Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

34 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow To Lose Burrell Collection, Sir William Burrell's wishes to be discarded
twig64
post 15th Sep 2013, 06:03pm
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,554
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 15th Sep 2013, 05:11pm) *
C'mon guys Bridget McConnell is paid a 6 figure salary so she must know what she's talking about.... ahem...

Don`t worry though. She`ll be replaced by someone equally talented when she quits after the Games......ahem..........Susan Deighan. ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chas1937
post 15th Sep 2013, 08:06pm
Post #17

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,795
I stay next too Pollok Park and was at the opening of the Burrell when the Queen officially opened it.

If they could shut Kelvingrove Art Gallery and refurbished that then why need too shut for 5 years and move everything to who the hell knows where. Whole thing stinks of corruption and there will certainly be backhanders so folk can get items on loan albeit it's against Sir Williams will.

They are perfectly able to store everything in Glasgow and that's where it should stay. When you come too think of it the whole collection wasn't even supposed to have been placed anywhere near a certain amount of miles off Glasgow. If my memory is correct it was stored just of the Auchenhowie Rd near Milngavie

+Quote Post
Jazzsaxman
post 15th Sep 2013, 11:05pm
Post #18

Visitor
Member No.: 8,324
My Son showed me something funny the other week when he typed in directions to Mordor using Google Maps. The answer Google maps gave was that one simply does not walk in to Mordor. Despite that it placed a pin on the map showing that Mordor was somewhere in Glasgow. I'm guessing the council headquarters and if that be the case then we know who Sauron is and who the Orcs are. Especially when they come up with this sort of nonsense. It just shows what happened when uneducated dimwits are put in charge of things. This is as bad as the idea to move the statues from George Square.

+Quote Post
Albanach
post 15th Sep 2013, 11:18pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,054
It is downright dishonesty and betrayal of trust to accept a gift and with it the conditions made by the donor and then to renege on them when the donor is no longer with us. The people of Glasgow are the beneficiaries, not the politicians currently occupying the City Chambers and it seems that the people of Glasgow want their representative to respect William Burrell's wishes.

I wonder how future prospective donors will view the willingness of Glasgow's 'leaders' to disregard Wiilaim Burrell's conditions when making their bequests? We should be grateful that the Council's predecessors didn't have similar ideas when Kelvingrove Art Gallery was up for renovation!

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 15th Sep 2013, 11:28pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
I was also at the opening of the Burrell. It means a lot to tourism in the south of Glasgow. It also means a lot to a lot of locals. Don't farm it out. Don't let it be split up, sent overseas, pilfered, siphoned, ruined or lost. I personally love the Burrell. I love the situation of it.
Some pics from a couple of years ago...
http://dtpicture.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/bu...v-2011.html?m=1

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 15th Sep 2013, 11:43pm
Post #21

QUOTE (Harrymc @ 15th Sep 2013, 04:39pm) *
What part of Sir William Burrell's instructions do these idiots not understand?
If there is such great interest in the collection then the rest of the world should visit Glasgow where there surely must be a building capable of housing the collection while the "leaky roof "is fixed.
It must be some size of a roof to take 5 years to repair it.Who has surveyed it and come to that conclusion?
It would also be interesting to know why the roof was ever allowed to deteriorate to such condition that a major operation is now required to restore it.
Who was asleep on the job???

Please allow me to take you to task here for calling those responsible "IDIOTS". Idiots they are obviously not as they have succeeded where others have failed in robbing Glasgow of it's most prized cultural asset. There is no doubt also in my mind that there will be an element of private augmentation of funds finding their way into the pockets of these "Tribunes of the People". I well remember when the the tender was alloted to international competiotion to design appropriate housing for "Glasgowns own Collection", the council in its laboured wisdom decide to go ahead and have it's own miserable architectural failures design the building. The result was a "classical" pastiche of a pseudo Hellenic Pantheon wedding cake, ridiculed throughout the world as a bad joke in very poor taste. Who votes for these venal self serving mendicants anyway?

