Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Street in Townhead, What was the name?
Rating 5 V
27stowst
post 16th Jul 2009, 12:53am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
How very sexist Patsy. Ah'm surprised, shocked and stunned!! Wiz it no' mebbe the guys who used the services of the ladies of the night who spread the STD's?? Aw they hud tae dae wiz go tae the barber's and answer aye tae the question "Something for the week-end sir?" It was unseemly for ladies, even ladies of the night, tae be seen buying french letters! rolleyes.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Slainte Mhor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Jul 2009, 01:48am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I remember taking a gf to Black Street when I came home on a weekend from the RAF. She had got a letter from a mutual friend, (a submariner, who had returned to Singapore after HIS leave) telling her he had a STD.
She thought I must have passed it to her, who passed it to him !
I waited outside by the taxi while she went in.
"Are you no' gonny git checked oot tae?" she asked.
When she came out she was beaming from ear to ear. " I'm clean".
" Good. And I'm off. Here's a couple of bob for your bus," then I took the taxi up to the train station and headed back to base.
She hadn't understood that the guy was telling her after he'd had his fun.
I always remembered Billy Connelly after that one. wacko.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
klingon
post 16th Jul 2009, 04:24pm
Post #33

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 2nd Jul 2009, 07:29pm) *
Jings, wit a nice wee thread, dunno how I missed this wan for all this time! Some wee hidden gems around.!

So, so, so close to hame all this is, my G/Grandparents, lived in Parson St (92), around 1900's. No shure which pub was the nearest, but I'll find oot. Might have been The Broons Bar!

Peachy, I remember yer Da's shop very well, used to nip it to on the way back frea the baths in Collins St!. Remember The Red Rooster at end of Cathedral St, used to do rare chips in there. I loved aw the wee shops and cafes around the place, was so full of life them. Weans oot playing at all hours without a care in the world. Changed days, an some changes are noo fur the better either.

Mossman is no there noo, but it has moved to a wee place in High St, it in a shop which was I tink was Clyde Books.

Garden St, like most of Auld Toonhied was lost in 60's / 70's, I think it was up right hand side of Weaver St, which still had working gas lights in very early 70's! There was a wee swing park and I think it was just up past it. Prolly under Strathclyde Uni noo. Think it ran between Weaver st and Taylor St up the tap near Rottonrow. I think I might have a 60's pic of that area, I will ferret aroond and see if I can find it.

I could ramble aon fur hours!

Mebbe Gillilands bar in Parly road was closer-the Broons wiz at 10 Glebe st-(hence the name) a bit further up-ma gran worked in Gillilands efter her day job-a beer taster in the Scottish Caledonian brewery!-funny she wiz always grinnin from ear to ear-wunner why?

Gezzus, as for the tarrzy near the Bridge of Sigh, in Wishart St, what a backdrop! Spent hoors on that wi all my pals. Dunno if tree is still there, think it fell doon.

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
patsy113
post 16th Jul 2009, 10:09pm
Post #34

Visitor
Member No.: 6,053
Yes Tennscot I remember Morrin Sq. It was near the townhead baths, do you remember the boiler house at the back of the baths my brother George was engaged to a girl who lived there. In one of
the posts earlier I noticed a street name Paul st I can`t remember this street correct me if I`m wrong I will get in touch with relations an Aunt in Taylor st a cousin Pat Kirwan and family in Gardiner st. The Cross Keys Pub was on Rotten Rd. before you turned into GardenSt.
I`ll get back to you soon I just love talking about Townhead keep coming with more info God Bless To All of you no matter where you are I`m in Donegal Ireland Pat Doyle

+Quote Post
patsy113
post 17th Jul 2009, 09:13pm
Post #35

Visitor
Yes Tennscot found the name of my brothers ex Fiance Reene Mc Gloughlin from Morrin Sq. hope u remember this young lady as she was then, she was natural blonde about 5 feet in hieght and very well endowed cheers Pat Doyle.

