Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Street in Townhead, What was the name?
Rating 5 V
johnkerr52
post 12th Nov 2016, 12:51pm
Post #91

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,082
QUOTE (*Pat Doyle* @ 23rd Aug 2010, 10:01am) *
Collins St.which housed the baths and the wash-house.But i must say you`r going back some years
Cheers pat

hi pat the streets name your looking for was PAUL STREET i stayed in 68 rottenrow just round the corner from garden st.weaver st. regards MR JOHN KERR
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
johnkerr52
post 15th Nov 2016, 04:45pm
Post #92

Unpacking
QUOTE (Wee May @ 26th Dec 2008, 09:04pm) *
I'm posting this on behalf of my mum. Does anyone remember Garden Street in Townhead? She was born there in 1947 and lived there for several years. It never seems to be mentioned anywhere. She remembers that there was only 5 closes on Garden Street, 3 on one side, two on the other. The neighbouring Streets were Weaver St, Paul St and Taylor St. I would appreciate any information.

+Quote Post
johnkerr52
post 15th Nov 2016, 04:49pm
Post #93

Unpacking
hi may my names john kerr i stayed on the rottenrow at no.68 and our back courts faced opposite garden street so i know it well we used to play there as kids it was between taylor street and weaver street hope this helps, i have many fond memories of townhead so sad its all away now -regards john kerr

+Quote Post
*John Quinn*
post 20th Nov 2016, 10:15am
Post #94

I used to live in 73 Alexandria Prade next to Carrie Rose Fruit shop and the option I stayed 2 up right.

+Quote Post
nbjb50
post 23rd Nov 2016, 05:33am
Post #95

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,075
The street that ran parallel to Stanhope street was St Mungo street

It ran from Parly road to Stirling road

The last street on the left off parson street before Castle street was Martyr street

Norrie

+Quote Post
bamp
post 16th Dec 2016, 05:16pm
Post #96

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,532
QUOTE (cathy52 @ 7th Apr 2013, 08:00pm) *
i am trying to find any info on a james kelly-patricia kelly who stayed at 135 parson street in 1956. they were witnesses to my aunts wedding. sad.gif

I cannot recall them and I lived there from about 1951 to 1959. I was born 1948 What floor were they on? There was only one house on the ground floor I was on top floor with the Kilpatricks and another family I think was the Reids. On the way up I passed the Knoxes, McCambridges, Crowleys.
I am John Scott

+Quote Post
bamp
post 16th Dec 2016, 05:35pm
Post #97

Unpacking
QUOTE (peachey @ 19th Jun 2009, 01:26am) *
god tae talk about townhead and all the great memories of the 60s-70s would take pages but being young then and running around from the bottom of high st to the canals would be unheard of nowadays?? but that wiz ne and na mates what a life..this forum brings it all back yet every day i have a good memory of my youth from being born in the rottonrow in 1964 being brought up facing into the back of the swingpark behind townheid swimming just of cathedral street were ma dad
alex peachey had a sweetie and news agents shop next to mossmans monumental sculptures..
he worked hard in his wee shop opening at 5 in the morning just for the rolls for the nurses and ambulance men fae the royal and the rottonrow.he gave up the shop around 1980 due to the demolition to make way for a new clydsdale bank ..yep memories of living at parson street near the flats im sure our block was the last to get demolished just at the back of collinses building next to were i went to school at st davids primary however being the youngest in the family the rest of my brothers and sisters went to city public allan glens and some other school i cant remember?
the shiney tar road near st mungos chapel and the cafe across from the royal,black street swings at 5 year old i knew the clinic was for the dodjy spots between yer legs lol..
playing on a tarzy fae the tree under the bridge that goes over to the nacropolise grave yard..
playing in manky water in the flooded back greenies or back courts to some people..makin dens oot of the solid wooden doors oot of the empty buildings that would now be worth a fortune if ye saved them up for the listed buildings,,oh and lets not forget playin in the midgie bins..does anyone remember ma dads shop ? askin for the penny or hapenny tray and pickin sweeties fae them or gettin one of his home made jubillies fae orange juice in a plastic cup with two looly sticks in it ,,what a seller after the swimmin in the summer..ma dad was well known for givin oot tick ,that being exchange of goods on credit in good faith usualy fags tobacco juce rolls papars sometimes even money which in later life i found out he never realy had money in all the time he ran the shop for 20 years..i have many more memories and answers to townhead area in which to me was the best place in the world to have been brought up in..

Hi peachey I was born in 1948 I lived in 135 Parson St, used your dads shop often on the way home from swimming baths. Played in the salt wastes and swing park at black st happy days

+Quote Post
*maggie welsh*
post 7th Jan 2017, 04:07pm
Post #98

QUOTE (Oor Wullie @ 21st Jun 2006, 02:38am) *
I would also like to know the name of the street that was last on the left off Parson Street, before Castle Street [ Beside St. Mungo's]

+Quote Post
bamp
post 7th Feb 2017, 06:09pm
Post #99

Unpacking
QUOTE (charles gillan @ 21st Jul 2010, 03:44pm) *
hi john i lived at 37 stanhope st at parson st am sure it was called lymburns pub in the 1950s used to get my dad out it so we could get our pie suppers on a friday night nice to find someone so close to where i lived my name is charlie gillan

Hi Charlie your not the first to mention lymburns pub so it must have been that at some time. My dad was a regular from about 1951 to 1960. I was aged 3 - 12 but I mind it was run by Ownie presumably Owen at that time. Nice to talk about this area with another local.
John

+Quote Post
*Tam James*
post 29th Apr 2017, 06:43pm
Post #100

Hi Just reading all the stories about the Townhead or Toonheid as we referred to it I was born in Tam James, 27 Ronald Street, I had three brothers Billy, Walter and Wallace, three sisters Molly, Betty and Sandra. I went to St David's School then Kennedy Street, I run about with Ronnie Patrick my bessy mate then there was the Sideserfs, Fadyen's and the Marrs. Does anybody remember Scabby Bens the chip shop, we used to go roon the doors collecting newspapers for him so we'd get a bag of chips for nothing.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.