Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ross Hospital, help!!! information needed
Karidian
post 5th Dec 2005, 10:11pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,682
hi evryone. new here and looking for some information. I was told i was born in the Ross Hospital, Paisley but noone seems to know anything about it, even some Paisley Buddies ive spoken to!! any information about where it was would be most helpful and very gratefully received. Help me settle this arguement plse. i was born in 1972, my name is Ross and i was christened by a minister called Ross - hence the reason the name always stuck in my mind. thanks in advance biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 5th Dec 2005, 11:15pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Check here

Ross

Ross Hospital seems to be the Colloquial name for a maternity unit possibly attached to another Hospital in Paisley. Possibly Hawkhead which was built on land previously owned by the Ross Family.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 5th Dec 2005, 11:17pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
Hi Karidian,

Welcome to the GGBB.

There is a Ross Hall Hospital in Glasgow. It is one of the private hospitals and is situated in Crookston. You will find more information if you follow the link:

Ross Hall

I hope this helps.

Luceo

EDIT! Dexter's post seems the likelier proposition!

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 6th Dec 2005, 07:55am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Ross Hospital existed at least between 1955 and the the seventies.
Ross Hall was the old Hotel School of the University of Strathclyde and was converted into a private hospital in the eighties. It certainly did not ever operate (excuse the pun) as a maternity unit. Oh and it's not in Paisley.

However other Glasgow Guide members may be interested in its services

Stress

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 6th Dec 2005, 08:05am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
Dexter,

Clearly your explanation is the correct one. Unnecassarily labouring the point does not make it more correct. Not to worry, I am sure your link to stress will prove useful. Thanks for your input!

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
kmacc
post 6th Dec 2005, 11:47am
Post #6

Resident
Member No.: 185
ross hospital was a maternity hospital in paisley in the 1950s
my niece was born there

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 6th Dec 2005, 03:04pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
our youngest son was born in Ross Maternity Hospital in 1964 and it was of course in Paisley

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 6th Dec 2005, 06:38pm
Post #8

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
I had 2 of my children in the Ross Hospital in Paisley, it was just opened when my eldest was born, I was taken to Rottenrow first then sent on the Ross, this was 7th October 1956, only a few patients in it, first class treatment, went on to have a son 3 years later also in The Ross Hospital, I know it was near a cemetery because it was winter and snowing and the ambulance went up to the cemetery gates thinking it was the hospital

+Quote Post
Karidian
post 6th Dec 2005, 11:11pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,682
wow that was quick, thanks to all who replied, it gives me something to go on with. Must tell faither about this site, hes into reliving his memories of early life in Glasgow. know he posts on a site but not sure which.
Thanks again
Kar biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
rose d
post 8th Dec 2005, 01:32am
Post #10

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,237
hi karidian
welcome to the ggbb
the hospital is the ross maternity hawkhead rd paisley and rosie-k is right the cemetery is on the opposite side of the hospital hope this helps

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 8th Dec 2005, 06:01pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,055
hey karidian,
i too was born at the ross hospital in paisley in 1965,the last i heard it was torn down sometime in the seventies.I'm noo too sure on that tho.
I was told by my mother that it was closed.

--------------------
If I don't see ye through the week,I'll see ye through the windae

+Quote Post
*Guest_Hazel*
post 4th Jan 2006, 10:26pm
Post #12

wub.gif Ross Hospital is still there, but now it seems to be a place where you see consultants. Its off a roundabout on the way to Hillington. My eldest son was born there in 1961, shortly after it opened as a Maternity Hospital. It was very pleasant, being new and shiny with single rooms as well as wards.

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 5th Jan 2006, 06:04pm
Post #13

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
Yes Hazel, that is exactly the way I remember the Ross --all nice and shiny--I felt right posh wih my own room, the New Zealand nurse I had Knitted wee bootees and a hat for my daughter Pauline in 1956, can you imagine them doing that now, they seem to be run off their feet.

+Quote Post
*WeeJean*
post 5th May 2007, 09:55pm
Post #14

Hi thgere! Iad to know this is well afta the original posting but i felt i had to get my wee bit in here! lol
I was born in the Ross Hospital in 1969. Its in Hawkhead Road and is still there ut i couldnt say for how long since its abandoned now. It was used as a Maternity Hospital before the new Paisley Maternity was built, before that you were born in Thornhill mostly i think. Catchya all lata xxx x

+Quote Post
*DamienStar*
post 28th May 2007, 01:28pm
Post #15

I was also born at Ross Hospital in Paisley in 1960. I am living in Canada now, but I do still have family there and they tell me that it is still there, but no longer Ross Hospital.

Actually, I lost my Birth Certificate and need to obtain a new one. Can anyone offer me any advice on how to go about that? Please post and email replies to me at damienstar@mts.net

Thanks so much!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.