+Quote Post
*Mary*
post 16th Sep 2013, 03:14am
Post #22

If they break up the famous collection then who is to say that they will ever put it back together again. This is a quite disgraceful turn of events even for a city where the thoughts of people are treated like dirt. Why is there no outcry in the media or from other politicians?

+Quote Post
tarzan
post 16th Sep 2013, 07:20am
Post #23

Visitor
Member No.: 3,432
Is anyone surprised? Does anyone think that Bridget McConnell, Purcell etc. have any interest in Glasgow?

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 16th Sep 2013, 08:27am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I was wondering if Burrell has any descendants still living.It would be interesting if there were as Im sure their voice would lend a lot of weight when it comes to condemning these proposals.
I dont know anything of the original donation process but Im sure that Glasgow and its people were given the collection in perpetuity and that the Corporation as it was then were the guardians.Is there a fall back clause in the arrangement if it was said that in future years the corporation couldnt afford to house it they would rent it out.I dont think so.
I think Burrell will be Birrlinn at this stooshie.

+Quote Post
**LizN**
post 16th Sep 2013, 09:30am
Post #25

I totally agree with Frame's comments in his last paragraph - I hope the Scottish Government come down hard on these people who want to break (or sideline) a covenant made IN GOOD FAITH many years ago. Whenever anything which government and/or councils used to own/run is privatised, then we all pay the expensive price for this, it's happened all over the world; just look at our utilities, public transport etc.

These private owners are only in it to top up their fat bank accounts and self-interest, not for the good of Glasgow, or anyone else. The Burrell Collection should stay in Glasgow, and if anyone wants Glasgow to prosper, then people can/will visit and bring their money to Glasgow.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 16th Sep 2013, 09:33am
Post #26

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
On my last trip to my home town (2011), I was privileged to visit the Burrell Collection. It was an amazing experience and I could have done with another 2 or 3 visits. Just awesome!

Please, Glaswegians, don't let these priceless treasures out of the city. There is something very wrong with this proposal and I can only hope that common sense prevails and the building repairs are carried out systematically without any of the collection being removed. WHERE THERE'S A WILL, THERE'S A WAY.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 16th Sep 2013, 10:23am
Post #27

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
QUOTE (Talisman @ 15th Sep 2013, 11:41pm) *
Please allow me to take you to task here for calling those responsible "IDIOTS". Idiots they are obviously not as they have succeeded where others have failed in robbing Glasgow of it's most prized cultural asset. There is no doubt also in my mind that there will be an element of private augmentation of funds finding their way into the pockets of these "Tribunes of the People". I well remember when the the tender was alloted to international competiotion to design appropriate housing for "Glasgowns own Collection", the council in its laboured wisdom decide to go ahead and have it's own miserable architectural failures design the building. The result was a "classical" pastiche of a pseudo Hellenic Pantheon wedding cake, ridiculed throughout the world as a bad joke in very poor taste. Who votes for these venal self serving mendicants anyway?

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 16th Sep 2013, 10:28am
Post #28

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
Thank you for your enlightened reply to my post.I was obviously being unkind to real IDIOTS by coferring such status upon these self serving .......(insert your own term here).
I am more than happy to accept your comment.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 16th Sep 2013, 10:40am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 15th Sep 2013, 06:11pm) *
C'mon guys Bridget McConnell is paid a 6 figure salary so she must know what she's talking about.... ahem...

I had no idea this woman was so highly paid - well has she been sitting on the job or what, I wonder?

Large salaries don't equate to brains of course, or attention to detail!

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
Landales
post 16th Sep 2013, 11:36am
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,730
I understand Glasgow needs money but I don't condone breaking covenants/contracts. I understand that if we loan some abroad then others may think I hope to see the rest of the collection so come over here as a tourist and get fleeced doing so.

I also have a problem with the fact they said it would take 5 years for refurbishment... Why? Did they get a quote from land services or is it because they're letting apprentices practice on the building of it?

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.