Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> People Make Glasgow, New slogan for the city
*Guest*
post 28th Jun 2013, 01:38pm
Post #31

Well I don't really think 500K is a lot of money considering that the the city's Marketing Bureau is going to have to develop and promote this slogan in the UK and across the world. In fact - to be honest - it sounds like a pittance to what it is really going to have to spend to launch a new brand on the scale it is hoping to. Poorly though through.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tarheels
post 28th Jun 2013, 02:21pm
Post #32

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,421
Everybody in Glasgow has said it well an up front , just your city has what it takes to be famous , don't ruin a good thing , my opinion . Clarence Potter Sr , California U.S.

--------------------
lang may yer lum reek

+Quote Post
The Callands Reb...
post 28th Jun 2013, 02:37pm
Post #33

Visitor
Member No.: 9,211
Hello from the Yank.

A little take into how the city fathers of Glasgow are viewed as well as our own bunch of demi gods.

Our organization for decades have attempted to enhance the histories shared by our combine ancestry.

Your City council declined each and every attempt, including the free maintenance/perpetual care on WallaceWell Road at the Spring.

We tried to award posthumously our highest service medal for native Glaswegians who fought for the South during ourCivil War as these men had distinct contributions during, only to be ignored.

But they have no problem with expending millions of pounds on a new "slogan".

Why? Just like here in the States, elected officials have to keep oiling the wheels that got them into power, at your and my peoples expense.

Somebodies brother-in-law is going to line his coffers, some way with your tax dollars and the really sad part is that both our masses keep allowing the same types to be elected and with each election, that proverbial screwing gets worse and worse.

Personally, the old slogan was just fine, but as expressed before those politicians need "clean" money to oil those wheels!

And what better way but with your hard earned tax dollar.

Jerry

+Quote Post
Kassy
post 28th Jun 2013, 03:20pm
Post #34

Visitor
Member No.: 13,510
What the heck are they thinking. The old slogan was the best I hate this one.

What a waste of MONEY........... angry.gif

+Quote Post
*norrie A*
post 28th Jun 2013, 04:38pm
Post #35

"People make Glasgow" is very average." Glasgow's miles better" was classic!

We have a saying in Australia 'If it's not broken DON'T fix it'.

+Quote Post
**MYAGNES**
post 28th Jun 2013, 06:03pm
Post #36

AFTER THE GEORGE SQUARE FIASCO,STUFF LIKE THAT IS DEFINATELY NOT NEEDED

+Quote Post
**MYAGNES**
post 28th Jun 2013, 06:10pm
Post #37

QUOTE (The Callands Rebel @ 28th Jun 2013, 02:45pm) *
Hello from the Yank.

A little take into how the city fathers of Glasgow are viewed as well as our own bunch of demi gods.

Our organization for decades have attempted to enhance the histories shared by our combine ancestry.

Your City council declined each and every attempt, including the free maintenance/perpetual care on WallaceWell Road at the Spring.

We tried to award posthumously our highest service medal for native Glaswegians who fought for the South during ourCivil War as these men had distinct contributions during, only to be ignored.

But they have no problem with expending millions of pounds on a new "slogan".

Why? Just like here in the States, elected officials have to keep oiling the wheels that got them into power, at your and my peoples expense.

Somebodies brother-in-law is going to line his coffers, some way with your tax dollars and the really sad part is that both our masses keep allowing the same types to be elected and with each election, that proverbial screwing gets worse and worse.

Personally, the old slogan was just fine, but as expressed before those politicians need "clean" money to oil those wheels!

And what better way but with your hard earned tax dollar.

Jerry

You said it all Jerry!

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 28th Jun 2013, 08:13pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
People make Glasgow...yes' I realize that,the people make every city...now on to the new slogan...ah' what shall it be! can't wait!

+Quote Post
Mrs L
post 28th Jun 2013, 08:28pm
Post #39

Visitor
Member No.: 7,894
I always tell people 'Glasgow's miles better' with a smile of fond remembrance. I have a good life in Canada now.
Don't think I could get my tongue around 'People make Glasgow' as happily

+Quote Post
Harper
post 28th Jun 2013, 09:43pm
Post #40

Settling In
Member No.: 25,694
When i come down to glasgow to visit friends, i feel the city is very much alive, the people in my view make glasgow tick, the city is full of industrial history, i think thats where glasgow people get their great sense of humour, Yes i agree, it is hard to beat glasgow is miles better, i think the slogan good, i remember in the 70s among many people glasgow was known as no mean city. I have lived in dundee for since 1976, when i come down to glasgow to visit friends, i feel im home again, its like stepping into another planet, and its people that give out that great energy. and dont laugh, but i do watch river city.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 29th Jun 2013, 05:11am
Post #41

Jeez - 500 grand obviously doesn't go as far as it used to...

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 29th Jun 2013, 09:38am
Post #42

As stated above, very average. It sounds unfinished.......needs something at the end of it, e.g. People make Glasgow ........

It is a forgettable slogan and could be applied to any city. Maybe it could be turned around, Glasgow makes people (smile, come back, happy).

+Quote Post
*John Bogie*
post 29th Jun 2013, 04:53pm
Post #43

I think this is such a clever slogan as you can repeatedly change/add last word, i.e. People make Glasgow.... Exciting, Friendly, Multi Cultural, Interesting, Better, Happy.

Although I liked Glasgow's miles better, I think this beats it, so I voted yes.

+Quote Post
GG
post 30th Jun 2013, 02:22pm
Post #44

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Kevin McKenna at the Guardian is less than impressed, especially with the huge sums of money being spent on the city's Marketing Bureau in what he believes is an expensive effort to hoodwink people.

A slogan for Glasgow? I have a few choice words

The meaningless lexicon of marketing has been scraped clean in civic Scotland's latest attempt to justify another spurious branding exercise. All the usual dismal phrases are there: "key sectors"; a "driver" and even a couple of "growth sectors". The design uses a "strong geometric typeface". Of course it does. They are the words that signal we poor idiot punters are about to be shafted yet again by the residents of Tammany Hall. It was revealed last week that Glasgow city council has committed 500,000 to rolling out another utterly vapid and empty slogan. Ever since the city unveiled its Glasgow's Miles Better slogan in the 1980s, it has never stopped congratulating itself and now thinks it's a global leader at this sort of thing. And so, the city woke on Friday to the news that half a million of their money has been spent on this: "People Make Glasgow." ...

Full comment article here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...logan-marketing

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 30th Jun 2013, 02:41pm
Post #45

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Another columnist who is decidedly unimpressed is Tom Shields, who surmises that such a "minging" slogan is likely to have been a top-down idea, regardless of the council leader's shrill claims that the slogan is a result of a productive consultative process with the people themselves.

Tom Shields on: Glasgow boasts better

Another search for a city slogan has proved futile.

The rebranding exercise has come up with: "People Make Glasgow". Which is true. Without the inhabitants, Glasgow would be just a collection of empty buildings. This goes without saying. But the city marketing bureau will spend half a million quid next year saying it. ...

Full story here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/tom-...better.21480636

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.