Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lyon Street Glasgow, Memorial to those who died
myagnes
post 15th Sep 2013, 10:56am
Post #61

Settling In
Member No.: 12,214
If this is the same, Joe O'hara, yes I know of such a person, he was know as one of the hard men, if it is the same one ,you must be talking back in the 40s & 50s, I,ve seen him a couple of times on the Garscube Rd.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
myagnes
post 15th Sep 2013, 11:08am
Post #62

Settling In
Member No.: 12,214
Yes the HMS HOOD was sunk by the BISMARCK, i believe she was struck while she was turning towards the enemy, only three survived, the Bismarck got It's just desserts

+Quote Post
irrie
post 15th Sep 2013, 11:19am
Post #63

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
QUOTE (myagnes @ 15th Sep 2013, 10:54am) *
If this is the same, Joe O'hara, yes I know of such a person, he was know as one of the hard men, if it is the same one ,you must be talking back in the 40s & 50s, I,ve seen him a couple of times on the Garscube Rd.

Was only a wean at the time but Foy and Ohara seem to ring a bell as people you didnt want to cross.

+Quote Post
CAT
post 12th Sep 2014, 08:42am
Post #64

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
This is in todays evening times.

Pupils' plaque plan to mark 'bravest street' of Great War
THE "bravest street in Scotland" is said to have lost more soldiers in the Great War than any

Youngsters at Oakgrove Primary plan to replace a plaque that commemorated the fallen soldiers who had lived in a street near their school.

The dead were brothers, cousins and friends who lived in Victorian tenements along Lyon Street. But the road and surrounding streets were cleared when the buildings were bulldozed from the 1960s to the 1980s. Gone too was a wooden commemorative plague.

Oakgrove's head teacher Jane Cerexhe, said: "Our P6 pupils started to learn about the First World War last year and were fascinated by the story of Lyon Street.

"At the time was known as the 'bravest street in Scotland' as it was said to have lost more men than any other street in the country.

"The fact that this happened so close to the school has brought the project to life for the pupils and they have taken this story into their hearts.

"They are keen to replace the missing memorial to the fallen and have done a lot of research but would appreciate the help and stories of anyone with knowledge of Lyon Street and the local area."

The children are working alongside others at neighbouring St Joseph's Primary, community groups and the local community council.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 12th Sep 2014, 02:04pm
Post #65

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Cat, there is a Thread about the Lyon Memorial and an Army guy has been searching for it for a few years.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
CAT
post 12th Sep 2014, 03:16pm
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
Hi Heather cheers I just found it so posted it there also.
It's not a topic I had posted on previously but it rang a bell when I read it so thought it might be of interest to those who did.

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 12th Sep 2014, 04:18pm
Post #67

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,677
Hi Heather - CAT

Thanks for the mention of the Lyon Street thread - and glad to see it being mentioned on Friday's Evening Times - hopefully it will raise further interest in finding the Roll of Honour. Somebody knows what happened to it and with the story being published in the paper it might just jog a memory - here's hoping

Quite fancy a visit to the school's tea shop to see if there is any further development

Again thank you to the forum for all their help

Raymond -Dinger

+Quote Post
jackelma04
post 26th Feb 2015, 07:24pm
Post #68

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,026
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 22nd Jun 2005, 04:07pm) *
Heather, thanks very much for the prompt reply. I'm grateful for any help with this, so a name to follow up would be be great.
It's interesting that you mention it being kept in st. Joseph's as this enquiry was started by a parent with children at St. Joseph's Primary in Raglan St. I work in the Mitchell Library and will contact Milton in the morning.
I look forward to hearing from you with the woman's name.

Hi Dimairt, I,ve just read that you work in the Mitchell Library or maybe by this time
you don,t,anyway is it possible for you to do me a favour. My big brother and sister
and myself fell into the river at Daws holme during the winter of 46-47 but by luck some
men were out shooting water hens from the paper mill and saved us. Maybe it was
44-45 or 45-46. There was something in the (don,t ask me which one) paper my sister
says but I have looked for it whenever I have visited back home. THANKS
Le durachd,
Dimairt

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.