+Quote Post
patsy113
post 17th Jul 2009, 10:12pm
Post #36

Visitor
Yes 27 stow st
You are correct the poor young ladies of the night they where not aware of what little surprises they picked up along the way. In my post I said I would tell u some tales of Townhead in the 40s. 50s. and 60s.
Do u remember the corner of Cathedral St. and Grafton St. there used to be a Billett there for American Seamen From when the yanks entered the war in 1942/43 until the mid 50s they were based in Dunoon which could cater for their aircraft carriers. Now along with the S.T.D. problems thease guys left behind them little bundles of joy also they were in all colors, and
I grew up with them also went to school with them. U see the yank would promise all the women
oh yes they would take them back the States to a life of a lovely house and riches and they would want for nothing. I know of two familys in Townhead who went to school with me from start to finish they hoped the American father would arrive back to spirit them to the states u know the rest. IE the next chapter will cover the era of the Merchant seaman of that time. Ps. the poor kids it wasn`t their fault what happened. Good Night And God Bless. Patsy

+Quote Post
*Jill C*
post 6th Nov 2009, 12:58pm
Post #37

QUOTE (sumac @ 26th Nov 2006, 08:16pm) *
Oor Wullie, the street was, indeed, Martyrs Street. My gran lived at no. 3, two up, and my dad's parents lived about no. 19(?).

My family lived just round the corner from them at no. 40 Parson Street, and we shared the same backcourt with my gran.

On the corner of the two streets was a shop called Carruth's Grotto which sold all things Catholic, due to the very close proximity to St. Mungo's Church and Academy, as well as the Priests' House (Seminary?).

We are currently trying to research our family tree, I see that your dad's parents' lived at number 19 Martyr Street Glasgow as our grand parents did in the 1920's-30's? and our dad was born. Their names were Thomas and Helen Hamilton (nee Joynes) and had five children. If you can give me any information about them or any surviving relatives you may be aware of we would be very grate ful Many thanks.

My email address is jilliancole@googlemail.com

+Quote Post
*thomas.gallagher12*
post 30th Jan 2010, 09:47pm
Post #38

Hi I was born in Glebe St no 44 across from St Mungos Primary it had a large water tank in the playyard in case any Bombs did any damage There was a chemist on the corner of Parson St across on the opposite coner wasCappuccini Chip shop then Blacks paper shop then Jonnie Blairs then the Butchers and a pub on the corner this would be Mc Auslin St.

+Quote Post
jandyjaws
post 19th Mar 2010, 10:54am
Post #39

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,277
QUOTE (dave @ 17th Nov 2008, 12:20am) *
anybody remember baird st before the motorway got constructed.black st playpark, taxi garage,the polis canteen ,that clinic?, gleebe st , we lived at 9 baird st[attachment=13133:baird_st_1962.jpg]

hi dave, came across this photo.wow ,what memories.i lived in couper street at the other end of baird st. before you came to dobbies loan. my auntie mary owned mcmillans dairy ,the wee shop at the corner of couper st. and kennedy st.. i used to " go " wi a lassie just where the woman wi the bairn is in your photo.her name was irene massey. she was also my sisters friend. my mate stayed round the corner in black st.. jim mcpherson.

