Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

40 Pages V  « < 38 39 40  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did You Get The Belt At School?, How many, what for and did it work?
taurus
post 30th Dec 2020, 08:03pm
Post #586

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
I`m off topic here too Sumac ,so give me the belt. happy.gif .Yes the names of places her are qirky. Wollongong,which we pronounce Woolongong,my husband refuses to,we go with the flow,if they pronounce something that doesnt sit right,well who are we to say,we`re incomers.Asphalt,thats another one,the ey will say ashfelt. yes W`gong ,has the most glorious looking beach,with a gorgeous escarpment view coming down a mountain (
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
taurus
post 30th Dec 2020, 08:35pm
Post #587

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
I can`t find the edit for that post,so anyway coming down a mountain (BIG hill) especially at night, it`s breathtaking. and a beautiful coastline for miles and miles,interspersed with the massive steel works which brought hundreds of migrants to settle the area,and all sorts of industries in among it,but still a lovely place. Kanahooka,how about that for a quirky name,it`s in the same area.
I could go on boring,but it`s not allowed so i`ll stop. Thanks Sumac for you interest ,and your interesting posts too.shame you couldnt fly,I`m profoundly claustraphobic,(car doors,toilet doors) but I made myself fly over 20 times,worth it to see my loved ones in the UK,and a few trips to New York,left that too late i`m afraid,its just a tacky tourist trap,from what it must have been in the days gone by.still we loved that and plenty of jazz for us,but the oldies all in jazz heaven now sadly.

+Quote Post
lorrydon
post 31st Dec 2020, 11:33pm
Post #588

Unpacking
Member No.: 50,155
aye Taurus the beaches here are lovely and the view is fantastic have lived here of and on since 1960 but back to the belt I was not the only one who copped it from the same teacher as I said the rest of the kids could not stand him either many of them got the toss as he used to call it if there is anyone from high possil I would love to hear there stories

+Quote Post
lorrydon
post 2nd Jan 2021, 04:42am
Post #589

Unpacking
Member No.: 50,155
QUOTE (wellfield @ 15th Dec 2008, 07:01am) *
I was told by our headmaster at Colston school back in the 50s that I held the record for the most belt given to any student in that school---Chronic truant,I had a card to be initialled by every teacher in every period--even had to go to court,and ended up being held back for another year.---funnily enough this never affected my future career---I guess I learned all I had to at Wellfield nursery school,ha ha.---whats the old saying"send me the boy at three and I'll send you back the man at seven"

sounds like you went to school with my brother he was in the same boat when he went to coulson wub.gif

+Quote Post
sumac
post 2nd Jan 2021, 10:42am
Post #590

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
I think it’s what happened in schools in the poor areas of Glasgow. As I came from the East End when I went to Jordanhill, I did my teaching practice in the poor areas - Dennistoun (the poshest area I went to), Blackhill, and Golfhill (behind Tennents Brewery in Duke Street). It was fully expected that you would use the belt a lot. Just to let us see “how the other half lived”, we spent a whole day in Broomhill Primary. What a revelation! Us students were so used to arguing and cajoling with the “baddies” of the East End. We were suddenly faced with precocious little b*****ds who would say things like, “You won’t have a yacht like I do,” or, “What car do you have? I’ve got a Mercedes”. They spoke down to us as if we were something stuck to their shoes. I really disliked that school and those children - and they were only primary kids!

I was never so glad to get back to our “baddies”. There was nothing more wonderful than when you got through to one of them, and could share a joke with them, or listen to their stories.

I’ve said it before, I had to learn to belt children by belting the back of our sofa with a Lochgelly. I was almost physically sick belting children and, despite misgivings when the belt was banned, I found that life went on in schools as before, but I wasn’t assaulting children. The “baddies” were just like before, no better but no worse.

I was on the receiving end of the belt at primary school, despite being a wee goodie. As I said before, that was just part of being in a school in a poor area.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 2nd Jan 2021, 12:07pm
Post #591

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
I too got the belt a couple of times at Primary School (Springbank). I don't think it did me any long-term harm and I made sure I never got the belt in my 4 years at Secondary School (North Kelvinside).

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 3rd Jan 2021, 03:35am
Post #592

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (lorrydon @ 1st Jan 2021, 08:42pm) *
sounds like you went to school with my brother he was in the same boat when he went to coulson wub.gif

Ha' lorrydon,I may have sharerd a few 'plunkin' days with him!....chuckle....take care dear lady....happy 2021

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 38 39 40
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th Apr 2021

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.