Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvin Dale Paper Mill, Same
Lennox
post 18th Aug 2007, 02:11pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (Lennox @ 28th Aug 2004, 10:32 PM) *
My Uncle was a manager also at the mill till he retired/ mill closed... and my grandda worked there as long as I can remember.
Lennox

I just had to put a wee note here, due to an off the cuff comment, that I had made to some one, I have found "relataves" in Canada that know my G Uncle, it was a nice surprise to both of us.
the internet really makes you aware of just how small the world really is . wub.gif
Hopefully we will stay in touch and "our " uncle will be 99 years old later this month , my grandda's birthday would have been on the 20th .

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ros
post 27th Aug 2007, 02:37am
Post #47

Settling In
Member No.: 4,982
So glad some other peolpe remember the paper mills. My aunties Mary, Cathy and Betty Wingate worked at the mill at Kevindale. I think their sisters Edith and Margaret did also.

My granda Jack Wingate (known as English Jack) and my father Frank Wingate both worked at Dalsholm mill. Granda Jack was given a watch, which I still have, inscribed 'To J Wingate from the Staff 1952'.
He continued as the gate house man after this until he retired. He drank in the Rams Head pub.

I remember clearly going to Dalsholm mill on a Sunday afternoon with my brother to visit Dad and my Granda at work. There was always feral cats there and we were allowed to look but not to touch. I remeber walking over the brige so clearly, it seemed so much bigger then.

We lived in Arden Street, Maryhill (now football fields) at that time, moving later to Drumchapel. The rest of the family came originally from The Valley and up until recently Tresta road in the Cadder.

Sadly only one Auntie left now.

Dad left the mill and went to work for Glasgow Corporation as a joiner and worked in the Drumchapel area until he retired.

Apparently my Granda Jack's family worked the paper mills in Kent.

Rosalind Wingate

--------------------
You cant shake hands with a clenched fist and ye canne laugh with clenched buttocks!

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 30th Aug 2007, 05:44pm
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Ros , I am glad this promted some memories for you , I only have two aunty's left, and one uncle, sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Guest moray fraser **
post 21st Nov 2007, 12:18pm
Post #49

Hello folks,

Am glad to find I'm not the only person interested in Kelvindale Papermill etc. I lived in Daleview Avenue 1962-1981. One wet Saturday c. 1963, my dad took me (aged c.8) down Cleveden Road to the canal, then to the aqueduct - water over water!!! then down the lane through the Mill. Can't remember if I saw the locomotive moving that time or was it later. Anyway have been fascinated byr River Kelvin industry ever since. Now does anyone have any good pictures of the now disused railway bridge which crossed the Kelvin between the aqueduct and the railway bridge into the mill? There are only a few pinkish concete piers remaining, and the line entered a tunnel parallel to the canal, crossing under Cleveden Road on its way to Temple Gas works. I presume that line closed shortly after nationalisation in 1948 but I have never been able to find any information on it - just too obscure altogether. My dad used to work for Jebb Wastepaper(recycling) but he used to occasionally take home posters etc for products of Collins' mill.

Moray

+Quote Post
*Judy Mills*
post 30th Jul 2009, 08:45pm
Post #50

I came across these posts by accident when looking at Kelvindale on Google maps - it awakened memories and a great deal of emotion - but so lovely - thank you. I can add some more as a child at the end of the 50s and early 60s my favourite auntie and uncle lived at 28 The Cottages - the one on the end opposite the loading bay for the mill - the side where the toilets were. My uncle - Arthur Higgins worked in the mill for a great many years until he became ill after too many woodbines around 1972. He was the lovliest kindest man and worked a hughe machine that stirred the paper and I think might have added the colour. I used to wait for him by the office where the men clocked in - especially on Thursdays -- payday. I am now 54 and live in the West Midlands - my aunt Kitty Higgins was Dad's only relative - they originated from Leven in Fife where we lived until 1963. We often walked back along the Kelvin to the weir and where the old bits of bridge are - I have a memory of my mum and dad telling me there were a few houses there and my aunt and uncle lived in the before the move to the cottages - they were often flooded - this would have been early to mid- fifties. Sadly I don't have any photos but have very clear memories - also of walks to feed the squirrels in Dawsholme Park and along the Kelvin to the Botanic Gardens - I loved the hothouses especially the round one with the pool. I still visit Scotland and am proud of my scottish blood my mum is English. Sadly my dad died at age 47 in 1969 and my aunt in 1984. What a trip down memory lane - thank you for the opportunity. Judy

+Quote Post
*Carol Dunn*
post 22nd Aug 2009, 11:23am
Post #51

I found this forum by accident whilst searching Kelindale Papermill and my goodness the memories are flooding back.

My Grandpa was Willie Davidson a foreman within the papermill and I saw his name mentioned on a couple of posts. I have a very early picture when I must have been about 1 year old of myself and my gran and papa standing outside a big house on Kelvindale Road,I understand he lived there for years before moving to Stonefield Avenue which was just a few minutes walk up from the Mill.

