Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

18 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No One To Vote For, Election
john.mcn
post 7th Jun 2017, 08:18pm
Post #76

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

For probably the umpteenth time Jagz I think that the SNP will win the majority of the seats, what these 'accidental MP's' do with that power I dont know, whistle, hum, sing, clap, tweet lies or abuse, who knows. Will they fight for their constituents or just oppose everything in Westminster just so they can greet that other parties vote against 'Scotland'. What the SNP have done is pissed everyone off on the way up and no one wants to work with them, they're not in opposition to the government, they're in opposition to everyone and its failing the people they claim to represent.
I received yet another SNP leaflet with not much on it, they thought they had 5 years to get stuff done (or more likely the last year) but get stuck with little done to shout about after 2. wee Nics fault, goading Theresa may about not being elected (which of course she is) and May then calling an election might well cost the SNP several of it's MP's and give the Tories another 5 years in power. Think about it Jagz, if the Tories get a majority because it gains Scottish seats then not only can May then say She speaks for all of GB but Sturgeon will have given her the right to do so.

Anyone can check how much, or little their MP has done in the two years they've been elected
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/
Was quite shocked to see what they voted against military action against ISIS and strangely enough against increasing tax on alcohol, seeing as minimum pricing is an SNP policy its a strange one.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 8th Jun 2017, 12:45am
Post #77

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 7th Jun 2017, 09:18pm) *
For probably the umpteenth time Jagz I think that the SNP will win the majority of the seats

I know John, there, there, there, democracy sucks, maybe the Tories will win in the UK and can turn the county into a little North Korean dictatorship and you can get your haircut like your Dear leader Theresa's and wave your little union flag bless. yes.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 8th Jun 2017, 07:45am
Post #78

Mega City Key Holder

I dont partake in the waving of flags, they should be left on poles or used just for sporting events.
If you want to compare despotic regimes tactics you might want to see who puts their faces on vehicles, posters, manifestos and has an almost cultists following who believe in anything their dear leader says.. No doubt some will want to erect statues and tear down 'Unionist ones' if Scotland becomes Independent.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 8th Jun 2017, 10:32am
Post #79

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
John. you forgot helicopter.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 8th Jun 2017, 12:12pm
Post #80

Mega City Key Holder
rolleyes.gif I hope you Chuckle Brothers have been out casting your vote today.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 8th Jun 2017, 07:56pm
Post #81

Mega City Key Holder
Funny as I think of you and yer mate as these grumpy old men laugh.gif
Attached Image

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 9th Jun 2017, 01:39am
Post #82

City Key Holder
Mrs Shreek and pompous Gus out on their ears , that's definitely worth a chuckle.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 9th Jun 2017, 07:20am
Post #83

Mega City Key Holder
Its still a win isn't that what some will say, they've dropped from 50% to 37% share of the vote, lost 1/2 a million voters, lost 21 seats and gave the Tories its biggest result in Scotland in 30 years. No doubt some will shout about 'Red Tories' switching to Blue but the numbers dont add up, the Tories have gained roughly what the SNP have lost while Labour has increased its share, the only place the Tories could get votes is from the SNP.
There is now not much between the SNP, Labour and the Tories, Scotland is a 3 party state and the only thing that saved the SNP some seats is the FPTP system they hate so much.

I dont think political analysts will spend too much time wondering how it all went wrong for wee Nic. She took the public for granted, stuck 2 fingers up to YES voters who wanted out of the EU as well as doing the same to Remainers who wanted to stay in the UK. Its the old tale of surrounding yourself with YES men and women (pun intended) and thinking of yourself as bullet proof, trying to keep the fanatical new members on board was always a gamble, I wonder how many of them will now stick around seeing as Big Brother is back on the telly.

