Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Braehead In Anti-terror Photo Row, Police cite terror laws over family photo
jack j
post 11th Oct 2011, 09:25am
Post #31

Visitor
Member No.: 8,971
i bet they would have said nothing if it had been a muslim or coloured family involved
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jack j
post 11th Oct 2011, 09:56am
Post #32

Visitor
Member No.: 8,971
it seems it's too much like hard work to chase real criminals these days

+Quote Post
tombro
post 11th Oct 2011, 10:03am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
I saw this on the Daily Record site last night and now, tonight, I'm still looking at my calendar and wondering why it doesn't say 'April 1, 2011' !

Isn't it so sad that, despite protestations for political and PC reasons from a few above, a Dad can't take a photograph of his wee daughter enjoying an ice-cream ?"

Tombro huh.gif huh.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
*frank Hopson*
post 11th Oct 2011, 10:08am
Post #34

I am a Scot living in Poole and believe me the cops are just as stupid down here, as are some of the English judges. The cops want an easy job. Heaven forbid if they were to face 'real hard men,' My son had a similar experience in Southampton whilst photographing a young female model. I think the two cops involved just wanted a close up of the young lady.

+Quote Post
**greta**
post 11th Oct 2011, 10:09am
Post #35

What is the world coming to if a dad cant take a photo of his wee girl, crazy. After all it wasent a military establishment for goodness sake. Talk about big brother.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 11th Oct 2011, 10:17am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (littlealison @ 11th Oct 2011, 07:13am) *
My daughter yesterday was hauled in by security in Wilkinson's in Oxford

It should be remembered that these 'security guards' don't have any special powers of arrest or detention. They are just ordinary people, and have no additional legal powers over anyone. Any powers of arrest they have are no more than the so-called citizen's arrest power that any other citizen has. They have no power to arrest or hold 'on suspicion', only a police officer has that.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
*PAUL DAVIDSON*
post 11th Oct 2011, 11:10am
Post #37

QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Oct 2011, 09:27pm) *
I bet security would have turned a blind eye if it had been a group of neds taking photo's.

WELL SAID SIR/MADAM FOR ABOVE COMMENT.

+Quote Post
Wee-Sprokit
post 11th Oct 2011, 01:04pm
Post #38

Settling In
Member No.: 6,487
I have read this story in the newspaper and thought it was Rediculous that this guy was stopped from taking his daughters photo enjoying an Ice cream, Its what parents do! In fact i was Stopped from Taking a picture of my then 7mth old Grandson at the swimming baths, He was sitting in a little round 6ft baby pond and was the only one in it, Since it was his 1st time at the Baths i wanted to take a Picture, being a Proud Granny!!! but security came over and told me to Stop!! he even took my camera away and said i would get it on the way out, (which it did get) I asked him WHY?? couldnt i take a Picture?? he said because of the Paedofiles going about, taken photo's of kids ect!!! He said im NOT saying your a Paedo, but if we let 1 person do it, we have to let them all,,,,, I said does that apply to the beach??? as you never know who's taking pics of your kid ect! just got told thats nothing to do with me!!
But this story of the guy taken a photo of his daughter, who i made add was fully clothed, and no-one else was in the picture!! I think they are taking things too far, Especialy when there is camera's all over the shopping centre talking photo's and film of us, plus we cant say or do anything about it, What a sad world we're living in now!!! sad.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 11th Oct 2011, 01:45pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Just in from Braehead,much finger pointing and laughing at ice cream stand but very few purchasing,mind you the price of the stuff is exhorbitant.
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 11th Oct 2011, 01:47pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (Wee-Sprokit @ 11th Oct 2011, 02:50pm) *
he even took my camera away and said i would get it on the way out, ( which it did get) I asked him WHY??

You should be aware that he had no lawful authority or power to confiscate your camera, and no right whatsoever to take it from you. Unless there is reason to suspect your involvement in a criminal offence, even a police officer cannot do this. Next time something like this happens, refuse.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
peter9000
post 11th Oct 2011, 02:33pm
Post #41

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,215
The suggestion that this incident falls within a terrorist alert is simply the authoriies trying to justify their dreadful behaviour. The family involved were a 'soft' target and , as has already been said, would the same challenge have been made to a group of louts taking photos?

I think that Braehead centre will be aware that thousands of photographs are taken in the centre by patrons using cameras, phones, laptops and other media equipment. The police statement made following the incident was appalling - we need common sense as well as 'Common Law' to prevail.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 11th Oct 2011, 02:35pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Alex,Im glad you are taking the time to point out what can and cannot be done by these people.
I often wonder exactly what kind of selection process and training is involved.It seems to me that some firms hand out a uniform and radio and let them loose on a public who are only too happy to accept whatever they are told.

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 11th Oct 2011, 02:42pm
Post #43

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
There is a Police Office within Braehead Shopping Centre with a number of officers based there. The Police response times would have been impressive compared to anywhere else.

As for the Terrorism Act reference? It is an Act which is widely used for stop and search purposes in England and Wales and by British Transport Police. It is not as widely used in Scotland.

From what I read, the man was not DETAINED under ANY Act. He waited with security until the Police arrived. The officers made reference to the Terrorism Act and their powers in relation to them but stated they had no intention of invoking the powers - probably as they were not within their rights to use the Act on this occasion.

I find it difficult to fathom why the officer would make such a basic mistake as to refer to alleged powers to delete the image. Most officers are FULLY conversant with the powers of search in relation to this Act, especially as it has become more and more relevent. The officer would have the power to view the image under the Terrorism Act - not delete it. I suspect that the officer did not actually state he could delete it from the camera. I have heard Supt Nedley make reference to the incident but not to any misuse of Police Powers.

As much as I agree that the security officer was a jobsworth and the matter could have been dealt with differently, If I had been the person involved I would not have contacted the media under any circumstances and thereafter turn my day out with my child into a media frenzy.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
frame
post 11th Oct 2011, 02:58pm
Post #44

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
Give some people just a little power and they turn into dictators. The stupidity of these people who assume an authority they don't have is completely overwhelming at times.
As for constable plod and his mate who attended this farce... To be honest, I imagine most coppers are gifted with a lot more sense than these two.
I wonder what Taggart would have made of it all.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 11th Oct 2011, 03:04pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
JimD,
I agree with what you say here however having listened to the man on tv I think he took the standpoint he did to basically highlight the absurdity of a situation which culminated in the involvement of two police officers absolutely needlessly.I thought this over and on the info I read I tried to work out the course of action I would have taken and I think it would have been along these lines;
Having been summoned by security and appraised of the situation and verified no crime or offence had been committed I would have told the security guard it was not a police matter but that I would accompany the man to the exit if he was barred in order to prevent a Breach of the Peace.Result:Advice given,assistance rendered,no further action.
In other words what happened here was a mountain out of a molehill and neither the security or the police came out of it too well.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.