Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1361 Pages V  « < 1359 1360 1361  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
Dykejumper
post 19th Aug 2017, 06:00pm
Post #20401

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Salmon and Whisky are down at Number 10 in the list of the UK's exports, you cant expect to get
the full story from a gnat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 19th Aug 2017, 06:37pm
Post #20402

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 19th Aug 2017, 08:00pm) *
Salmon and Whisky are down at Number 10 in the list of the UK's exports, you cant expect to get

That's the full story from you then, is it? Salmon & whisky are listed together at #10, are they? Did you make this up? Maybe you meant Downing Street?

BTW, I was not aware that the news item derived from the SNP.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 19th Aug 2017, 10:25pm
Post #20403

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 19th Aug 2017, 07:00pm) *

Did you even read the link DJ?

The story from the BBC (you must be referring to Britgnat ) was talking about exported food and drink

UK's top 10 food and drink exports
1.Whisky
2.Salmon
3.Beer
4.Chocolate
5.Cheese
6.Wine
7.Gin
8.Beef
9.Pork
10.Soft drinks

Source HM Customs and Excise

What list are you talking about that puts salmon and whisky at joint #10?

Will i get a reply from DJ? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 19th Aug 2017, 10:58pm
Post #20404

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 19th Aug 2017, 04:14pm) *
Nice to see our "British Salmon" and no doubt British Whisky are the top two earners to keep the cash flowing into Westminsters coffers, this must be what all the "pooling and sharing" is all about.

No doubt we'll get our above average share of the rUK's debt to even things up. yes.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40963631

Are you aware that there are no export taxes?

Taxes are gained from profits from sales, selling more produce does not necessarily mean more profits and taxes, ask an accountant.

Salmon farms are not a great thing imho, not a fan of the fish myself but those farms have been hit by louse problems and are affecting wild salmon numbers and will in turn harm the tourism industry. Plenty of stories about it over the last few months

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 20th Aug 2017, 12:08am
Post #20405

City Key Holder
Jagz, I was putting your export figures in UK perspective. Man [even if he is Scottish] cannot
live on Salmon and Whisky alone.

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 20th Aug 2017, 09:54am
Post #20406

City Key Holder
Wee Eck at the festival.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment...harebar_twitter

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Aug 2017, 12:27pm
Post #20407

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 20th Aug 2017, 01:08am) *
Jagz, I was putting your export figures in UK perspective. Man [even if he is Scottish] cannot
live on Salmon and Whisky alone.

That was a UK perspective (again, did you actually read the report DJ?) and where is the UK table that whisky and salmon are joint #10th.

Who said anything about living on salmon or whisky alone?

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Aug 2017, 01:03pm
Post #20408

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 19th Aug 2017, 11:58pm) *
Are you aware that there are no export taxes?

Taxes are gained from profits from sales, selling more produce does not necessarily mean more profits and taxes, ask an accountant.

Salmon farms are not a great thing imho, not a fan of the fish myself but those farms have been hit by louse problems and are affecting wild salmon numbers and will in turn harm the tourism industry. Plenty of stories about it over the last few months

Are you aware that i never mentioned any export taxes?

I don't need to ask an accountant anything John.

You're surely not going to deny that the Scotch whisky industry is a massive earner John, from the Scotch whisky association themselves in 2015 "exports generated £3.95 billion for the UK balance of trade".

http://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/what-we-do/facts-figures/

Like you John i'm not a fan of salmon myself, however with the amount of salmon farms that are around the Isle of Skye the tourists are certainly not sharing your concerns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40874488

I'm sure DJ will be along soon to rubbish the BBC report as probably being compiled by Gnats. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 20th Aug 2017, 01:29pm
Post #20409

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 20th Aug 2017, 01:03pm) *
Are you aware that i never mentioned any export taxes?

I don't need to ask an accountant anything John.

So what taxes are due then when you talk below of the cash flowing into Westminsters coffers.
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 19th Aug 2017, 04:14pm) *
keep the cash flowing into Westminsters coffers, this must be what all the "pooling and sharing" is all about.

