Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parliamentary Road, Anybody remember this building ?...
Dave Grieve
post 4th Nov 2016, 08:49am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
The Parli road was the center of my world as a child. It was the place we did all our shopping. our barber Harry was on the corner of Parli and Dobbies Loan next door to the Marquis bar, my granda's favourite pub. At the next corner of North Wallace st sat Tonys fish and chips, across the street was the Grafton picture house. I would cross Parli road to get to school at St Mungos while our GP Dr Barclay occupied the round building at the corner of Parli and St James's road.
All gone! the last time I was there the only way I could reconstruct the area in my mind was when I realised I was standing next to one of the small walls that used to surround the SMT bus station on Dundas and Parli road
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
albageorgia
post 4th Nov 2016, 06:34pm
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 8,707
My back court was in between parly road,glebe street,Mc aslin street and martyr street, I remember getting a hudgie ( if that's how ye spell it) on the back of the BRS lorrys going up parly road,

+Quote Post
kentzo
post 5th Nov 2016, 09:15pm
Post #18

Special Visitor
Member No.: 3,984
QUOTE (albageorgia @ 4th Nov 2016, 06:34pm) *
My back court was in between parly road,glebe street,Mc aslin street and martyr street, I remember getting a hudgie ( if that's how ye spell it) on the back of the BRS lorrys going up parly road,

Fully loaded BRS lorries were great for hudgies – it was harder for the driver to see you and you could hang onto the ropes. My preferred location for hudgies was Castle St. You could catch a lift at the traffic lights near the Carlton and go all the way down the High St. to the fruit market. I remember lots of Scammels, but I don’t think they were suitable for hudgies.

If I remember right, Albageorgia, the back court where you lived was just one big communal back yard shared by all the surrounding tenements. Unfortunately all the railings that separated the individual back courts had been removed during WW2 as part of the war effort, removing the privacy of the individual closes - people could no longer take a pride in their close and back court as the kids would run riot in one close and out another. The loss of the railing boundaries in the tenement blocks probably played a large part in the run-down of the tenements.

+Quote Post
albageorgia
post 8th Nov 2016, 11:31pm
Post #19

Visitor
Member No.: 8,707
QUOTE (kentzo @ 5th Nov 2016, 09:15pm) *
Fully loaded BRS lorries were great for hudgies – it was harder for the driver to see you and you could hang onto the ropes. My preferred location for hudgies was Castle St. You could catch a lift at the traffic lights near the Carlton and go all the way down the High St. to the fruit market. I remember lots of Scammels, but I don’t think they were suitable for hudgies.

If I remember right, Albageorgia, the back court where you lived was just one big communal back yard shared by all the surrounding tenements. Unfortunately all the railings that separated the individual back courts had been removed during WW2 as part of the war effort, removing the privacy of the individual closes - people could no longer take a pride in their close and back court as the kids would run riot in one close and out another. The loss of the railing boundaries in the tenement blocks probably played a large part in the run-down of the tenements.

Kentzo, you are right about the back court, you could walk from one end to the other without climbing over railings, as we were on the ground floor our outside toilet got used by every man and his dog, thinking back it was a waste of time having a door on the toilet, lock was broke, door hanging of the hinge, and at this time of the year you had to wear a coat,

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.