+Quote Post
jandyjaws
post 19th Mar 2010, 11:17am
Post #40

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,277
QUOTE (peachey @ 19th Jun 2009, 01:43am) *
god tae talk about townhead and all the great memories of the 60s-70s would take pages but being young then and running around from the bottom of high st to the canals would be unheard of nowadays?? but that wiz ne and na mates what a life..this forum brings it all back yet every day i have a good memory of my youth from being born in the rottonrow in 1964 being brought up facing into the back of the swingpark behind townheid swimming just of cathedral street were ma dad
alex peachey had a sweetie and news agents shop next to mossmans monumental sculptures..
he worked hard in his wee shop opening at 5 in the morning just for the rolls for the nurses and ambulance men fae the royal and the rottonrow.he gave up the shop around 1980 due to the demolition to make way for a new clydsdale bank ..yep memories of living at parson street near the flats im sure our block was the last to get demolished just at the back of collinses building next to were i went to school at st davids primary however being the youngest in the family the rest of my brothers and sisters went to city public allan glens and some other school i cant remember?
the shiney tar road near st mungos chapel and the cafe across from the royal,black street swings at 5 year old i knew the clinic was for the dodjy spots between yer legs lol..
playing on a tarzy fae the tree under the bridge that goes over to the nacropolise grave yard..
playing in manky water in the flooded back greenies or back courts to some people..makin dens oot of the solid wooden doors oot of the empty buildings that would now be worth a fortune if ye saved them up for the listed buildings,,oh and lets not forget playin in the midgie bins..does anyone remember ma dads shop ? askin for the penny or hapenny tray and pickin sweeties fae them or gettin one of his home made jubillies fae orange juice in a plastic cup with two looly sticks in it ,,what a seller after the swimmin in the summer..ma dad was well known for givin oot tick ,that being exchange of goods on credit in good faith usualy fags tobacco juce rolls papars sometimes even money which in later life i found out he never realy had money in all the time he ran the shop for 20 years..i have many more memories and answers to townhead area in which to me was the best place in the world to have been brought up in..

hi peachey, some geat memories there. i went to city public wi your brother alex..also remember henry.infact if you look at photos of city public on friends reunited on my profile i put a class photo in and alex is there. was in your house many times but cant remember you,although you were 9 years younger than alex and i.can still see him playing guitar at the school chritsmas dance with his band.i lived in couper st. which was next to dobbies loan and off kennedy st. my auntie mary owned the mcmillans dairy at the corner of kennedy st. and couper st.. those were the days stuart mcmillan

+Quote Post
*john scott*
post 25th Apr 2010, 10:41pm
Post #41

I lived at 135 parson st the pub at the corner of parson st & stanhope st was the parsons rest> I think it would be the closest to the 90,s

+Quote Post
292 kennedystree...
post 8th May 2010, 09:49pm
Post #42

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,496
[size="6"][/size] I can remember the playpark also the taxi garage trying to think what it was called before patons took it over I stayed in 292 kennedy street next close to the mcmillans what about the lister street bowling green.

+Quote Post
**charles gillan**
post 13th Jul 2010, 03:41pm
Post #43

QUOTE (john scott @ 25th Apr 2010, 11:58pm) *
I lived at 135 parson st the pub at the corner of parson st & stanhope st was the parsons rest> I think it would be the closest to the 90,s

the pub at parson st stanhope st was called lyburns bar i lived in stanhope st across from bradburns stable long time ago charlie gillan

+Quote Post
albageorgia
post 18th Jul 2010, 02:00pm
Post #44

Visitor
Member No.: 8,707
I lived in glebe about 1963/4 street right across from fanny blairs paper shop, ah think it was number 86, just along from my close you had a barber shop, it had one of them red and white stripe poles above the shop, then there was a bookies on the corner of glebe street and macaslin street, ah kin remember looking in the bookies and seeing tony m marking the board, me and my pals used to play waw ay, [thats how it was pronounced] against st mungos chapel, there was an arch in the wall and it is still there today, i went to st davids, then the city public, we used to go to the red rooster for oor pie chips and peas some dinner times, i was in the BBs 23rd brigade, there used to be an old guy who would sing in the back courts on a sunday afternoon and some people would throw money out of their window , I think there might have been a pawn shop in the corner close of macaslin street, ther was a doctors in glebe street as well just up from the broons pub, when you went in to the doctors you had to say who,s last so as you would know when you were going to see the doctor, when the townhead was gettin demolished ah moved to the ranza,

+Quote Post
charles gillan
post 21st Jul 2010, 03:44pm
Post #45

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,694
QUOTE (john scott @ 25th Apr 2010, 11:51pm) *

hi john i lived at 37 stanhope st at parson st am sure it was called lymburns pub in the 1950s used to get my dad out it so we could get our pie suppers on a friday night nice to find someone so close to where i lived my name is charlie gillan

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.