Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gcc Continuing £4m City Clean Up, Distribution of neighbourhood charters
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 8
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 6th Mar 2007, 10:48pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
I'm very pleased to say that Glasgow City Council is pushing forward full-speed with a wide-ranging £4 million city-wide clean-up campaign. The original campaign was launched on 19th February 2007 and the latest implementation phase is taking the campaign throughout the city.

At the original launch event Council leader Steven Purcell said:
"People throw away up to nine tonnes of litter in the city centre alone on weekend nights. That's enough to fill 12 refuse trucks and is completely unacceptable.

No city authority can keep a city clean on its own. What’s needed is for the people who live and work in this city to decide to stop dropping litter, encourage their children not to drop litter and start to report fly tipping and graffiti.

The Council has to play its part too. We are investing millions more in keeping Glasgow tidy - but I'd much rather than money spent on simply cleaning up after people was instead spent on better services for all citizens.

By working together, local people and the council can create a cleaner Glasgow. But the ultimate enforcement message is: ‘If you continue to act in this anti-social way, you will be caught and fined.”

Events to support the clean-up campaign will continue over the next month and include a 'School Clean Up Day' on 15th March 2007, followed by a 'Glasgow Community and Safety Services Staff Clean Up' on 20th April 2007.

The original Media Release is copied below:

GLASGOW LAUNCHES NEW £4M CAMPAIGN TO CLEAN UP THE CITY

The people of Glasgow have been urged to play their part in keeping the city clean, with the launch today (Monday, February 19th) of a new £4m campaign.

Clean Glasgow is aimed at instilling pride in the city and punishing people who break the law by littering, fly tipping, spraying graffiti and allowing their dogs to foul the streets.

Crucially, the City Council will form partnerships with local neighbourhoods, the business community and other parts of the public sector in Glasgow to reduce the amount of litter dropped and increase the amount which is cleaned up.

A series of Charters, which will effectively form contracts between the City Council and these various sections of the community, will target street litter, graffiti, chewing gum, fly tipping, fly posting and dog fouling - which cost Glasgow taxpayers a staggering £16m in unnecessary spending every year to remove.

The charters will be distributed across the city in groups of ten neighbourhoods and will immediately be followed up by a visit from a Clean Glasgow Team. The team will consist of refuse collectors, graffiti removal teams, enforcement officers, mobile CCTV vans and community engagement teams.

Clean Glasgow will combine an initial “heart and minds” programme aimed at instilling pride in the city’s environment, followed by a get-tough zero tolerance clampdown on litter crime - including uniformed enforcement teams who will hit offenders with on-the-spot £50 fines.

Council leader Steven Purcell, speaking at the launch at Glasgow City Chambers today, said:
"People throw away up to nine tonnes of litter in the city centre alone on weekend nights. That's enough to fill 12 refuse trucks and is completely unacceptable.

“No city authority can keep a city clean on its own. What’s needed is for the people who live and work in this city to decide to stop dropping litter, encourage their children not to drop litter and start to report fly tipping and graffiti.

"The Council has to play its part too. We are investing millions more in keeping Glasgow tidy - but I'd much rather than money spent on simply cleaning up after people was instead spent on better services for all citizens.

"By working together, local people and the council can create a cleaner Glasgow. But the ultimate enforcement message is: ‘If you continue to act in this anti-social way, you will be caught and fined.”

The campaign will provide new or redirected resources for the fight against grime crime, including:

• 185 dedicated clean-up and enforcement staff
• 200 new bins with cigarette trays in the city centre alone
• 10 new mobile CCTV vans

Clean Glasgow’s first focus is the Neighbourhood Charter, copies of which will be delivered to every single home in Glasgow’s 56 housing areas in a rolling programme over the coming weeks.
Coinciding with the delivery of these Charters, clean-up squads will arrive in each area to tackle street litter, graffiti, eyesore fly-tipping refuse and more - returning on a regular basis.

In addition, a new network of Community Safety Patrol Officers will report litter, graffiti, vandalism and other anti-social behaviour - resulting in fines for those responsible.

The Charter will also invite local people and community organisations to get involved by calling a freephone number to the Clean Glasgow Community Action Team, who will organise special local clean-up events - providing toolkits of equipment and safety advice.

Rate this story now...

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Mar 2007, 10:55pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
...one of the worst problems facing the city IMO is the discarding of chewing gum, especially outside busy centres...you can just imagine the clowns chewing away and then, as soon as they hit fresh air, they just spit their chewing gum on the ground. How stupid is that?

Below is an example from last summer which highlights the problem: the photo is of the exit of Glasgow Central Station, looking onto George Square (if you can see it past the gum on the ground!).

