Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Council Evict Occupy Glasgow?, Legal stand-off in George Square
GG
post 1st Nov 2011, 11:09pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow City Council's legal bid to evict a group of "anti-greed" protesters from their camp in a corner of George Square has suffered a setback after a Sheriff granted a 48-hour delay as a "compromise" between the council and protesters.

The "Occupy Glasgow" group, part of a worldwide protest action aimed primarily at what they see as the unchecked greed of bankers, pitched their tents opposite the City Chambers on 15th October.

The court action to evict the group, who are inspired by the Occupy Wall Street campaign, was due to get underway today, but has now been put off until Thursday after the group asked for more time to prepare their defence against expulsion from Glasgow's main civic square.

The council says that it needs to remove the group in order to prepare the square for Remembrance Day and Christmas activities, citing the fact that they have offered the group alternative locations to site their camp. In response, Occupy Glasgow claims that they would in no way interfere with the commemoration of Armistice Day, saying that the soldiers who died in foreign wars did so in order that groups like themselves should have the right to freedom of expression and demonstration.

Attached Image

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tarheels
post 2nd Nov 2011, 12:01am
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,421
We VETERANS fight for our country and civil rights, and a lot of good men and women gave there life for this freedom. As far as bankers and wall street go's look into the bildabirgers (bankers) that have taken over the banks world wide (wall street) these people want to take over the world (money madness) if you don't believe it check it out. i have!

clarence potter sr
a combat veteran +++++++ rielly

--------------------
lang may yer lum reek

+Quote Post
Elma
post 2nd Nov 2011, 12:04am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
It is time these so called protesters all over the world packed up their tents and went home.

+Quote Post
benny
post 2nd Nov 2011, 12:22am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
I don't know how it is in Canada, but in Britain we still have the right to peaceful protest, and long may it continue.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
**Shirley**
post 2nd Nov 2011, 02:11am
Post #5

I'm for the protestors as they are acting for us. It's about time someone stood up to the bankers and if the Labour councillors wish to evict protestors against bankers then maybe what they said about Labour toadying up to big business has been true all along.

Time surely to take a stand for something other than greed?

+Quote Post
tibbiesmom
post 2nd Nov 2011, 04:12am
Post #6

Settling In
Member No.: 6,329
It is the same here in the US. Ample time has been allowed for the protests, now it's time to go home. Things are beginning to get a bit nasty here.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 2nd Nov 2011, 06:41am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
How long can they stay there before claiming sqatters rights? wink.gif

+Quote Post
*glasgow lassie*
post 2nd Nov 2011, 07:21am
Post #8

I voted NO. Its a sad day for Glasgow when a peaceful protest cannot be allowed to be made because of Rememberance Sunday. Is that not what our young men fought for and are still fighting for? Very sad indeed!

+Quote Post
*Weegie*
post 2nd Nov 2011, 07:35am
Post #9

I think the council should leave the protesters to continue to protest if they like as long as it is peaceful and respectful of Armistice Day events. The only thing I would say is that the whole universe exists because of one entity capitalising on another, and I'd much rather live in a country where some people get rich through taking advantage of the opportunities that come their way, than one where people get rich by consciously oppressing the competition. Some would argue that that is what's happening right now. I think they are drama queens. I am far from rich, but I still have freedom and choice. Given the chance to take home an income of 1 million a year would I take it? Too damn right I would, and were it to be offered to some of those protesters, I don't think it'd be too long before the group disbanded...

+Quote Post
eidas
post 2nd Nov 2011, 07:58am
Post #10

Settling In
Member No.: 8,904
Armistice Day and the Christmas period may give non-protesters the chance to speak with the protesters and listen to their point of view, to which all of us are entitled, too often no one bothers to listen. Leave them where they are, they're not hurting anyone.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 2nd Nov 2011, 08:25am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Armistice Day and Christmas are all about the remembrance of the poor souls lost in rich man's wars and I don't imagine Jesus would have removed the protesters. Heaven help them, who would want to camp in George Square in this weather? Occupy Glasgow and the protesters around the world seem to be the only ones attempting to draw attention to the injustice and greed that we are all suffering under these days. We don't deserve the goodness of some of these young people the way we have all let all this greed get so out of control.

+Quote Post
**duinemor**
post 2nd Nov 2011, 09:04am
Post #12

There was once a time when Labour would BE the protesters about capitalist greed. How times have changed for a party that has lost its core values. The protesters should stay. A bit of imagination surely for Remembrance Day - have it in Cathedral Square or Glasgow Green this year for a wee change. It's not rocket sceince.

+Quote Post
chas1937
post 2nd Nov 2011, 09:07am
Post #13

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,795
I wonder where they get the money from in first place or are they all millionaires with nothing else to do.More likely they are all on benefits of some kind which of course means it they are doing that they could be out working that rest of folk have to do

+Quote Post
Ayeyuya
post 2nd Nov 2011, 09:09am
Post #14

Settling In
Member No.: 8,829
They are more interested in getting on their Money making events, planned for the Square, than any concern for the exServiceman

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 2nd Nov 2011, 09:16am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
The protesters have made their point and it is time for them to go but I get the impression that this will go the whole road so when the legal process is complete they will be moved with reasonable force ie mounted police,water canon,taser guns and the army on standby should they be required. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.