Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Street in Townhead, What was the name?
Rating 5 V
weelew
post 24th Nov 2008, 10:15pm
Post #16

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
QUOTE (dave @ 24th Nov 2008, 08:58pm) *
im new to this site , its nice to chat to someone fae the toonheid ..lol

Where in the Townhead do you come from Dave.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wee May
post 26th Dec 2008, 09:04pm
Post #17

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,334
I'm posting this on behalf of my mum. Does anyone remember Garden Street in Townhead? She was born there in 1947 and lived there for several years. It never seems to be mentioned anywhere. She remembers that there was only 5 closes on Garden Street, 3 on one side, two on the other. The neighbouring Streets were Weaver St, Paul St and Taylor St. I would appreciate any information.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 27th Dec 2008, 01:29am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
May, husband was born and raised in Townhead and can't remember a street called Garden Street. He does remember the other streets you mentioned.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
kmacc
post 27th Dec 2008, 01:33pm
Post #19

Resident
Member No.: 185

garden st is/was a short street between paul and weaver sts theyre off rottenrow

+Quote Post
Wee-Sprokit
post 26th Feb 2009, 08:00pm
Post #20

Settling In
Member No.: 6,487
QUOTE (sumac @ 26th Nov 2006, 09:05pm) *
Oor Wullie, the street was, indeed, Martyrs Street. My gran lived at no. 3, two up, and my dad's parents lived about no. 19(?).

My family lived just round the corner from them at no. 40 Parson Street, and we shared the same backcourt with my gran.

On the corner of the two streets was a shop called Carruth's Grotto which sold all things Catholic, due to the very close proximity to St. Mungo's Church and Academy, as well as the Priests' House (Seminary?).

My Granny lived in Martyrs St many years ago, cant remember the number though? her name was Mcleish!!!

+Quote Post
klingon
post 25th Mar 2009, 03:26am
Post #21

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (dave @ 17th Nov 2008, 12:50am) *
anybody remember baird st before the motorway got constructed.black st playpark, taxi garage,the polis canteen ,that clinic?, gleebe st , we lived at 9 baird st

I remember those big sheds on the other side of the road there being a sort of joinery factory making packing cases etc-the canal was right behind them and just out of view is the wee opening bridge to the coal rees and the Pinkston railway sidings-we used to play on the steam cranes left there overnight!-if ye put some more coal in the firebox sometimes the crane would raise steam and run back and forward with wee boys in control!

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
dave
post 29th Mar 2009, 01:11am
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,225
QUOTE (weelew @ 24th Nov 2008, 10:02pm) *
Where in the Townhead do you come from Dave.

i lived in 9 baird st , right across from the sawmills .

+Quote Post
*peachey*
post 19th Jun 2009, 01:26am
Post #23

god tae talk about townhead and all the great memories of the 60s-70s would take pages but being young then and running around from the bottom of high st to the canals would be unheard of nowadays?? but that wiz ne and na mates what a life..this forum brings it all back yet every day i have a good memory of my youth from being born in the rottonrow in 1964 being brought up facing into the back of the swingpark behind townheid swimming just of cathedral street were ma dad
alex peachey had a sweetie and news agents shop next to mossmans monumental sculptures..
he worked hard in his wee shop opening at 5 in the morning just for the rolls for the nurses and ambulance men fae the royal and the rottonrow.he gave up the shop around 1980 due to the demolition to make way for a new clydsdale bank ..yep memories of living at parson street near the flats im sure our block was the last to get demolished just at the back of collinses building next to were i went to school at st davids primary however being the youngest in the family the rest of my brothers and sisters went to city public allan glens and some other school i cant remember?
the shiney tar road near st mungos chapel and the cafe across from the royal,black street swings at 5 year old i knew the clinic was for the dodjy spots between yer legs lol..
playing on a tarzy fae the tree under the bridge that goes over to the nacropolise grave yard..
playing in manky water in the flooded back greenies or back courts to some people..makin dens oot of the solid wooden doors oot of the empty buildings that would now be worth a fortune if ye saved them up for the listed buildings,,oh and lets not forget playin in the midgie bins..does anyone remember ma dads shop ? askin for the penny or hapenny tray and pickin sweeties fae them or gettin one of his home made jubillies fae orange juice in a plastic cup with two looly sticks in it ,,what a seller after the swimmin in the summer..ma dad was well known for givin oot tick ,that being exchange of goods on credit in good faith usualy fags tobacco juce rolls papars sometimes even money which in later life i found out he never realy had money in all the time he ran the shop for 20 years..i have many more memories and answers to townhead area in which to me was the best place in the world to have been brought up in..

