Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Psychics, What's your thoughts on them
proudmaryhiller
post 26th Nov 2011, 03:02am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,432
Hi folks, went for a private face to face meeting with a well known Psychic a few days ago, beginning to wish I hadn't now. My Mum came through and advised about a health problem for a member of my family, this has now left me quite worried as one member of my family passed away with this many years ago and another has got it (not cancer), I got into a little stramash with this person as I thot this message should not have been passed on to me,and I asked if really sure this message was for me, answer "your Mum told me" sad.gif there have been a few bereavements this year and the opportunity came up to go see this psychic and I just wanted to try and get some info on their passings, and also any info on family members who had passed.

Has anyone on here ever been to see a psychic? and even if not what are your thoughts on them? this person had a newpaper column for around 15 years don't want to make name public, well liked and seemingly very accurate sad.gif

Like to know your thoughts on this topic thanks.

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
littlebernie
post 26th Nov 2011, 05:00am
Post #2

Special Visitor
Member No.: 221
i have visted a psychics i found the message i got was very correct i was very surrprised at the knowlage of my mum and dad as they passed some 20 years ago i now attend a church which invites differnt psychics each sunday i do beleve that they a tallent to reach the spirit world but its not for me
smile.gif

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 26th Nov 2011, 05:40am
Post #3

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
There's an elderly gent in the USA who has been studying psychics since he was 17 years old. He has offered a reward of $1m dollars to anyone who can prove their psychic abilities and so far, nobody has proved it. He seems to think that there are a lot of con artists out there, but also a lot of deluded folk who truly believe they have psychic gifts when they don't. It's called cold reading, where there are hit and miss questions where many will tick the right box and where there are general points which could be made about many of us. There was a tv programme called Extraordinary People where a Scots guy who calls himself the Baby Whisperer and who claims to speak for babies and young children came up against various tests which seemed to disprove his abilities. He then had an ECG test whish showed that there was certainly something very different going on in his temporal lobe compared to the rest of us.
My own feeling is that there's no evidence to prove psychic powers and am therefore not a fan of the claims made by such folk.

+Quote Post
angel
post 26th Nov 2011, 05:46am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

Hi Mary , I have never had a meeting with a psychic , I have always
felt for myself , that it's , better to leave well enough alone . unsure.gif I guess I'm a scardey cat. cheers.

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 26th Nov 2011, 07:10am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (angel @ 26th Nov 2011, 06:05am) *
Hi Mary , I have never had a meeting with a psychic , I have always
felt for myself , that it's , better to leave well enough alone . unsure.gif I guess I'm a scardey cat. cheers.

I went to a stage show of John Edwards the American Medium.
During one of his reading with a member of the audience he suddenly broke of and moving to the opposite side of the stage he pointed up to the balcony and said that he needed to speak to David, with that he went back to reading the other person.
He eventualy came back to our side of the stage and asked for a show of hand of people who thought the messsage was for them.
I was one of the people that put up their hands, if you have ever watched his show on TV he always asked questions to verify who the message is for.

the first question was theres something about a
Blood Sausage, the only thing I could think of was Black Pudding, anyway a few people put their hands down at that.

his next question was does the a name beginning with S mean anything, when you are standing there your mind goes blank and for the life of me nothing came to mind.

Next question was theres an Irish connection, my mothers side are all from the South,at that there were only three of us left.

The third question was does anybody here have a brother that commited suicide by hanging himself, this got me puzzled as my brother did commit suicide but not by hanging, he poured petrol over himself and lit the match,

By now I was the only one standing but was still not sure he then asked me what is the significance of the numbers 4 and 4 it was my wife who realised that our youngest granddaugter was born on the 4th of the 4th

In the session that followed it became clear that the Letter S was probably my late cousin Shirley who's son had indeed commited suicide by hanging himself.

Now it doesnt prove anything but yes I do believe in Psychics

+Quote Post
Elma
post 26th Nov 2011, 08:46am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I'm with Angel, never been to a psychic and never intend to go to one. I'm not a believer in them, I feel they can con you into thinking they have special powers.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th Nov 2011, 12:47pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 26th Nov 2011, 06:29am) *
In the session that followed ...

Was there a message for you?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 26th Nov 2011, 01:27pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Mediums, psychics or whatever ye choose to call them, in my case I term these Mystic Meg buffoons. . . charlatans.

Their MO is startingly simple.

They simply gush generalistic and sweeping twaddle knowing that many folks are vulnerable and that they will believe what they want to believe. These bunkum merchants simply prey on their customers aka "victims" susceptibility to spurious mumbo jumbo.

