Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Street in Townhead, What was the name?
Rating 5 V
Oor Wullie
post 20th Jun 2006, 09:39am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
Can anybody remember the name of the street in Townhead that ran across Parson Street, parallel to Stanhope Street and before you came to Glebe Street?.

The 1894 map shows the street but doesn't name it.

It might have been St. Mungo Street but I'm not sure.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 21st Jun 2006, 02:38am
Post #2

City Key Holder
I would also like to know the name of the street that was last on the left off Parson Street, before Castle Street [ Beside St. Mungo's]

+Quote Post
Allan D.Sim
post 25th Jun 2006, 03:18am
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 321
Some street names were altered in 1922. Holmhead Street was renamed Cunningham Street. I'm thinking along lines of Weaver Street, Taylor Street being in vicinity, but mabe I'm too far off the Glebe Street portion you mean. It's been years since I visited that part of Townhead I'm ashamed to say. I'll search on.

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 25th Jun 2006, 04:58am
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
Oor Wullie I know exactly the streets you are talking about, but for the life of me I can''t remember their names. I use to cross over the one that ran parallel with Stanhope St everyday to get to school.
We lived right next door to St Mungo's boy's school and we use to play in the spare ground in this street also.
I also use to go to a shop in the other street for my granny to get her stockings.
I will ask my mother and see if she can remember the names of these streets.

+Quote Post
Allan D.Sim
post 25th Jun 2006, 06:18pm
Post #5

Super Resident
Member No.: 321
You may be correct at the road name. According to an online map which I seen today, it was St Mungo's Street. I was not far away with Taylor/Weaver Street vicinity! They are just south of this. Just wondering, does Bartholomew have online maps? I have some where in my room an earlier Glasgow map and the Kingston Bridge is "under construction". Regarding a further search either online or tying Mitchell Library or visiting area, I cannot be sure of other street name. The link to old map i looked at is: http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/townp...w_2_centre.html . Hope this assists.

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 26th Jun 2006, 12:18am
Post #6

City Key Holder
Allan,

I'm sure now that it was St. Mungo's Street and I'm almost sure that the last street on the left off Parson's Street [before Castle Street] was Martyr's Street.

Your map was interesting since it seems to pre - date Stanhope Street [ where I was born and grew up] which appears on the 1894 map.

Thanks for your help.

+Quote Post
kentzo
post 13th Nov 2006, 02:48am
Post #7

Special Visitor
Member No.: 3,984
I think the name of the street is Martyr Street as referenced in the following link - http://www.roystonroadproject.org/archive/...gad_royston.htm

+Quote Post
sumac
post 26th Nov 2006, 08:18pm
Post #8

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
Oor Wullie, the street was, indeed, Martyrs Street. My gran lived at no. 3, two up, and my dad's parents lived about no. 19(?).

My family lived just round the corner from them at no. 40 Parson Street, and we shared the same backcourt with my gran.

On the corner of the two streets was a shop called Carruth's Grotto which sold all things Catholic, due to the very close proximity to St. Mungo's Church and Academy, as well as the Priests' House (Seminary?).

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
jane b
post 15th Apr 2008, 01:06am
Post #9

Settling In
Member No.: 3,570
Oor Wullie,
I'm not sure if you ever cleared this up but just came across this posting - I have a map of Glasgow from the 1960s and there's no doubt that the street you refer to is St. Mungo.

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 15th Apr 2008, 04:09am
Post #10

City Key Holder
I did clear it up, but many thanks to jane b all the same.

I can't believe I forgot the name of this street considering how many tmes I played in it but, on the other hand, it wasn't yesterday rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest mags **
post 21st Jun 2008, 05:12pm
Post #11

the street between stanhope st. & glebe st. was St Mungo St

The other street you asked for was Martyr St

+Quote Post
MissT
post 28th Aug 2008, 10:24am
Post #12

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,318
I lived on Roystonhill with my parents and 4 siblings.. My mother died and we were shipped off to Quariers Homes in Bridge of Weir.. I attended St Rollox school for a couple of years.. Not many memories from that time.. I am now in Australia and have a great life. a lovely hubby and 5 kids from 18 to 31..

+Quote Post
dave
post 17th Nov 2008, 12:03am
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,225
anybody remember baird st before the motorway got constructed.black st playpark, taxi garage,the polis canteen ,that clinic?, gleebe st , we lived at 9 baird st
Attached Image

+Quote Post
weelew
post 18th Nov 2008, 04:46pm
Post #14

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
I remember playing in the the swing park and remember hearing about that clinic you mention.

+Quote Post
dave
post 24th Nov 2008, 08:50pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,225
QUOTE (weelew @ 18th Nov 2008, 04:54pm) *
I remember playing in the the swing park and remember hearing about that clinic you mention.

im new to this site , its nice to chat to someone fae the toonheid ..lol

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.