My later memories of the Mill and its surrounding area,around 1971 when I was about 10 years was walking through a huge tree lined area(where we used to collect conkers)where there were derelict houses,I think the walk took you out at the mill cottages?I also remember the River Kelvin next to the Mill being very heavily polluted and my goodness it stank!!My papa used to tell me and my brother it stank because he washed his feet in it.

I also remember being very popular at primary school as I had samples of brightly coloured paper in vivid greens and pinks to show off,courtesy of my papa.

Does anyone remember or heard their relatives mention my papa Willie Davidson?,he was also a football referee.

+Quote Post
*Karen Kerr*
post 23rd Oct 2009, 07:14pm
Post #52

I just found this great site. My father was born in 1922 at 29 Kelvindale Cottages, his father Thomas Kerr was an electrical engineer at the papermill. The family moved to Viewmount drive in Maryhill I think probably because the housing development was beginning. I saw a posting from 2006 that someone else lived at number 12...was that after 1924 I wonder.

+Quote Post
*Dr Paul Rutherford*
post 4th Dec 2009, 04:42pm
Post #53

I remember the train still using this in 1958 early 1959

cheers

QUOTE (Guest moray fraser * @ 21st Nov 2007, 12:16pm) *
Hello folks,

Am glad to find I'm not the only person interested in Kelvindale Papermill etc. I lived in Daleview Avenue 1962-1981. One wet Saturday c. 1963, my dad took me (aged c.8) down Cleveden Road to the canal, then to the aqueduct - water over water!!! then down the lane through the Mill. Can't remember if I saw the locomotive moving that time or was it later. Anyway have been fascinated byr River Kelvin industry ever since. Now does anyone have any good pictures of the now disused railway bridge which crossed the Kelvin between the aqueduct and the railway bridge into the mill? There are only a few pinkish concete piers remaining, and the line entered a tunnel parallel to the canal, crossing under Cleveden Road on its way to Temple Gas works. I presume that line closed shortly after nationalisation in 1948 but I have never been able to find any information on it - just too obscure altogether. My dad used to work for Jebb Wastepaper(recycling) but he used to occasionally take home posters etc for products of Collins' mill.

Moray

+Quote Post
*moray*
post 21st Feb 2010, 09:56pm
Post #54

QUOTE (Dr Paul Rutherford @ 4th Dec 2009, 04:40pm) *
I remember the train still using this in 1958 early 1959

cheers

Really glad to hear from you. Can you tell me more about where exactly on this line you observed the train, and what was its make-up?

+Quote Post
*gmclachlan*
post 18th May 2010, 11:07pm
Post #55

Hi! Iwas interested to read this discussion as my Great Grandfather was a hereditary manager and member of the board of directors at Kelvindale paper mill, as where family members before him. His name was Alexander Allan. His son, my great uncle, Ramsay Allan, was being trained to be the next in line when the Great War broke out. Subsiquently he joined up and became a bomber pilot with the RFC, what later became the RAF. He was shot down and killed in 1918. He had three sisters thus ended the family connection to the post. My father told me that he and his brother hated the smell of the mill and didn't come up to scratch for the job! My father was in the RAF and so i was born in Kent. Dad was later posted back to Scotland in my early teens and I ended up back in Glasgow, where I met the lady who became my wife. Her mother spotted an aerial photo I have of the Mill and it turned out my wife's grandfather it turned out worked as a supervisor in the paper mill!

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 1st Jun 2010, 05:24pm
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (gmclachlan @ 19th May 2010, 01:10am) *
Dad was later posted back to Scotland in my early teens and I ended up back in Glasgow, where I met the lady who became my wife. Her mother spotted an aerial photo I have of the Mill and it turned out my wife's grandfather it turned out worked as a supervisor in the paper mill!

What was her name ? Welcome to GG .

--------------------

+Quote Post
daddymuzza
post 1st Jun 2010, 07:11pm
Post #57

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,434
[attachment=24664:paper_mill.jpg]picture from 70's

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
daddymuzza
post 1st Jun 2010, 07:19pm
Post #58

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,434
Railway no more

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
**Angela**
post 24th Dec 2010, 12:34am
Post #59

QUOTE (Tom @ 28th Aug 2004, 06:26pm) *
Hi Mags My brother-in law was a manager at the Kelvindale Paper Mill untill he retired his name was Charly Boyle.
This is an old picture of the area,it dosent look like you could build flats or anything else here.
Tom

Hi this photo is actuall of dawsholm paper mill which is on the other side of the canal futher along the river. you can see a photo of the same bridge on google earth...just type in dawsholm road and you will see a more recent pic of the same bridge just to the lest of dawsholm road

+Quote Post
*Angela Fitz*
post 24th Dec 2010, 12:38am
Post #60

QUOTE (Guest moray fraser * @ 21st Nov 2007, 11:56am) *
Hello folks,

Moray

Hi if you loos at mtchell libraray website they have a cracking aerial picture of kelvindale papaer mill showing the railway lines....

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...FsZSI7&pg=8

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.