You're surely not going to deny that the Scotch whisky industry is a massive earner John, from the Scotch whisky association themselves in 2015 "exports generated £3.95 billion for the UK balance of trade".

It's a massive earner for the companies who own the business, alcohol is a massive tax generator of taxes for sales in the UK, not for those exported. It is good for jobs and the balance of trade as you say
Like you John i'm not a fan of salmon myself, however with the amount of salmon farms that are around the Isle of Skye the tourists are certainly not sharing your concerns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40874488

Read what i wrote jagz, the infestation of lice in salmon farms are affecting wild salmon, the areas where there is line and pole fishing relies on Salmon to attract tourists, if the wild Salmon numbers drop then so will tourism to those areas. Posting a link that does not mention this does not really disprove anything i said. There were plenty of reports earlier this year with some even claiming its facing a crisis.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 20th Aug 2017, 06:45pm
Post #20410

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
https://www.scottobeindy.com/single-post/20...or-Independence

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 20th Aug 2017, 07:38pm
Post #20411

City Key Holder
You have to admire the BBC, the staggering success/problems of Skye are down to Brexit lol

p.s. Gnats hate the BBC so why is Jagz reading their website.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post Y'day, 11:37am
Post #20412

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 20th Aug 2017, 08:38pm) *
p.s. Gnats hate the BBC so why is Jagz reading their website.

I'm no more a Gnat than you DJ.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post Y'day, 11:49am
Post #20413

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 20th Aug 2017, 02:29pm) *
So what taxes are due then when you talk below of the cash flowing into Westminsters coffers.

The tax from the huge Scottish food and drink industry (including whisky and salmon) i wasn't talking about exported goods, the link i posted was to highlight that our Scottish salmon is now being branded "British salmon".

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post Y'day, 05:45pm
Post #20414

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 21st Aug 2017, 11:49am) *
The tax from the huge Scottish food and drink industry (including whisky and salmon) i wasn't talking about exported goods, the link i posted was to highlight that our Scottish salmon is now being branded "British salmon".

So hold on , that link you posted with the headline Salmon sales surge as UK food exports hit record high was not about exports at all but was in fact about Salmon being named British. So why did you post that link and then say that they kept the cash flowing into Westminsters coffers. As you now admit that there is no export tax and that tax is payable on profits, not sales, why do you still insist that the Tax using those figures would be huge. There is no alcohol tax or vat gained on whisky exported, in an Independent Scotland the only tax payable to the Scottish exchequer would be on sales in Scotland , all those sales across the UK would still benefit Westminster and as we are part of the UK then taxes raised there do get pooled and shared with us.

The link also gave the top ten food and drink exports which I'm sure are also referred to as British
Below is the top ten exports which will also be referred to as British
Machinery including computers: US$60.3 billion (14.7% of total exports)
Vehicles : $51.7 billion (12.6%)
Pharmaceuticals: $32.6 billion (8%)
Gems, precious metals: $27.5 billion (6.7%)
Electrical machinery, equipment: $27.1 billion (6.6%)
Mineral fuels including oil: $26.2 billion (6.4%)
Aircraft, spacecraft: $20.7 billion (5.1%)
Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $17.2 billion (4.2%)
Plastics, plastic articles: $11.2 billion (2.7%)
Organic chemicals: $10.8 billion (2.6%)

Do you also have a problem with that or is it just products from here that you think should not be labeled British

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post Today, 10:37am
Post #20415

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 21st Aug 2017, 06:45pm) *
So hold on , that link you posted with the headline Salmon sales surge as UK food exports hit record high was not about exports at all but was in fact about Salmon being named British.

Do you also have a problem with that or is it just products from here that you think should not be labeled British

Finally, took you long enough, and the UK treasury benefits handsomely from the Scottish food and drinks industry.

The list you produced don't have the prefix "British" worldwide, Scotch whisky and salmon do, trust you to encourage the dilution of anything Scottish.

+Quote Post

1361 Pages V  « < 1359 1360 1361
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.