Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1454 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
JAGZ1876
post 13th Feb 2013, 08:09am
Post #121

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Thanks for your kind words DannyH, its not difficult to debate a subject in a civil and courteous manner, especially with someone like yourself who asks reasonable intelligent questions and actually listens and digests the answers.

And don't worry about tongue in cheek questions, we love those on GG.

I accept that you were asking questions rather than a statement of fact.

I agree that Irish descendants do make an impact in all areas of politics (Glasgow City Council being one example) as to a lesser extent the Asian population who have representatives on both sides of this debate, and rightly so, as the outcome of next years referendum will have a huge impact on us all.

I don't know enough about Fiji to comment Danny and as i don't have a crystal ball i can't speculate on how Scotland will look in 100 years, but i do remember people making similar remarks about Irish descendants in the 60s/70s, those fears were groundless as will be the fears of Asians taking over the country with their Shania Twain law.

You take care Danny, and be careful if you go out in the snow.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 13th Feb 2013, 11:56pm
Post #122

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello Again JAGZ1876,

It's the Auld yin back again!

Thanks for your courteous reply.

I am back again because there one or two wee points I missed out in my first response to your post #101.

You say that you doubt if the USA worry about their elections being decided by immigrants.
You obviously keep up to date with what is going on in the world, so you must have forgotten that at the recent Prersidential elections, in the USA, 46% of the voters were of Hispanic origin. The reason there was such a surge in the numbers of Hispanicis taking part in the elections, was that the rules were changed to allow the descendants of illegal Hispanic immigrants to vote. Many of the non-Hispanic American citizens are very worried!

Regarding Fiji, I obtained my information via Google. The Fijian Indians are direct descendants of the Indian labourers brought to Fiji by the British in the late 19th century until 1916. The Fijian government is in the control of the Fijian Indians.

I can't recall any problems with the Scottish desendants of Irish immigrants trying to take over Scotland. Was it descendants of the Roman Catholic Irish? I can't see the members of the Orange Order being involved in that!

Anyone who lived in the tenements of Garscube Road, between Queens Cross and New City Road, will tell you that most of the streets off Garscube Road had a high Irish population. Streets like Lyon Street which was given a memorial plaque to commemorate the fact that nearly every family lost relatives fighting on our behalf during World War I. Oakbank Street, Lilac Place, Caithness Street, etc
They were a mix of Protestants and Roman Catholics Irish descendants of the original immigrants. I lived there and can't recall any talks of breaking away from the UK.

Finally, since I have learned that I am a descendant of an Irish family, I won't feel comfortable singing "Oh Flower of Scotland" at International football matches, anymore because my family were peasants in Ireland when the brave Scots were fighting for their country.

Regards to All

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th Feb 2013, 06:07pm
Post #123

Mega City Key Holder
Hi DannyH, the point i was making about the USA (rather poorly apparently) was that unless you are a Native American then you are of foreign descent.

I know you can't recall any problems of people of Irish descent trying to take over Scotland as it never happened, nor did i say that it did, i said that i could recall people predicting that it would happen just like you implied would happen in the future with the Asian population, it won't.

I was aware of the incredible sacrifice of the men of Lyon St,

Why won't you feel comfortable singing Flower of Scotland, a song that commemorates an important turning point in the 14th century battle for Scottish independence?

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 14th Feb 2013, 07:08pm
Post #124

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

Have you any links about the 46% of US voters being Hispanic? The figures i found were around 10%

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Feb 2013, 02:45pm
Post #125

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
After a long search, I can't find an appropriate topic to post this link ... so I'm shoving it in here. tongue.gif
The point I'm making will, or might, be made clear when you go past the article and look at the readers' comments after clicking on "Worst Rated".
Of course a lot of the comments might have been of the usual tongue in cheek variety - but who knows?

Independence for Scotland now! The NHS has enough problems on its plate without this bunch of lemmings clogging the queue with their clogged veins, it reminds me of the photos when Moscow got its first McDonalds... sad people!

- jon, southampton, 15/2/2013 12:25

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22...l#ixzz2KyqxJ8kH
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22...iston-Gait.html

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
serabash
post 15th Feb 2013, 02:56pm
Post #126

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
dae ye think they don't like us doon there laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 15th Feb 2013, 03:35pm
Post #127

Mega City Key Holder
Just looks like a pale imitation of Dunkin' Donuts, and the guy from Southampton needn't worry as "This bunch of lemmings with clogged veins" will not be putting anymore strain or adding to the problems of the English NHS as Scotland has its own independent NHS, while not perfect it's in far better health than it's English counterpart, and unlike theirs ours is not in danger of being privatised, unless of course the Tory led No Better Together campaigners win the referendum, in which case we have been promised at least a decade of austerity cuts.

I wonder why he didn't mention that the first person in the queue was English, or the fact that this company already has over 30 outlets in England?

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 21st Feb 2013, 05:25pm
Post #128

Mega City Key Holder
Another myth by the Tory led No Better Together campaign bites the dust.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-ne...o-eu.1361449365

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 23rd Feb 2013, 11:19am
Post #129

Mega City Key Holder
Yet more bad news for the Tory led No Better Together Campaign.