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 7th Mar 2007, 01:10am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
This should make quite a difference, its the one thing most people notice when they return to Glasgow . I for one never realized just how untidy the city was.After living here in Canada I would never think of dropping paper or anything on the street. I would carry it with me until I reached a garbage bin.Each Spring we have a clean up day here in town.Its where local works and stores etc get together and organize a clean up after the winter. The schools get involved also. At first I used to be annoyed at someone expecting my girls to lift garbage from a school yard,however it does teach them not to litter.Keep the town clean and tidy.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 7th Mar 2007, 03:04am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif Glasgow needs this in a big way,a nice wee clean up here & there should do a world of good cos when visitors talk so lovingly of their visit to Glasgow they add on the end what a shame it is so very dirty & untidy cos it is a great city. That to me is like getting met with yer best relative & being manky(Angel with a dirty face cin a thing)Heres another usefull usage of petty crime folk ,Glasgow could utelise community services for those who do small crimes etc,this is done in America I believe & also here in Australia wherein those impoverished yet committ pettycrimes & cannot pay fines etc have an option to do various types of community services & some of them are utelised in rubbish removals,Tidy ups for companys clubs schools & such like.Sure would be nice to hear that dirty tag going from peoples visits.Same as Isobel does I do the same thing & Keep hold of it untillI find a bin. The first noted thing from every Glaswegian I have had here in Australia visiting ,is that we are in such a tidy & clean enviornment here in Aus ,so Glaswegians do not enjoy the dirt & untidyness of their city when abroad they say so.Let Glasgow Breathe & flourish Glaswegians biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
stratson
post 7th Mar 2007, 06:16am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
This is a subject which has long disturbed me. The litter in all of Glasgow, not just city centre is appalling. Am sick to death of picking up a trails of litter. Is all very well for this being unlawful, have yet to see this law being enforced. Same goes for dog fouling, I watch them day in and out walking dogs in my local park, not a sign of a "POOPER SCOOPER".There is a notice,Dog foulers will be prosecuted, is time Glasgow wakened up, and enforced all of it's laws. Have reached the stage when am afraid to say to perpetrators, you've dropped something , or clean up after your dog. It's one of the drawbacks of old age.
To our City Father's, clean up all of Glasgow, not just city centre.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
*Guest Sam*
post 8th Mar 2007, 11:23am
Post #6

I often wonder what visitors from 'really clean' places like Germany and Scandanavia think when they get here and see the litter and grafitti, as I think it is really bad, so presumably they think even worse!!!

Wonder if it ever puts them off coming back, or recommending the city to friends?

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 10th Mar 2007, 12:17am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
We weren't in Glasgow for any great length of time so I cant comment although I did see people tossing away their cigarette butts. I think that cities should have more receptacles to encourage people to throw in their trash. I suggest that these receptables be painted a bright, eye-catching color, and have a slogan painted on them. This is a chance for a competition and the winner is......... The city needs publicity for its campaign and I think this would work.

Over here prisoners are used to pick up any trash along the parkways. Naturally, they are guarded and I am sure they dont mind the job because they are outside. You will see their wee plastic bundles ready to be taken away.

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 10th Mar 2007, 12:45am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
I will admit that I was taken aback by the amount of litter lying about the streets of Glasgow when I was back, but then again I did not see a lot of litter bins for people to use (not at that time anyway). As for chewing gum, I like Singapore's attitude, spit it on the street and you are liable to be charged with an offence and given time to do public service--like cleaning the streets etc. Now the dog poo, happens to be a bit of a sore point with me. We have multiple dogs (and cats-but that's a different story, they are inside) and whenever we walk them etc. we always take our plastic baggies etc. It is the only right thing to do, for many reasons. Hygiene is the most obvious but also even if these people who do not scoop would just think about their dogs, they might realise that all sorts of problems can be transmitted from one dog to another (not even mentioning the more important aspect that children can be affected too) by this. We have neighbour in the USA who walks her dog and carries a baggie but if she thinks no one is watching she just scuffs the snow over it and keeps going. How nasty is that? Maybe one day I will take our dogs down there and let them attend to their business right in front of her house, think she might get the point (JOKE< JOKE) laugh.gif GB

+Quote Post
jakka13
post 10th Mar 2007, 03:46am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
I don't want to come down on smokers here but I'm sure they will recognize themselves here .The ashtray dumped outside their car in a parking lot !!!I stepped in one pile last week and had to leave the spot and get out and clean my boots as my van stunk of old fags .I was waitng in the front door of my arartment for my husband to pick me up .Our building is a non smoking area so anyone entering has to butt out .Instead of butting out in the places provided they chose to just drop and step .I counted nearly 100 buts around our door .(Our Superintendant was sick)
Here in Toronto we have recycle bins on everycorner but the litter is still all over the place .Education has to be the answer .Scarborough has a very high immigration problem .A lot of these people wouldn't know a garbage can if it came and hit them in the face .

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Mar 2007, 08:31pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
We got a letter form Glasgow Council this morning about keeping the city clean and not throwing litter about. I assume these letters were sent out to everyone. What a waste of money.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 11th Mar 2007, 06:59pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
huh.gif yes a waste of money cos they will only have to pick it up again in the rubbish collections eh,think they should`ve used the news to their advantage on this one instead. what better reasons to keep glasgow tidy & clean than to get plenty of practice before the commonwealth events etc biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 13th Mar 2007, 04:30pm
Post #12

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
Gargabe,always has been a problem in Glasgow. Why hasn't there been programmes in the schools about littering. Usually when kids adhere to an idea, they try to convince their parents it's a good thing..This apparently hasn't happened...Must agree, on my visits, there are not many visible waste containers available..I liked the idea of,sorry I forget who, who suggested brightly painted resceptacles...Get the schoolkids involved in some kind of a competition for suggestions.

I remember on one occasion on one of my visits to Glasgow..I was waiting for a bus,with my Dad..This teenager discarded the wrapper from a chocolate bar to the ground,with a wastbasket in full view inches from where she stood...it got the better of me, and I politely pointed out that perhaps she didn't see the basket...Her reply..."It gies work tae somebody".

+Quote Post
*Clean Glasgow*
post 27th Mar 2007, 05:36pm
Post #13

I thought I'd take a pic the base of the Tron Steeple in the Trongate (Merchant City now), just outside the Tron Theatre today (where I work) and let you see the state of it!

And yes, that is the the offices of Glasgow City Council Leisure Services in the background.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.