The practice of jiggery pokery is not rocket science, that is why these con artists practice it as they wouldnea get a job as wet sweeps assistant in a Bombay Public Cludggie.

"Och Rabbie yer such as sceptic!" I hear the "believers" call.

Aye yer deid right thurr! Ye see fowks, when it biles doon to the crunch it's awe jist a load of auld Grannies' pish.

Mind ye, each tae their ain. Me I dae science.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th Nov 2011, 01:37pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (proudmaryhiller @ 26th Nov 2011, 02:21am) *
... I thot this message should not have been passed on to me ...

I've some good news and I've some bad news. Which would you like to hear?
You mean that kinda thing?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 26th Nov 2011, 04:44pm
Post #10

City Key Holder
Hi folks, thanks for your replies.

Angel, ya big scaredy cat biggrin.gif I was asked to sit facing as to be able to see my eyes! had a strange feeling of looking right into my soul unsure.gif

Dave Grieve, I'm sorry to hear that of your brother, its tragic and I have watched "Crossing over with John Edward" on cable and he was a guest on Larry King's show quite a few times.

Tee, I did not go to get good/bad news and I never broached the subject of my family's health, this came thru from a question to the psychic which had absolutely nothing to do with health.

I am no pushover, but there are probably a lot of desperate poor souls out there who are.

I think I will just have to put this down to a bad experience. I had always wanted to meet this person but what a disappointment.

Two other people also came thru I think I know who they are, but no names were given just a grandfather/mother person/s and I kept asking if I can have names, but none were given.

Albert biggrin.gif it probably is a load of p**h!

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
benny
post 26th Nov 2011, 09:14pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 26th Nov 2011, 05:59am) *
. . . . . . .My own feeling is that there's no evidence to prove psychic powers and am therefore not a fan of the claims made by such folk.

Actually, there is quite a body of evidence to support the contention that some people have "psychic powers", as you term it. The proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research are replete with instances of death bed visions, clairvoyance, telepathy, etc. Most of the evidence is anecdotal, not laboratory based, but none the worse for that. If one or two people were to report such things, I could perhaps shrug them off as coincidences, but when thousands of ordinary people report such things, I feel that there is, at the least, food for thought in the matter.

As far as commercial "psychics" go however, I have a deep distrust of anyone who claims to exercise these powers for financial gain. That's not to say that they are necessarily all con artists, but where money is to be made from such claims, I would be very wary about accepting them at face value.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 27th Nov 2011, 02:33pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (benny @ 26th Nov 2011, 08:33pm) *
... I feel that there is, at the least, food for thought in the matter.

As with anything else, Benny. Everything is worth, at least, thinking about. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 28th Nov 2011, 06:55am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Morning all
First of all thanks Maryhiller for your kind words, my brother and my cousins son commited suicide for the same reason, they had both gone through bad divorces with two pretty vindictive woman who point blank refused to allow them access to their kids.

Luckily I have never been in that position so I cant say what was going through their mind to lead them to end it all especially my brother Earls way of going, he lasted for almost a week in hospital before he died.

Yes Tomi there was a message for me, but I dont thinks its for this board.

As for the other non-believers well all I can ask you is if you have ever had any kind of personal experience that you could not explain anything that went against you beliefs, I dont mean going to a Psychic, something that happened to you alone?

Everybody is different, in my family I have seen things that defy believe. My eldest daughter since she was a toddler has told us things that she couldent possibly know about the family that had died before she was born, on the other hand my wife and youngest daughter have the spiritual awareness of a plank of wood.

To each his own

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 28th Nov 2011, 08:53am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Dave, you make a good point about individual experiences. My wife and I have had things happen to us that defy logic......or at least our logic. There is an explanation for everything, if you want to take it. I tend to agree with Benny's summation though, there are undoubtedly people who have the capacity to tell you about things past, but who needs to know that. I don't subscribe to the belief that it is possible to either call up spirits at will or to predict the future. Even if it were possible, I would rather the future remained something to experience when I get there.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 28th Nov 2011, 05:13pm
Post #15

City Key Holder
Hi Dave you are very welcome, it's all so very sad.

I asked the Psychic about my own experience of the 'visitations' to my home, did not come up with anything of relevance, just "oh these spirits can sometimes filter through?! rolleyes.gif

Ashfield, I agree with you don't really want to know what the future holds, and I really do not believe for one moment that my Mum would have given the message she supposedly did and leave her family with worry.

I have found a key in my bag and don't know where it has come from...very strange.

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.