One of their biggest arguments against an independent Scotland was that the cost of borrowing would shoot up as Scotland would not have a AAA rating and the only way to preserve a Triple A rating was to reject independence and stay within the protection of the UK's economy.

Well it looks like George Osborne is keeping his promise of decades of austerity as the UK looses it's Triple A rating.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-...ilure-1-2806893

Vote YES next year.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 23rd Feb 2013, 11:01pm
Post #130

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 14th Feb 2013, 08:25pm) *
Have you any links about the 46% of US voters being Hispanic? The figures i found were around 10%

Hello john.mcn

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

I have to be honest and say that I remember this information being given on a television programme after Obama was re-elected. I may have picked it up wrong. It could have been a reference to the States most densely populated by Hispanics. I will see if I can obtain the most up to date figures available to the public. I will get back to you.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 24th Feb 2013, 11:27am
Post #131

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
I spoke to a couple of people recently and got interesting responses.

1. D is English, living in Scotland this past 10+ years, married to a Scot and with 2 children. We worked in the same company for a time and now meet up occasionally. Her immediate response to my question on independence was that she would be sent out the country. After a few minutes of deconstructing the anti-independence "overnight foreigners" argument (A. Darling), I said that all "new Scots" are welcome here. She said she wants her children to grow up here and wants this to be their country, voted for Blair's government but will never again vote Labour owing to Iraq. I believe D will now vote Yes.

2. A is a waiter and is from Nepal; has lived and worked in Scotland for 4 years. He had a great feeling of connection between the Gurkhas and the Scots. [As with many Asians, "Braveheart" was a favourite film.] A will be voting Yes as he believes London does not have the interests of Scotland.

My point is, we really need to speak to people and find out what their concerns are and try to answer them truthfully. We can't leave this to the political parties and their supporters.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 24th Feb 2013, 11:42am
Post #132

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Bang on the button, farichie

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 24th Feb 2013, 02:36pm
Post #133

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
Interesting, farrochie, that you use the phrase "New Scot 's are welcome here".
This is a phrase trotted out on a regular basis by the SNP who don't share the publics concerns about immigration.
If you mean 'New Scots' from the rest of the UK, most people would perhaps agree with that.
If you mean from overseas then I wonder perhaps if that is not the case.
I refer you to the 30th British Social Studies Attitudes Survey, published in 2012.
This survey is sponsored by a number of UK Government departments including the Dept. for Works & Pensions.

According to the latest report, 75% of the public want immigration reduced immediately. This is up from 63% in 1995.
The proportion who view the economic impact of immigrants negatively increased by 9% between 2002 and 2011, up from 43% to 52%.
Negative judgements about the Cultural Impact of migrants increased by 15% during the same period, from 33% to 48%.
48% think migration undermines Britain's Cultural Life.

The one paragraph that stands out is this one "IT IS CLEAR THAT THE PUBLIC PERCEPTION OF CONTEMPORARY MIGRATION FLOWS IS VERY DIFFERENT FROM THAT OF POLICY MAKERS."

Although this survey is a 'British' one, it would be foolish to suggest, I believe, that these views are not held this side of the border.
Other than by politicians and the politically correct, of course.

You state "My point is, we really need to speak to people and find out what their concerns are and try to answer them truthfully. We can't leave this to the political parties and their supporters."
The problem we face here is that the politicians and the political parties are only too well aware of the publics views on matters such as immigration.
As far as they are concerned, they know better than the public.
Thats not going to change in an Independent Scotland.
What we'll get is more of the same. Not less.
Politicians cant deliver home's for all Scots, jobs for all Scots, etc. etc.
They claim more 'New Scots' will bring skills to Scotland for her benefit.
I believe we should be educating our own young people if we have a skills shortage in Scotland.
That, however, is not a view shared by the Politically Correct, nor, I'm sorry to say, the SNP..

Alex

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 24th Feb 2013, 03:02pm
Post #134

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
... I believe we should be educating our own young people if we have a skills shortage in Scotland.

Germany, for obvious reasons, was more than happy (officially) to welcome the influx of skilled labour over the years since the war; especially in the '70s, but she soon after that came to learn that it was very important to create space for trainees from among it's own young people - even at the cost of subsidising their wages- if she was ever going to stand on her own feet again.
This has paid off in spades.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 24th Feb 2013, 03:59pm
Post #135

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Hi Alex

Nice to see someone posting from a 'Better Together' perspective.
You are more scarcer than hens teeth.

I 'surveyed' your British survey crew - who recently carried out a dodgy poll at the end of last year - then issued it in the late January when the t's and i's were crossed (on the same day, as a matter of fact)

Your source material I do not doubt - is accurate for the UK as a whole.
What SCOTLAND thinks isn't known. This fool completely refutes your claims and assumptions, compiled for the UK PLC (Westminster, London)

Politicians cant deliver home's for all Scots, jobs for all Scots, etc. etc.
They claim more 'New Scots' will bring skills to Scotland for her benefit.
I believe we should be educating our own young people if we have a skills shortage in Scotland.

How do YOU know? Its never been tried before!

You talk about more of the same - well there's nothing surer than that if you vote NO next year.

PS Look forward to your million dollar answer to '
How would the deep South improve Scotlands 'lot' if they vote NO?

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post

1454 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.