+Quote Post
*peachey*
post 19th Jun 2009, 01:33am
Post #24

QUOTE (Wee May @ 26th Dec 2008, 09:21pm) *
I'm posting this on behalf of my mum. Does anyone remember Garden Street in Townhead? She was born there in 1947 and lived there for several years. It never seems to be mentioned anywhere. She remembers that there was only 5 closes on Garden Street, 3 on one side, two on the other. The neighbouring Streets were Weaver St, Paul St and Taylor St. I would appreciate any information.

did the street have a big empty metal type factory /garage that you could sneek into and play it was at the top of the swing park that had the big green hut that hosted the auld guys club??the swings were good for bronkowing,flicking the swing over your head to see if u could rap itr over the bar you must all remember doing that and runny unders ???comon you do remember doin stupid things like that.....???

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 2nd Jul 2009, 06:35pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Jings, wit a nice wee thread, dunno how I missed this wan for all this time! Some wee hidden gems around.!

So, so, so close to hame all this is, my G/Grandparents, lived in Parson St (92), around 1900's. No shure which pub was the nearest, but I'll find oot. Might have been The Broons Bar!

Peachy, I remember yer Da's shop very well, used to nip it to on the way back frea the baths in Collins St!. Remember The Red Rooster at end of Cathedral St, used to do rare chips in there. I loved aw the wee shops and cafes around the place, was so full of life them. Weans oot playing at all hours without a care in the world. Changed days, an some changes are noo fur the better either.

Mossman is no there noo, but it has moved to a wee place in High St, it in a shop which was I tink was Clyde Books.

Garden St, like most of Auld Toonhied was lost in 60's / 70's, I think it was up right hand side of Weaver St, which still had working gas lights in very early 70's! There was a wee swing park and I think it was just up past it. Prolly under Strathclyde Uni noo. Think it ran between Weaver st and Taylor St up the tap near Rottonrow. I think I might have a 60's pic of that area, I will ferret aroond and see if I can find it.

I could ramble aon fur hours!

Gezzus, as for the tarrzy near the Bridge of Sigh, in Wishart St, what a backdrop! Spent hoors on that wi all my pals. Dunno if tree is still there, think it fell doon.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 4th Jul 2009, 07:45pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
Here`s one Does anyone remember Morrin Sq. I know but do you.????

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 4th Jul 2009, 08:42pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
I had a pal, Jean Taylor, who's Granny stayed there.

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
patsy113
post 11th Jul 2009, 12:40am
Post #28

Visitor
Member No.: 6,053
oor wullie it was St mungo`s st. the back gate to St Mungo`s came out on to it
good luck Patsy

+Quote Post
patsy113
post 15th Jul 2009, 09:36pm
Post #29

Visitor
Member No.: 6,053
The clinic was for S.T.D. Problems caused by the ladies of the night who plied their trade around the red light district in St Vincent St. and Blythwood Sq. IE. the coffee stalls in 1940s thru the 50s and 60s I could tell you all some stories from that era after the great war 39/45. Ilived in Montrose St. 1940 till 1964 and I`m now 70 years of age.

+Quote Post
weelew
post 15th Jul 2009, 10:55pm
Post #30

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
As Billy Connelly once said {honest im a joiner and i work here} rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.