Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Auchinairn
auchinairnboy
post 20th May 2008, 07:28am
Post #16

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,782
I grew up in Auchinairn but left in 1975. As young kids we used to play behind Kinnon & Martin's garage (now Magnet) and play football in the grounds of the Community Hall. Springfield Park was another haunt for football. Looking back, we seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time looking for golf balls (gowfies) on Littlehill. My earliest memories are from the early 60's so I have memories of before Auchinairn grew rapidly. At that time the Woodhill estate didn't exist. In that whole area there was just St.Cyrus Cottage, the white cottage at the top of the hill at the end of what is now St Cyrus Place. Kincardine Drive was still prefabs. Graham Terrace stopped just past the lane up to Montrose Terrace. Huntershill sports ground was still the dump. The dump was still there until at least 1970. Springfield Avenue didn't join onto Muirpark. We called that area Helenvale (don't know why) Larch Avenue and the newer houses in Fern Avenue weren't there.

Like RonD, we played many 'classicos' on the old Auchinairn school pitch where the school building now is. Games were inevitably interupted by women wheeling prams across the pitch from the bottom of Kincardine Drive to the corner flag nearest to Charlie Tuck's bookies.

I remeber the shops. Gowling's at the corner of Auchinairn Road/Clelland Ave. It was run by the Hughes family when I knew it but it was still always known as Gowling's. The Post Office. McKnights. That was built (I think in the early 60s). Stewarts, later Crozier's, lthen from about 62 Sharifs. They sold it last year. Gilligan's, now the chemist. Next door to Gillgans was Mrs Cullen's house. She did ladies' hair. Mills's at the top of the hill at the end of the lane to Kincardine Drive. There were also a couple of oddities. Phillipson's sweet shop which was a green hut at the top of the lane off Springfield Square at the bottomof the 'bing' on the way up to the Privie. And Cloughleys. The woman in the house beside the 17th tee on Littlehill used to sell sweets and lemonade from a window at the side of the house. Bet

Going back at the weekend for a mate's 50th. I'll check out The Glen and the Crow and let you know.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RonD
post 20th May 2008, 11:28am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Welcome 'nairn boy, It's funny how the stores were always known by their previous owners. The wee store beside the school was known as Douglas's when I was there in the late fifties.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 21st May 2008, 07:12am
Post #18

Super Visitor
RonD

I had a schoolfriend who lived at 1 Woodhill Road which must have been very close to you. The address of the adjoining house was Auchinairn Road (277, I think). His name was McLaren. He had older sisters.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 21st May 2008, 11:13am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Our family was the first to live at 1 Woodhill Rd. My older parents and older siblings moved there in December 1947 from the Big Pit (Woodside Terrace) near Mavis Valley. We left in 1958. When I went back in 1986 for the first time, the wife and children of an old school chum lived who used to live in Buchanan Crescent. I'm looking forward to a walk around there when visit this year. I do remember being down in your area but being only ten years old when I left I didn't always remember the names of the streets.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 3rd Jun 2008, 08:55am
Post #20

Super Visitor
Had a walk around Auchinairn at the weekend. The Auchinairn Post Office has closed and is now a hairdresser. The Glen has a new covered outdoor area which is presumably to beat the smoking ban. Didn't look as if there had been any other changes in the last couple of years although I didn't see the Chemist or the tea-room open when I passed.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 3rd Jun 2008, 10:32am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Rond, I was in the Nairn, now the Campsie at a going away party in the Campsie Suite, (upstairs) on Friday night.great function suite for those in the area. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
RonD
post 3rd Jun 2008, 10:51am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Ah'll huv tae check everythin' oot next time ah'm thee especially the pubs!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 10th Jun 2008, 03:18am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
That wee sweetie place was "Doris's" on the golf course lane,when she wasnt open you had to knock on her house door,and your mention of Charlie Tuck,that was my uncle.---great memories!!---the other thing,I lved on Woodhill Rd, but it was the Balornock wooden houses.

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 10th Jun 2008, 01:12pm
Post #24

Super Visitor
http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/auchinairn%2...hill%20Road.htm

This photo must have been taken outside the Nairn/Campsie.

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 10th Jun 2008, 01:16pm
Post #25

Super Visitor
QUOTE (wellfield @ 10th Jun 2008, 04:08 AM) *
That wee sweetie place was "Doris's" on the golf course lane,when she wasnt open you had to knock on her house door,and your mention of Charlie Tuck,that was my uncle.---great memories!!---the other thing,I lved on Woodhill Rd, but it was the Balornock wooden houses.

In the late 60s your uncle had another shop in Springburn opposite the co-op. A lad round the corner from me used to take the betting slips and money from the Auchinairn shop to the Springburn shop by bus! No Securicor then !

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 10th Jun 2008, 05:21pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Your right Auchinairn boy,and from the 40s to the 60s they were in Cowlairs Rd. Charles Tuck and Son's,Bookmakers,and my old man lifted the lines outside our window at 103 Wellfield,Springburn.

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 11th Jun 2008, 09:02am
Post #27

Super Visitor
The Auchinairn 'Charlie Tuck's' became a Ladbrokes. There is now a beauty salon on the site. Ladbrokes have moved to the building between what used to be the co-op ( 'the store';rememder the divi)and what used to be the police houses on Auchinairn Road. There is also a William Hills bookies now. It's in the building which is between the old co-op and the Glen. That building went up in the 70s as a small supermarket. In the 80s it became a snooker club (The Embassy) but it's back to being a shop again.

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 11th Jun 2008, 12:00pm
Post #28

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
It's mentioned a few posts earlier that the Sharif family sold out last year. But as far as I was aware, they still own and lease most of the business premises on Auchinairn Road and Beech Road, excluding the pubs of course.

+Quote Post
auchinairnboy
post 11th Jun 2008, 01:46pm
Post #29

Super Visitor
I was probably wrong. When I was in the shop a couple of weeks ago I recognised the guy behind the counter and I think he was one of the family. I was told a few months ago that Jamil had died. He used to run the Callieburn Road shop when I was at school but in recent years I think he ran the Gulistan restaurant pretty much full time. Sorry for confusion.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 11th Jun 2008, 07:19pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Aye' my kinda' place--a betting shop, a pub,and a pool hall.----is the chippy' near!

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Jul 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.