Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tv Programs
Ruchazie Rat
post 3rd Sep 2013, 02:33pm
Post #211

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,702
Curtis is a middle-class New Labourite tosser.

Blackaddder`s Xmas Carol. Miriam Margoyles and Jim Broadbent, as Queen Vic and Alb, visit Ebenezeer Blackadder. And pretend to be from The Gorbals. Cue for lots of snide South-East "Golden Triangle/Home Counties" class-racism. Ha ****ing ha...

Blackadder The Third. Atkenson plays 2 parts in one ep. The latter being... a ginger haired, boozemad, womanising, throwback, kiltclad savage.

More cheap laughs at guess whose expense?

Anyone care to try and find any Curtis POSITIVE Scots characters?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 23rd Dec 2013, 08:37pm
Post #212

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Alex Norton presents a humerous look at the Scottish accent as portrayed on film and tv tonight at 9pm (about 10mins from now). I know we all cringe at certain Hollywood productions, but sometimes the humour is affectionate and I for one quite like the janitor on the Simpsons, Russ Abbott's 'see you Jimmy' and Mike Myers "heid" character.
9pm BBC 1

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 23rd Dec 2013, 09:48pm
Post #213

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
I've just watched it...never understood a word laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Noonan McKane
post 23rd Dec 2013, 10:34pm
Post #214

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,552
As a longtime devotee of 'Blackadder', I'd like to defend it.

There aren't any black characters in Blackadder because the 4 series are all set in Britain between 1485 and 1917.

The episode (of Blackadder The Third, the final episode, 'Duel And Duality') which features Blackadder's cousin 'MacAdder', doesn't show a 'boozemad womaniser'. MacAdder doesn't drink at all in the episode, and he actually spurns the advances of a woman other than his wife, telling her that we "must do right by Morag. You will fight her in the old highland way: bare breasted and each wielding an eight-pound baby."

In 'Blackadder's Christmas Carol', when Prince Albert tries to conceal his identity by claiming he is "from Glasgow", Blackadder replies "Ah! A fine city. I love The Gorbals." The prince answers "I love them, too. A lovely couple. Lots of fun." The joke is at the expense of Prince Albert, and definitely not Glasgow, Scotland or the Scots.

I think Richard Curtis is a brilliant writer. Sure, he's probably a bit 'Oxbridge' and probably a bit southern-centric, but I believe he's got no harm in him. Same with Rowan Atkinson (the original co-writer of Blackadder) and Ben Elton (who co-wrote Blackadder from series 2 onward), although Elton can be an arse when he really tries.

+Quote Post
*Ann Droid*
post 28th Dec 2013, 03:48am
Post #215

QUOTE (Noonan McKane @ 23rd Dec 2013, 10:51pm) *
As a longtime devotee of 'Blackadder', I'd like to defend it.

There aren't any black characters in Blackadder because the 4 series are all set in Britain between 1485 and 1917.

The episode (of Blackadder The Third, the final episode, 'Duel And Duality') which features Blackadder's cousin 'MacAdder', doesn't show a 'boozemad womaniser'. MacAdder doesn't drink at all in the episode, and he actually spurns the advances of a woman other than his wife, telling her that we "must do right by Morag. You will fight her in the old highland way: bare breasted and each wielding an eight-pound baby."

In 'Blackadder's Christmas Carol', when Prince Albert tries to conceal his identity by claiming he is "from Glasgow", Blackadder replies "Ah! A fine city. I love The Gorbals." The prince answers "I love them, too. A lovely couple. Lots of fun." The joke is at the expense of Prince Albert, and definitely not Glasgow, Scotland or the Scots.

I think Richard Curtis is a brilliant writer. Sure, he's probably a bit 'Oxbridge' and probably a bit southern-centric, but I believe he's got no harm in him. Same with Rowan Atkinson (the original co-writer of Blackadder) and Ben Elton (who co-wrote Blackadder from series 2 onward), although Elton can be an arse when he really tries.

If ye canny laugh at yersel' dinna bother laughing at ony other!!!

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.