Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tailors In Argyle Street, What was their name?????
Avril
post 10th Sep 2006, 08:33pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Does anyone remember a tailors shop in Argyle Street near Glasgow Cross, opposite the big clock? My husband used to get his made-to-measure suits in there in the 1960's.The subject cropped up in conversation today and for the love of us, we can't remember the name of the shop....we think it was Tom ?????, but we might be wrong....Somebody help PLEASE!.....these CRAFT moments are driving us crazy!!!

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Elma
post 10th Sep 2006, 09:25pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Can't think of that one georgia. My husband got his suits made in Willoughbys. They also had a ladies department and he bought me a lovely red wool suit there. We called it a Beatles suit as the jacket was collarless and buttoned right up. It would be around 63/64 as I wore it to my brother-in-law's wedding in September 1964.

I'm sure someone will remember the tailor you are asking about.

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Sep 2006, 12:10am
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi georgia, near Glasgow Cross there were quite a few tailors, the ones I can remember include:

> Caledonian Tailors

> City Cash Tailors

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 11th Sep 2006, 12:49am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Hi,
Not sure this is the correct spelling, but Hector Pow's??? That is how it sounded when my Mum mentioned it.
I THINK it was in Argyle St. near the Heilan Man's Umbrella but I don't even know why I think that, except that it may be a very old memory from when my Mum was talking about getting stuff made to measure. GB rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 11th Sep 2006, 06:51am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
QUOTE (GG @ 11th Sep 2006, 01:27 AM)
Hi georgia, near Glasgow Cross there were quite a few tailors, the ones I can remember include:

> Caledonian Tailors

> City Cash Tailors

GG.

These were off the peg and at the most mibbe adjusted your suit after purchase.

Every other shop in Argyll Street was tailor's where one could be measured up, shown pattern books and material samples. Your details would be sent to their factory in the midlands and a suit would be made up. A month later you would go in for a fitting and some adjustments could be made then. Claude Alexanders, Burtons, Jacksons and several more of the big chains ran stores on this principle.

And then there were tailors usually up a close rather than in a shopfront who would measure, design snd stitch together a bespoke suit which would fit you like a glove. My son now wears the three piece suit I had fashioned many years ago. I wish i could but I ain't that skinny.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 11th Sep 2006, 06:58am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks everyone but these are not the one we're thinking of. We're sure it was a man's name....possibly Tom ?????? It had a big double shop frontgage , near the trongate. They also had a branch in Partick.We've ruled out John Collier (the window to watch), Jacksons, Willoughby's, Claude Alexander, Burtons.....whit in the name wiz it called? We're still scratchin ' oor heeds !!!!Sumbudy oot there' must know............PLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!!! unsure.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Allan D.Sim
post 11th Sep 2006, 11:08pm
Post #7

Super Resident
Member No.: 321
Right at the corner of Argyle Street/Stockwell Street opposite the Granite House, there was a Mann Byars. Whether they were in Partick, Im not sure. What they sold not sure either, but I think they may have been a clothing store. Hope this helps. You could check Virtual Mitchell and click Argyle Street or shops to see. The web addy is www.mitchelllibrary.org. I made a check on Mitchell myself. There was a Neuman's in Trongate.

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Sep 2006, 11:45pm
Post #8

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Okay, what about these:

> Willerbys
> Spencer
> Russell
> Alexandre
> McLeod
> Neumans
> McFarlane
> Fifty Shilling

Or the shop in the left of the attached image - name unknown!

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 11th Sep 2006, 11:54pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
a used to work for jb mc c auly also george hunters bespoke tailors and jb made suits for ladies and gentle men and george hunter made gents bespoke tailors a love every min of it as we had great laughs andon a friday tools went down and we all had a swally at threepm ans a was alwats pissed as a fart lol laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 12th Sep 2006, 01:08am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
There used to be a menswear shop in the Trongate called Connells. It was very trendy back in the fifties. I don't know if they made suits, but I had a sports jacket from there once, and some shirts. Some of you may remember it, there was always a nice perfumed smell in the shop. It was along from the Tron steeple and on the same side, near the City Bakeries. There was another branch in Union Street.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 12th Sep 2006, 06:27am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Sorry, none of these shops ring any bells. Their other shop was at Partick Cross....C'moan is ther' onybody oot ther' fae Pertick thit cin help?????

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 12th Sep 2006, 06:44am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Georgia as with another strand on this well visited board perhaps you are imaging it. Similarly you may have your basic facts wrong. Mind you as with your other strand you appear to have built a case on this one fact. It was a Tailor near Glasgow Cross. He may have been called Tom.

We're all getting older, forgetting ourselves, getting grumpier forgetting our mannners on occasion too. Getting heated up over something hich isn't really tht important.

So think carefully. What was on either side of the Tailor's , how did you get there, where was the bus stop, any other landmarks near to it. What was the nearest pub?

+Quote Post
Avril
post 12th Sep 2006, 07:41am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Oh Dexter, ah didnae go tae pub's in those days! Noo let me think......Around about 1967-69, the shop was on Argyle Street opposite the Candleriggs, a couple of shops down to the right (looking from the road) there was a toy shop, that mended dolls, (I remember my mammy taking me there with my broken doll when I was about 4 and telling me that my dolly had to into hospital for a wee while to get better)

We might have a breakthrough.....My husband thinks it may have been Edwards.....I still have a strong feeling that Tom featured in the name....maybe that was the name of the man who did the measuring Ha!Ha! Or maybe the one in Partick Cross and the one in Argyle were two differfent tailors altogether!!!!

Ah! well, one day when we're clearing out the loft I might come across the old HP payment book with their name on it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 12th Sep 2006, 07:07pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Georgia, the doll shop at the corner of King St. and Trongate was called "Jack's Doll Hospital". I worked for a few years at the opposite. corner

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Sep 2006, 07:22pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Oh George the doll's hospital what a lovely memory, I remember well my dolls getting brought back to health in there. It was always the eye getting put back in or an arm or leg getting sorted. Oh what a lovely lovely memory. Imagine that these days, how times have changed, I don't really like the thought of getting old but I'm glad I lived when I did.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.