Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parliamentary Road & Dundas St Bus Station, Please settle this once and for all...
Thomas
post 30th Mar 2006, 11:36am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
As a child I vividly recall going to get the bus from Dundas Street Bus Station. I think it was near or on the site of the now Glasgow Royal Concert Hall.

I recall there were Green buses and Red Buses and I can't remember which one we used for Garthamlock or Easterhouse. Something makes me think it was green - I'm sure someone will give me the right information.

I also recall getting the bus to go to 'England' from here, I think it was Western Scottish or Bluebird - I know it changed from time to time with various changeovers.

I seem to recall it being a large, old fashioned building (round?) but I do vividly recall the fumes of the old buses and more essentially the vending machines, which dispensed Bar Six along with other Cadbury products.

Does anyone have a picture of Parliamentary Road and the Bus Station? Does anyone have an old map of the area? I would love to check this out and make sure my childhood memories are not playing me tricks!

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cooper
post 30th Mar 2006, 11:51am
Post #2

Resident
Member No.: 2,072
thomas log onto virtual mitchell library go into street search look for dundas st you will get pictures of the old bus station there,cheers ,cooper

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 30th Mar 2006, 12:36pm
Post #3

City Key Holder
I have been in Street search of the Virtual Mitchell and went into Dundas St - there are no pictures of the Bus Station to be seen. Just Queen St Station and I also tried Dundas Place but again no bus station! sad.gif

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

+Quote Post
GG
post 30th Mar 2006, 12:57pm
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi thomas, I too remember the bus station at the top of Dundas Street and I once viewed some great photographs of it in the 60s and 70s - I'm not sure whether they were on the web or in a book, but I will have a look and see what I can com up with.

In the meantime here's a great photographof the general area from 1970; if you look closely at the top right you will see the bus station and its environs.

More soon hopefully...

GG.

University of Strathclyde.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 30th Mar 2006, 01:19pm
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Here's a great one in colour.

https://eamonnsphotos.smugmug.com/Operators...yde/i-DkzLGmf/A

P.S. I'm thinking about the red or green question!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 30th Mar 2006, 01:34pm
Post #6

City Key Holder
Thanks!

Gosh, did you see that blue bus - I always recall them running up Maryhill Road and couldn't let anyone off until they got to the stop at The Elephant & Bugle and you couldn't get on until that stop either! Something to do with deregulation or something like that!? There was Alexander's at Bearsden & Milngavie, just in front of the Allander Sports Centre where they would go into.

Back to the red, green question - I think red served Airdrie (Central) as I recall reading on here something to do with the alamagation of bus services, when they became Central, Kelvin, Western Scottish retrospectively.

I have a feeling it was the green bus to Garthamlock, don't know why but I always recall my father taking us on this long trip and the motorway was still being built so it was all country roads and rhubarb fields!

I clearly recall as a toddler being 'upstairs on this smokey bus, and driving it.' Jings am I getting old or what?

C'moan folks gies the answer, red or green?

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

+Quote Post
*JFerrie*
post 10th Apr 2006, 09:04pm
Post #7

The buses to Garthamlock were Blue (1A, 1B, 1C & 1D) from the Dundas Street bus station. There was a green Easterhouse bus that went through Garthamlock - the 211.

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 11th Apr 2006, 09:37am
Post #8

City Key Holder
Thanks for that, I don't ever remember the blue buses going out there. I can still remember 'driving' that bus - I wonder how I would get on today if I was to go up top!

Those were the days!

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 11th Apr 2006, 11:39am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
QUOTE (JFerrie @ 10th Apr 2006, 10:21 PM)
The buses to Garthamlock were Blue (1A, 1B, 1C & 1D) from the Dundas Street bus station.  There was a green Easterhouse bus that went through Garthamlock - the 211.

Spot on

They differed according to the route they took, and ran out of Stepps Depot.

Central, Eastern, Western and all of The Alexander Midlands Bluebirds were part of The Scottish Bus Group.

The Traffic Commission supervised public transport and the Corporation picked up and dropped off passengers within the boundaries laid down by the commission. The other bus companies could only pick up within those boundaries on outward journeys.

Dimmairt has some good shots of both the bus stations.

Here's a shot of Killermont Street

Find other bus stuff here

Central SMT

+Quote Post
Allan D.Sim
post 12th Apr 2006, 11:22pm
Post #10

Super Resident
Member No.: 321
I lived literally "just round the corner" from Dundas Street Bus Station. We moved away in 1967. I hopefully will post a picture or two from virtual mitchell. Memories are sweet of the Western Scottish buses running up and down my street, Cunningham Street. This was located first left as you exited onto Dundas Street. At the corner was the usual pub, in our case Matthew Reid, latterly Bar 82 as it was 82 Dundas Street. To find pictures on VirtualMitchell, enter street search, and then Killermont Street. First picture is the bus station demolished. as you see from picture, road on left is new realigned Killermont Street. you can make out Buchanan bus station at left edge of picture. To the right is Cunningham Street, which finally disappeared when the railway bridge was removed and Buchanan Galleries car park was built over it.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Guest_Alan*
post 21st May 2006, 03:23pm
Post #11

Thomas

here is a great 1894 map. http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/scottishhisto...aps/glasgow.asp

Most of the streets are the same up to the 1950's

Alan

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 20th Jun 2006, 08:42am
Post #12

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
Sorry, I'm new here. This is off the topic.

This post has been edited by Oor Wullie: 20th Jun 2006, 09:41am

+Quote Post
*Guest_Alan*
post 8th Aug 2006, 08:17pm
Post #13

I drove the buses into both Killermont Street and Waterloo Street in the early 1960s. These were very tight turns with buses with no power streering. I only made as mess of it once and dented the side of my bus. It was supposed to be that Killermont Street was being used the wrong way round,with buses going out the way they were supposed to go in.

The cabins of these buses,most of them had still crash gear boxes, were frozen in the winter,with drafts howling up past the clutch and brake pedals. It was a hard life,but many a laugh as most of the buses had a mixed crew of driver and conductress.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 26th Nov 2006, 08:50pm
Post #14

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
In 1965, my family were rehoused from Parson Street to Garthamlock. We knew every inch of Townhead, Parly Road, Dundas Street, etc. As I went to school in Garnethill (don't ask!!) I travelled in and out of Dundas Street bus station every day. We travelled on the Blue Alexander buses - 4A which went down to the Edinburgh Road and in, the 4C which went via Riddrie, and the 4D which went round Provanmill and came out down Royston Road.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
**Richard**
post 29th Sep 2011, 09:52am
Post #15

I remember using the Dundas Street bus station to get buses to Kirkintilloch from the early 60's upto 69 when we moved south of the border. I can only remember the blue buses. There used to be a Wimpy across from the bus station. Can anyone recall the number of the bus route to Kirkintilloch? For some reason I thought that it was 770
Thanks
Richard

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.