Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

20 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Billy Connolly Enter Politics?, Big Yin wanted to front Unionist agenda
mlconnelly
post 6th Mar 2014, 09:55am
Post #226

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 6th Mar 2014, 11:08am
Post #227

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
QUOTE (Ruchazie Rat @ 5th Mar 2014, 08:32pm) *
Perhaps the possibility you mention could be offset by knowing that it would go towards helping the needy and the desperate, (those currently living on the streets and crowding out foodbanks), thus creating a more compassionate and socially just Scotland.

Would that, therefore, be a bad thing?

Or would you prefer the tax rises/new taxes created by the coalition continue to be given to bankers and city traders as TAX CUTS to squander on magnums of Bolinger and silver trays of caviar?

If the Connolly`s of this world prefer that, swap their Scottish castles for castles down south.

"Living up a close" my arse!

Don't know about you but I have paid my fair share of taxes since I started work many moons ago and continue to do so now.
I have no desire to pay more to cover Salmond's grand plan (be it to line the pockets of castle-dwellers or those on benefits).
I am sure he personally can more than afford to pay an extra few bob though. smile.gif

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 6th Mar 2014, 12:31pm
Post #228

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
I'm in the same boat mathi, but i dont want our taxes to go towards WMD, invading sovereign nations or keeping politicians flush with with nice expense accounts.
I know the latter also applies to Holyrood, but if we need cars for work and we cant claim the expense back on taxes (friggin £10vat every time i fuel up), then i dont see why they should claim expenses going to and fro from their fixed place of work, parliament or constituency offices.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
*Guvin Wullie*
post 7th Mar 2014, 03:04am
Post #229

QUOTE (john.mcn @ 6th Mar 2014, 12:48pm) *
I'm in the same boat mathi, but i dont want our taxes to go towards WMD, invading sovereign nations or keeping politicians flush with with nice expense accounts.
I know the latter also applies to Holyrood, but if we need cars for work and we cant claim the expense back on taxes (friggin £10vat every time i fuel up), then i dont see why they should claim expenses going to and fro from their fixed place of work, parliament or constituency offices.

Surely you don't expect the chosen of this earth to pay their way as is the case of the "Lumpen Proleteriate". You are speaking here of those who have been by devine providence elevated to the status of deities in their own reckoning. You are speaking of ( here genuflect ) of selfless Westminster Politicians.

+Quote Post
Ruchazie Rat
post 7th Mar 2014, 04:25pm
Post #230

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,702
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 6th Mar 2014, 11:25am) *
Don't know about you but I have paid my fair share of taxes since I started work many moons ago and continue to do so now.
I have no desire to pay more to cover Salmond's grand plan (be it to line the pockets of castle-dwellers or those on benefits).
I am sure he personally can more than afford to pay an extra few bob though. smile.gif

And if the likes of Connolly started paying their fair whack in accordance to what they can afford, the rest of us wouldn`t necessarily have to compensate for it by making up what could be termed "The Connolly Deficit". (P.S. I`m copyrighting that term).

Are you planning to get around to discussing my mention of Connolly`s production company being registered with Jersey/Isle Of Man since 1990 so as to pay little/no taxes? (Just like he does with his castle`s Council Tax, thanks to Thatcher/Blair/Cameron).

By the way, I don`t see how "favouring" entrepreneurs like him with these freebies generates wealth in return. What real tangible economic benefits does an on-off stand-up comedian bring aside from obvious ticket sales? Where`s the service/support industries catering for that. Well, maybe there`s the odd Cayman Islands Tax Consultant....

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 7th Mar 2014, 10:05pm
Post #231

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Ruchazie Rat @ 7th Mar 2014, 04:42pm) *
And if the likes of Connolly started paying their fair whack in accordance to what they can afford, the rest of us wouldn`t necessarily have to compensate for it by making up what could be termed "The Connolly Deficit". (P.S. I`m copyrighting that term).

Are you planning to get around to discussing my mention of Connolly`s production company being registered with Jersey/Isle Of Man since 1990 so as to pay little/no taxes? (Just like he does with his castle`s Council Tax, thanks to Thatcher/Blair/Cameron).

By the way, I don`t see how "favouring" entrepreneurs like him with these freebies generates wealth in return. What real tangible economic benefits does an on-off stand-up comedian bring aside from obvious ticket sales? Where`s the service/support industries catering for that. Well, maybe there`s the odd Cayman Islands Tax Consultant....

'Fraid not mate. In truth I couldn't give a tuppeny damn for Connolly's production company any more than I care one iota for Shur Sean Connery wittering on about independence for the country he loves so much he refuses to live here.
Some more truth : I never read where you said that. Your posts tend to go on forever and I only have so much spare time of a day. biggrin.gif
Just liked the Big Yin's comment as it summed up the situation re nats thinking they owned the country pretty perfectly. thumbup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post 8th Mar 2014, 01:03am
Post #232

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 7th Mar 2014, 11:22pm) *
'Fraid not mate. In truth I couldn't give a tuppeny damn for Connolly's production company any more than I care one iota for Shur Sean Connery wittering on about independence for the country he loves so much he refuses to live here.

rolleyes.gif therrs merr money in US that's why thumbup.gif

and its shur shawn if yie don't mind

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 8th Mar 2014, 08:31am
Post #233

Mega City Key Holder
Och wombat, it appears last week's fleeting grasp of the 'quote' facility has deserted you once again mate.
Never mind, there's always your 'funny' pictures! thumbup.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 8th Mar 2014, 10:14am
Post #234

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Never mind wombat, he's just a big bully laugh.gif

And Shur Shawn like many others who have left has said he will move back after independence so their tax money benefits Scotland and not Westminster.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 8th Mar 2014, 10:21am
Post #235

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Aye Wombat, jist ignore thae sarky cyberbritpratz ! thumbup.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 8th Mar 2014, 11:07pm
Post #236

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 8th Mar 2014, 10:31am) *
Never mind wombat, he's just a big bully laugh.gif

And Shur Shawn like many others who have left has said he will move back after independence so their tax money benefits Scotland and not Westminster.

Oh now that will be very interesting, we will have a massive influx of stars returning to Scotland so as to 'help' our finances - right!!

Jagz, I don't doubt your sincerity in the slightest, but I don't think the return of the masses is on the cards - whatever the outcome of the voting this year.

Funny how Shir Shawn and the others have a lot of houses, apartments, yet none here in Scotland, at least if they did, they would have been able to give employment to people to look after their homes in Scotland while they were not being used. I think we can all see where this is going.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 9th Mar 2014, 05:39am
Post #237

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Right on again, Carmella.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 9th Mar 2014, 09:07am
Post #238

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (carmella @ 8th Mar 2014, 11:24pm) *
Jagz, I don't doubt your sincerity in the slightest, but I don't think the return of the masses is on the cards - whatever the outcome of the voting this year.

Well there certainly won't if there is a NO vote, the opposite will be the case, if i was young enough i would be off myself.

As for a return after a YES vote, only time will tell.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 9th Mar 2014, 10:55pm
Post #239

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I wish I had your optimism!!

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 10th Mar 2014, 03:22pm
Post #240

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 8th Mar 2014, 11:24pm) *
Oh now that will be very interesting, we will have a massive influx of stars returning to Scotland so as to 'help' our finances - right!!

It's all very well the "big stars" being wooed back (personally, I'll believe it when I see it) if Salmond was to pave the way with tax breaks for them but I'm pretty sure the rest of us will not be so lucky.

--------------------

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.