Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fishers Household Supplies, Clothes on tick..
PenileeFurMe
post 16th Feb 2017, 03:48am
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 32,692
I was wondering if there were any "poor" people haha..that remember their parents taking them to get new clothes..for school or special occasions at Fishers Household Supplies The place reminded me of "Are You Being Served"Dark wooden cabinets and drawers? The staff were like that too..

You could get stuff you really couldn't afford and pay it off week by week... I'm not sure if they came to your door like "The Prudential Man" (penny policy)

While m thinking of the past.....We used to get a catalogue where again...you could buy anything..and pay that off week by week.. I think the stuff came from England... LONG LONG before E-Bay. Anyone remember the name?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 16th Feb 2017, 04:30pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
You also used to get the Provy (Provident) man calling every week and he could issue you with vouchers which you took to certain stores and exchanged for goods like furniture and electrical items and you repaid the loan to the man when he called each week. not sure but maybe this still goes on

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 16th Feb 2017, 08:13pm
Post #3

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
I remember this too. I think my Dad would get what he called a "line" from a salesman of sorts who called at the door. Desperately trying to remember the name of the shop but it was off Argyle Street somewhere. I went there for my school uniform in 1953. This must have been a godsend to so many people who couldn't afford the cash for new clothes.

Love these old memories.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
taurus
post 16th Feb 2017, 08:57pm
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 17th Feb 2017, 07:13am) *
I remember this too. I think my Dad would get what he called a "line" from a salesman of sorts who called at the door. Desperately trying to remember the name of the shop but it was off Argyle Street somewhere. I went there for my school uniform in 1953. This must have been a godsend to so many people who couldn't afford the cash for new clothes.

Love these old memories.

There were a few 'warehouses' off Argyle St,Telfers is the one I remember,and you only got a line if you knew someone. That was in a street near Woolworths if I remember. Also ,if you were very lucky and knew someone who could get you a line for Goldbergs (I was never lucky enough).It was a risky business though,for if the person who got the line ,got the goods and didn`t pay the bill,the one who gave out the line (introduction) got left to pay it. My MIL got caught in that trap,and never gave out a line again. Thinking about it now,I suppose the one who gave out the line got a wee bit of commission from the store ,but I never could fathom the mystery of how it came about.My mother just got the Caledonian cheque,paid it up,renewed it when it was all paid,and that went on nearly all year. Only thing was,the clothes from the shops that took the Caledonian were very ordinary,not like the style they had in the 'warehouses'. Glasgow ,always being so style conscious,this really showed. Fishers warehouse at Glasgow Cross I always thought was furniture and toys,I don`t ever remember seeing clothes in there. My big brother`s first job when he left school at 14 was in Fishers,and he was delivering an interior fireplace up 3 stories,hurt his back,and never really recovered,he`s 85 now,had a sore back all his life,thanks to Fishers.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.