Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Independence Day?, How will (or would) you vote?
pumps100
post 13th Sep 2014, 04:16pm
Post #31

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
I am a Yes. Brought up with Labour instilled anti-nationalist position. Irvine Welch explains much better than I am capable of writing.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2014/09/08/la...labour-of-love/

Regards

Ian

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Sep 2014, 04:55pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Judging by how the poll is going, there must be a lot of GG YES supporters out on the streets of Glasgow today. unsure.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 13th Sep 2014, 05:16pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Anyone who knows me in my personal life, and anyone who knows me just through my posts here on the GG, will know that I'm not into celebrities, and particularly with the few who have come to Scotland to share with us how they think we should vote - I don't pay attention to them, and it wouldn't matter to me what they thought I should do, or for the most part what their opinions are.

I am, however, a big Brian Cox fan, he is a superb actor and spends a great deal of his time in Scotland, its a place he visits a lot, not only for work and documentaries.

He is a very intelligent man, apart from a great actor who seems to be able to do a great job of any part he undertakes.

I stumbled upon this video and watched it this afternoon. It only enforces for me what a deep thinker the man is.

Hope you enjoy.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 13th Sep 2014, 05:46pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (Guest @ 13th Sep 2014, 04:27pm) *
I certainly feel no need to read up on the circumstances leading up to the election of Margaret Thatcher in 1979 as I am well aware of them, having been a taxpayer and a voter in Scotland at the time.

The vote of no confidence in Callaghan's Labour Government was a cynical betrayal of the Scottish working class by the Nationalists in their ruthless and single-minded pursuit of their political ambition. No Nationalist attempt to rewrite history can change or even sanitise that plain fact.

Nothing to do with Labour going against the working class of Scotland by not enacting the Scotland act that the majority of electorate voted for then..No rewriting of the history books there, the facts are the SNP did what they did because of Labours betrayal to the people of Scotland... simple fact and not my opinion.

Of course as being around at that time you would also know that the labour government had been in power since 1974 and would have needed to call for a general election, so the vote of no confidence probably just sped up their removal by a few months.. ahh but you say, they could have turned around public opinion and saved their skins...err not after the winter of discontent, this caused labour to be in opposition and not the apparent brainwashing of the English public by the SNP to vote against labour.. Labour has NO ONE to blame for their 18 years in the wilderness but themselves.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
mustard
post 13th Sep 2014, 05:58pm
Post #35

Settling In
Member No.: 17,837
Scotland cannot and must not lose their nerve now and vote YES. We have already been warned by the deviants in Westminster what penalties they will impose on us for having our own thoughts and voice in the event of a NO vote. Think we got it bad now? YES is the only way forward. Sam

+Quote Post
*wilma McDonald*
post 13th Sep 2014, 06:06pm
Post #36

There is no doubt in my mind that Scotland CAN and should be an independent nation. This is our one opportunity. It will never happen again. Fear should never prevent you from making a decision. In this case there is little to fear.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 13th Sep 2014, 06:09pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I don't think anyone has yet answered my question about the currency issue - very very important.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Sep 2014, 06:15pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (mustard @ 13th Sep 2014, 08:15pm) *
Scotland cannot and must not lose their nerve now and vote YES. We have already been warned by the deviants in Westminster what penalties they will impose on us for having our own thoughts and voice in the event of a NO vote. Think we got it bad now? YES is the only way forward. Sam

Hi, Sam ! Whereabouts in Spain are you ?

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 13th Sep 2014, 06:17pm
Post #39

Nothing to do with Labour going against the working class of Scotland by not enacting the Scotland act that the majority of electorate voted for then..No rewriting of the history books there, the facts are the SNP did what they did because of Labours betrayal to the people of Scotland... simple fact and not my opinion.

The Scottish MPs representing the SNP at Westminster in 1979 were not compelled to vote with the Tories. Was it done in a fit of pique?

+Quote Post
hillfoot
post 13th Sep 2014, 06:26pm
Post #40

Unpacking
Member No.: 733
For over three hundred years we have been part of something which has suppressed and repressed our talents and cultural qualities..it is now time to let our light shine.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesss!

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Sep 2014, 06:37pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Hmm ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
petunia
post 13th Sep 2014, 06:43pm
Post #42

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,822
QUOTE (Guest @ 13th Sep 2014, 04:21pm) *
Being of Scottish origin, I will be extremely saddened if Salmond gets his wishes and Scotland vote for independencesting plans for the UK, and would require some kind of border control between Scotland and England, or they will simply all come in via the open back door! ...

There is that GUEST again, if you are going to give your opinion and advice to the people of Scotland the very least you could do it let them know who you are GUEST

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Sep 2014, 06:52pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Jeez, Petunia, I nearly had a fit there. I didn't realise that the bulk of your post was a quote ! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hillfoot
post 13th Sep 2014, 06:57pm
Post #44

Unpacking
Member No.: 733
No amount of rhetoric and passion will take us into the future to give us a glimpse of what life will really be like in an Independent Scotland. Having stated the bleeding obvious, this is a brilliant opportunity to shape our future and establish values that reflect our culture and aspirations based on our self belief.

A 'Yes' will start us on this fantastic journey and free us from the dead-weight that lies south of the border that we have been dragging behind us for the last 300 years!
:

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 13th Sep 2014, 09:26pm
Post #45

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
QUOTE (carmella @ 13th Sep 2014, 03:46pm) *
I have agreed with Red too, but over on the Scottish Independence thread.

As long as we are in the EU there is no independence, for me independence means being totally independent of another country's rules and regulations imposed upon us.

There's a very significant difference in relationship Scotland/UK and UK/EU.

UK Treasury takes ALL Scotland's revenues: corporation tax, VAT, income tax, NICS, fuel, alcohol, tobacco & vehicle duties. In return, Scotland gets a "grant" [Barnett Formula] to run education, NHS, justice, etc.

In the EU, member countries pay a subsciption.

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.