Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Lyon Street Glasgow Memorial, Memorial To Men Of Lyon Street
Rating 4 V
*Dexter Gebbie*
post 17th Aug 2007, 06:40pm
Post #31

QUOTE (Dexter Gebbie @ 13th Aug 2007, 07:25 PM) *
Hello Raymond,
My mother and her family were brought up in Lyon Street. Her maiden name was Rice and her mother's (my grandmother) was Ward. Both families Lived In Lyon Street around WW.! period; John Rice at number 32 and Francis Ward at number 45.
I was brought up in the Cowcaddens during the late 1950's and early 1960's. I am proud of these "Men from Lyon Street" and I feel that they should have their bravery and sacrifice acknowledged formerly by the city. To that end I have contacted the MSP ,Patricia Ferguson for the Maryhill district, (boundary changes now place Lyon within Maryhill!!) in order to have a replacement memorial made with the names of the fallen inscribed. I believe this should be accompanied by some ceremony. It may be necessary for me to invite the press to highlight the issues involved; this would help you also in your search for the missing plaques.
Please contact me and perhaps we can work together.

sincerely
Dex
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 18th Aug 2007, 02:52pm
Post #32

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,677
Hi Dex

Thanks for your reply - as you may have read as you read through the postings concerning the original memorial it was a lady who worked at St Josephs who first told me about the men of Lyon Steet. I was serving as a Sergeant Major with the 52nd Lowland when she approached my Adjutant to ask for assistance and he tasked me to assist. That was about 4 years ago and I continue the search as it has proven an interesting task.

The lady (Liz) has had a memorial dedicated to the Lyon Street men made up and the main one is in St Josephs School in Raglan Street with a smaller version on display in the local library.

I have searched the internet as a means to find out more but there is very little on the subject so what Liz has done is put a poem that was dedicated to them onto her plaque - do you have any names of those who were killed so that we may look for them on the War Graves Commission to add to the couple of names that we do have??

Any information could break the loop in this search

Thanks for your interest

Raymond

+Quote Post
*Dexter Gebbie*
post 22nd Aug 2007, 04:57pm
Post #33

Hi Raymond,
I,ve spoken to Liz and i understand that she has worked hard and for a long time to find the missing plaques. I don't have any of the names on the Roll of Honour, and I feel that unless we find it or one of the many miniatures that Liz told me about, then it will be an uphill task to obtain those names mentioned on the plaque. I have asked the MSP for Maryhill to arrange for a replacement with all due ceremony but I hold little hope of success from that quarter. Her response to my email was to say that a burgh hall is to be renovated in around two years time and she has mentioned the "Men from Lyon Street" to the trustee of this project. No joy there as yet!
I have spoken with a journalist from the Scotsman who thinks that there is a good story here, but she has to do some further research and then , of course, her boss has to give it the green light. Still, this may be just what we need - some nationwide publicity!! I have referred this journalist to Liz who will be contacted soon.
I'm going to the NLS to obtain a copy of the newspaper article that you posted and will give that to this journalist to facilitate her research.
I am also looking at the Lyon Street postal directory for 1914- 18 to check out names - it might come in useful.
Finally, I would just like to express the view that I believe that Glasgow council should formerly acknowledge the sacrifices of these "Men from Lyon Street" with a remembrance plaque of some kind with all due ceremony.

Dex

+Quote Post
*Dexter Gebbie*
post 22nd Aug 2007, 08:23pm
Post #34

Hi Raymond,

Have you checked the Public Records Office at the MOD. OI believe they hold detailed records of enlisted men of the period in question?
Dex

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 26th Aug 2007, 07:55pm
Post #35

Super Resident
Hi Dex

Thanks for your post and no doubt Liz will be pleased that her search is continuing as she has spent a good few years on the task.

As I have posted before the fact that it may be in some brewers board room or foyer was one of the paths that was mentioned but I have had no luck in this sector to date but again the problem is finding who the brewers were who supplied the local pubs as it appears that there were a lot of small companies who sold beers etc to the area.

But as I said the search continues and again thanks for your efforts and I will post if anything comes up

Raymond

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 30th Aug 2007, 07:57pm
Post #36

Super Resident
Hi Dex

It appears that STV put something on the 6 O'Clock news about Lyon Street but I missed it so I am going to give them a call over the next few days - my neighbour mentioned it to me as I came home tonight

Just to let you know

Raymond

+Quote Post
GG
post 30th Aug 2007, 09:01pm
Post #37

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Raymond,

There was an article in The Scotsman this week:

http://news.scotsman.com/glasgow.cfm?id=1365152007

I added links from it to the discussions here so that people could find out more information posted by yourself.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*dexter gebbie*
post 30th Aug 2007, 11:17pm
Post #38

Hi Raymond,
I sent in an email to Stv.com with a short version of the "Men from Lyon Street" and they were quite keen to know more. I mentioned Liz and her long search for the the lost plaques and also how St Jopseph's primary school honoured these men. I think we can get on to a radio talk show too - say radio Scotland and really get our message out.!! I,ve also written to Alex Salmond to ask for some official acknowledgement re; Lyon Street Men and I,m waiting on a reply.
Liz told me that there were many miniatures made of the memorial plaques - it could be that someone in one of the new towns could have it- I mean there were more than 300,000 people moved to these outlaying areas in the last 50 years or so.
regards
Dex

+Quote Post
*dexter gebbie*
post 31st Aug 2007, 03:37pm
Post #39

Hi Raymond,
I have some news - the MSP and Mp for Maryhill wish to see me about the possibilty of a memorial to the "Men from Lyon Street". I have told Liz about it and we both agree that it would be both appropriate and helpful to have yoiu along at this meeting. Will you call me to discuss this matter? Liz has my number.
regards
Dex

+Quote Post
*Guest Christine **
post 27th Sep 2007, 09:32pm
Post #40

I have been wathcing this topic over a number of months now. I hope there is a resolution very soon as I too had at least three generations of family were born and lived in Lyon Street. Life was tough in those days. I hope that the efforts of all of those involved will be rewarded soon. Good Luck!

