Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brownlee City Sawmills In Port Dundas, Memories?
rainbowchaser
post 17th Aug 2016, 10:36am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,504
Does anyone recall Brownlees in Craighall Road just past the Mosshouse coming from Saracen Street. My first ever job was there in 1968 and it was a pleasant summer and wandering around the yard there was such a great smell of newly cut wood. The main office was an imposing reddish building on the left and there were some newer offices across the road and crossing that busy road was hazardous. Lots of good people worked there in my time, many names forgotten, but there was Davy Campbell, Phil Brown and Donald McKillop who all worked in the office and there were loads of people in the yard and the order office. There were several of us who were taken on as apprentices - but no one actually ever told us what we were apprentices for. (I remember the expression timber technology was bandied around a lot.) One of the above named people appeared in court as a witness and he was asked what his job was and he said he was an apprentice and the advocate asked him 'an apprentice what?' - and he looked blankly and said 'I don't know - just an apprentice'.

To this day when I smell new cut wood or hear 'Yummy Yummy Yummy' which had just moved up to #35 on the charts that week - I think of Brownlees.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
flam
post 17th Aug 2016, 11:05am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Yes I remember the sawmill, there was a wee gentleman from Possil (Sunnylaw St) his second name was Connor and I believe his first name was Pat ?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.