Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parliamentary Road, Anybody remember this building ?...
Oor Wullie
post 27th Jun 2006, 08:00am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
This picture was taken [ I believe ] in 1963 and is described as a " Private House at 328 Parliamentary Road ".

Can anybody tell me where it was, in relation to [say] the Grafton Cinema, or Dundas St, or to any other landmark ?.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Allan D.Sim
post 29th Jun 2006, 05:51pm
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 321
As it is numbered 328, the house must have been closer to Dundas Street. If I remember correctly, Parliamentary Road was numbered from Castle Street towards West Nile Street/Sauchiehall Street. There was a pub around 418 Parliamentary Road at corner with Killermont Street. In the days before the heart was ripped out of the area, Killermont Street was continuation of Dundas street as it approached Parliamentary Road.Nowadays Killermont Street runs as continuance of Renfrew Street from West nile Street to North Hanover Street. At a rough guess, I would place the house close to the Dundas Street bus station, but opposite side of street. The Grafton Cinema would have been further up, at 243 Parliamentary Road. I found the address at a website called www.glasgowcinemas.co.uk/graftoncinemagla.html.

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 3rd Jul 2006, 04:32am
Post #3

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
Thanks Allan.

If this picture was, in fact, taken in 1963 I must have passed this building many, many times but I honestly have no recollection of it.

Doe anybody else remember it ?.

+Quote Post
Allan D.Sim
post 7th Jul 2006, 12:19am
Post #4

Super Resident
As very young boys, my brother and some friends ued to cut round to Parliamentary Road. There was a massive garden that contained rhubarb which was quickly disposed off into rhubarb jam by all the mothers. Whether this was the garden of the house in picture or the grounds of the former lunatic asylum, i'm unsure. I was 5 and a half when we left Cunningham Street, which was round corner from Parliamentary Road. We left Townhead in 1967.

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 7th Jul 2006, 01:59am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Here's another old and fuzzy picture of "Parley Road"

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Allan D.Sim
post 8th Nov 2006, 02:45am
Post #6

Super Resident
Doing further research on Parliamentary Road for someone else, I found that according to the Post Office directory of 1959, four names were listed as living at 328. I found a picture on virtual mitchell which may explain why you missed the house as walking past. As you can see from view, number 328 was situated in the grounds of Glasgow Lunatic Asylum. Picture taken c.1900, the Asylum was demolished in 1908

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 8th Nov 2006, 08:39am
Post #7

Thanks to allan for another great picture.

+Quote Post
klingon
post 4th Sep 2009, 12:48am
Post #8

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (Allan D.Sim @ 29th Jun 2006, 07:08pm) *
As it is numbered 328, the house must have been closer to Dundas Street. If I remember correctly, Parliamentary Road was numbered from Castle Street towards West Nile Street/Sauchiehall Street. There was a pub around 418 Parliamentary Road at corner with Killermont Street. In the days before the heart was ripped out of the area, Killermont Street was continuation of Dundas street as it approached Parliamentary Road.Nowadays Killermont Street runs as continuance of Renfrew Street from West nile Street to North Hanover Street. At a rough guess, I would place the house close to the Dundas Street bus station, but opposite side of street. The Grafton Cinema would have been further up, at 243 Parliamentary Road. I found the address at a website called www.glasgowcinemas.co.uk/graftoncinemagla.html.

328 was as far as I remember between Dobbies Loan and Killermont st-roughly near the old Railway stables-was behind a fairly high wall so not readily seen from the road although there was a green wooden gate entrance on Parliamentary rd.

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
*Deborah*
post 22nd Sep 2009, 12:34am
Post #9

Hi, I am starting my studies on Social sciences in October and have chosen Parliamentary Road in Glasgow for my first assignment as my Mom was born in the tenniments in the fourties.
I would just like to say thank you for the information and the beautiful pictures as I have to write about the making and remaking off a city road over time.
If anyone would be interested in sharing their views and even just how they feel about the change that has happened over the many years I would love to hear from you, good or bad.
Once again thank you for the information and wonderful pictures.
Regards

Debbie
tink1@sky.com

+Quote Post
**ANN**
post 5th Jul 2012, 11:45pm
Post #10

QUOTE (Oor Wullie @ 3rd Jul 2006, 05:47am) *
Thanks Allan.

If this picture was, in fact, taken in 1963 I must have passed this building many, many times but I honestly have no recollection of it.

Doe anybody else remember it ?.

Hi, I lived at 196 parliamentary road and I do not remember that house, like you I must have passed it many times and dont remember, I got married from there in 1966, happy memories.

+Quote Post
*Denis Barrett*
post 31st Dec 2013, 06:38pm
Post #11

QUOTE (Allan D.Sim @ 29th Jun 2006, 06:08pm) *

+Quote Post
*Denis Barrett*
post 31st Dec 2013, 06:39pm
Post #12

QUOTE (Oor Wullie @ 27th Jun 2006, 08:17am) *
This picture was taken [ I believe ] in 1963 and is described as a " Private House at 328 Parliamentary Road ".

Can anybody tell me where it was, in relation to [say] the Grafton Cinema, or Dundas St, or to any other landmark ?.

+Quote Post
*Ian Gibson*
post 30th Oct 2016, 12:53pm
Post #13

If my memory serves me right my Grandparents lived in that house. It came with his job with the Caledonian Railway and was situated near Buchanan Street Railway Station.

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 30th Oct 2016, 02:34pm
Post #14

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
Parliamentary Road was the place where adventures began for me as a child, as we would get a taxi to Dundas Street bus station from Maryhill. The Parly Rd, was changing dramatically in the late 60's and 70's but it is where we got out to get the bus to England.

Heading along the road to that bus station meant holidays with beloved family members. Sitting in the bus station the vending machines would magically dispense Bar Six or some Cadbury's chocolate (when it was chocolate) and the cigarette vending machines were always going like a fair. Of course, little did I realise that you had to put money into the machine for the Bar Six, as my mother had already slipped in the few pre-decimal coins to silence me for 5 minutes at least.

As to the final demise of Parliamentary Road, I personally think it is criminal that not one part of it still remains with the name as it was an institution in Glasgow for generations and of historic importance too.

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

+Quote Post
carmella
post 3rd Nov 2016, 11:46pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I remember being in the car on numerous occasions with my Mum and Dad - Dad driving, we left Ayr to visit my auntie in Glasgow, and we always took the Parliamentary Road. If I shut my eyes I can still see it.

I did not know, however, that it's gone. If I hadn't read your post Thomas I'd never have guessed.
Shame none of it exists.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.