+Quote Post
*Guest Raymond Bell **
post 29th Sep 2007, 08:57pm
Post #41

Hi Dex

Sorry I have not been on the forum for a while and have just picked up your last note I was away for a while and could not access my computer to check on things - came back to lots of messages (EMails) and have now just checked the forum - I hope that you have not had your meeting yet and if time permits I would like to attend - but it depends on date and my work committments - or if you have had your meeting I hope it was a success - you can let me know? - I run with an old army association The Glasgow Highlanders and I have just produced it's first newsletter and I put a story about the memorial into it and one of it's members recons that the police might have taken the memorial and I am going to visit them over the next few days as there may be some truth in this - I'll let you know through the forum - This is yet another path that we can follow and fingers crossed. I sent Liz an EMail yesterday to let her know - My EMail address is dinger105@hotmail.com if you want to EMail me your address and if you have access to Microsoft Publisher I can send you a copy of the newsletter.

Once again sorry for the delay in replying

Raymond - Dinger

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 1st Oct 2007, 05:38pm
Post #42

Super Resident
Hi Dex

I sent a reply about two days ago but it appears not to have been published - The reply was to say sorry for not getting in touch sooner as I had been away for a while and not been able to check the forum - I don't know if you have had your meeting with the MSP yet?? and if so hope that it went well and would be keen to find the outcome - if you have not met them yet I would be interested in attending with you and Liz but it would depend on my work committments if I could attend - could you let me know.

I followed up a lead that the police station had taken the memorial and I visited the police Museum in Glasgow Saltmarket to-day and had a good chat with the curator - they don't have it but the lad seemed to take an interest in the subject and I said I would follow up the information that came from a gentleman in a local pub after he read my story in the Glasgow Highlanders Newsletter which I sent to all my Glasgow Highlander members.

I had a call from a lady on my answer machine at work - not really saying anything apart from it's Liz and she is in the process of moving house and would call me back with a contact number - so I Don't know if it is Liz concerning the memorial??

Keep in touch and hope this one gets published

Raymond

+Quote Post
*dexter gebbie*
post 6th Oct 2007, 11:42pm
Post #43

Hi Raymond

Sorry I haven,t replied sooner to your posting- I just haven,t been checking recently. I,m sorry to hear that your latest lead was not fruitfull. Liz said that she would try to contact you - she is currently waiting for the priest at St. Columba,s to search the basements there just in case the plaques were left there. I don ,t yet know if this search has yielded results - I,ll phone her on Monday and let you know! I did meet with Patricia Ferguson and Ann McKechnie, M.S.P, and M.P. for Maryhill. We had a very positive and I think productive meeting; They agreed to the following:
1. Consider naming a street in Maryhill/Cowcaddens "Lyon Street" to honour those men and their community.
2.Ask the M.O.D. to search their archives for the records of these men from Lyon Street.
3. to ask the Lord Lieutenant of Glasgow to acknowledge the sacrifice and deeds of these men and to state this in a letter to be framed and kept by St. Joseph's Primary school iuntil such time as the Maryhill burgh hall renovations are complete.
4. That a service be held on Remembrance Sunday to commemorate the "Men from Lyon Street".
I think that this is a good response from our elected representatives = let me know what you think.
Thanks for your email address - I,ll contact you again soon.
CYA
Dex

+Quote Post
*dexter gebbie*
post 6th Oct 2007, 11:52pm
Post #44

Hi Raymond

Sorry I haven,t replied sooner to your posting- I just haven,t been checking recently. I,m sorry to hear that your latest lead was not fruitfull. Liz said that she would try to contact you - she is currently waiting for the priest at St. Columba,s to search the basements there just in case the plaques were left there. I don ,t yet know if this search has yielded results - I,ll phone her on Monday and let you know! I did meet with Patricia Ferguson and Ann McKechnie, M.S.P, and M.P. for Maryhill. We had a very positive and I think productive meeting; They agreed to the following:
1. Consider naming a street in Maryhill/Cowcaddens "Lyon Street" to honour those men and their community.
2.Ask the M.O.D. to search their archives for the records of these men from Lyon Street.
3. to ask the Lord Lieutenant of Glasgow to acknowledge the sacrifice and deeds of these men and to state this in a letter to be framed and kept by St. Joseph's Primary school iuntil such time as the Maryhill burgh hall renovations are complete.
4. That a service be held on Remembrance Sunday to commemorate the "Men from Lyon Street".
I think that this is a good response from our elected representatives = let me know what you think.
Thanks for your email address - I,ll contact you again soon.
CYA
Dex

+Quote Post
*Guest CHRISTINE **
post 10th Oct 2007, 09:52pm
Post #45

I look for this subject every other week or so. I too had family lived in Lyon Street, for many years. I would appreciate if it could be confirmed , or otherwise, on this page, if the rememberance service for the men of Lyon Street will go ahead and where.

This has been quite fascinating.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.