As predicted the SNP lost this seat, in one of the highest NO areas and previously one of the safest Tory seats in Scotland you need to do a lot more than sit on your hands and oppose everything the Government does. The SNP winning it 2 years ago was a shock for everyone including the SNP, I doubt it will happen again.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
enrique
post 9th Jun 2017, 10:45am
Post #84

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
Well since I started this thread I thought I would add to it now the we know the outcome , big big surprise at the labour vote , not surprised the S.N.P lost over 20 seats its I think a pointer to Sturgeon to curb her idea of another indi vote for now, but a sad day for the tories , I think May was badly advised to have a snap election, there thinking of how bad Corbyn was has back fired, I have no doubt the SNP supporters on here will find someway of claiming a victory, but I think waiting till a later date for Independence is the right move

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 9th Jun 2017, 11:38am
Post #85

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (enrique @ 9th Jun 2017, 11:45am) *
I have no doubt the SNP supporters on here will find someway of claiming a victory

Winning 60% of the seats and having more seats than the three British Nationalist parties who campaigned solely on a "No Indyref2" put together isn't a victory for you Enrique?

Perhaps you can tell me what you do consider a "victory" then? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 9th Jun 2017, 05:43pm
Post #86

Mega City Key Holder
FPTP is not a reflection on public opinion, voter numbers are. If the 3 other main parties campaigned against IndyRef2 and their combined numbers dwarf the SNPs then that means the public are against another referendum. Only one party lost a 3rd of its vote, only one party lost more than a 3rd of it's MP's. To put this into context to show the seriousness of it, the Labour party lost all but 1 seat in 2015 but lost less votes than the SNP did last night.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 9th Jun 2017, 06:00pm
Post #87

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (enrique @ 9th Jun 2017, 10:45am) *
Well since I started this thread I thought I would add to it now the we know the outcome , big big surprise at the labour vote , not surprised the S.N.P lost over 20 seats its I think a pointer to Sturgeon to curb her idea of another indi vote for now, but a sad day for the tories , I think May was badly advised to have a snap election, there thinking of how bad Corbyn was has back fired, I have no doubt the SNP supporters on here will find someway of claiming a victory, but I think waiting till a later date for Independence is the right move

The thing is Enrique, with Sturgeon hijacking the EU Ref for Indyref2 she peed off enough of the public that gave the Tories an extra 11 seats here, without those seats the Tories would not have enough seats to form a government even with the help of the DUP. She cant now go on about austerity from a Tory government when her droning on about Indyref2 for the past year helped put them there.
Will the left leaning public forgive them for that, or more to the point, will the labour party let them forget it, ask 1979.

What also seems to get lost in the results last night is that the Tories increased their votes by over 2 million and beat both the numbers and vote share of Tony Blairs landslide in 1997.

Its time the voting system UK wide was overhauled and Parliaments are more representative of the voters choices.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 9th Jun 2017, 11:21pm
Post #88

City Key Holder
May probably lost because of her vicious 3 pronged attack on the elderly,she was very badly
advised.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 9th Jun 2017, 11:46pm
Post #89

Mega City Key Holder

I've heard that voting among the younger generation increased, the crashing of the UKIP vote could also have effect. Despite what some say, they did have support in traditional Labour areas. Some of the Labour gains have wafer thin majorities a combination of each could have swung it.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 10th Jun 2017, 05:52am
Post #90

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 9th Jun 2017, 08:00pm) *
Its time the voting system UK wide was overhauled and Parliaments are more representative of the voters choices.

If you are talking about Proportional Representation here John I would advise against it.
I live in a country that uses this system and it works against the electorate. Encouraging Cronyism, Nepotism and any other Isim you can think of.
Under PR the voter has no say in who represents the interests of a particular area. with all decisions regarding MP appointments being made at party headquarters.
If any MP goes against Party instructions from Head Office they are replaced with someone more compliant to the Bosses way of thinking. This is done without consulting the voters

If you were to ask any average voter here in SA who is their local MP they would most probably not be able to tell you, the majority of 'MP's' dont go near the area the party have appointed them to look after once their appointment has been confirmed.

Keep the system you have in place now, with one exception get rid of the House of Lords. There is no need to have an unnecessary second house that does nothing for the money spent on it.
Our experience is that when the government engages in anything against the interests of the people then the Constitutional Court soon brings them back to reality.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.