga to home , but arrive home about 2 a.m.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 22nd Mar 2017, 06:13am
Post #23157

Mega City Key Holder
Drama this morning, a troop of about six or seven monkeys on the scrounge looking for breakfast so the doors and windows had to be closed. Not funny when at 7 in the morning its already about 27c.
Then when driving out we see a baby monkey that has been run over and killed just outside our gate with the mother dancing about crying, trying to get to its baby but unable to because of the traffic.
When I come back the baby and mother are gone so I presume she had managed to scoop the baby up.
The not nice to think of point to the story is that when the rest of the troop realise the baby is dead, they will all eat it.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 27th Mar 2017, 02:54am
Post #23158

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Well I see this thread is slipping down to the second division and we can't have that. It was MDW's birthday this week (her Paul McCartney birthday!) so it has been a whirlwind of neighbours and friends in and more than few birthday lunches, my new favourite thing to eat is fish tacos. However, I'm glad it s over and just in time since I might have had to get a new belt.(larger)

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 1st Apr 2017, 10:56am
Post #23159

Mega City Key Holder
Grandson off to Benfica today on trial. Can only wish him the best.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 10th Apr 2017, 10:12am
Post #23160

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Seems a wee bit quiet in here, the room getting dusty and cobwebs in the corner from lack of use. I'm speaking softly since there's a bit of an echo too. I guess all things pass, its been a good run since 2007 on the this thread.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post

1550 Pages V  « < 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.