Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Missing 2nd Glasgow Highlander, Mondrainville
nige51
post 12th Jun 2014, 07:55pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,181
My wife and I have just returned from Normandy where we were searching for my wife's uncle who was killed in the action at Mondrainville on 28th June 1944. Lt.A.M.Loudon SCoy was shot in Mondrainville during Operation Epsom. When he was killed he was with two others, Archie Mason and another. They were wounded and escaped. Archie went back with padre James Taylor and Lt. Loudon was identified by Archie as the germans had taken his id discs, watch and compass. Padre James Taylor officiated and Lt. Loudon was buried where he had fallen. Padre James Taylor was killed a couple of days later. Lt. Loudon is remembered on one of the Bayeux panels but has no marked grave. We have been trying to find him. What we can't work out is he was identified and buried but there is no marked grave in any of the cemetaries, we have looked at every grave stone in all the appropriate cemetaries. If for some reason he was unidentified he surely would have had his regiment or division and his rank marked on his headstone! So that's where we are when we came across this board. Hoping someone may add to this. We have the concise regimental history which he is mentioned in, but would like to find the full version. Thanks Nigel and Pam nee Loudon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 12th Jun 2014, 08:11pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
Nige51, I cannot suggest anything to you other than to get in touch with the Commonwealth Graves Commission. This is the simplest type of search available. If there is a grave, and it seems according to what you say, that there must be, then the Commission will be aware of it. Simply Google Commonwealth Graves Commission, and if you haven't already tried them, I'm sure they will do everything possible to help you. Good Luck.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 13th Jun 2014, 09:27am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Hello nige51. You could try the Army Personnel website, you will find loads of information there. They are based at St Kentigern House, Brown St Glasgow and the phone number is 0141-248-7890. As with most things, there may be a cost for any information they might have to offer but, as Dugald says, the best place to start would be the Commonwealth Gave Commission. Good luck. Mary

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 13th Jun 2014, 11:04am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Nige it has just occurred to me that your use of "2nd Glasgow Highlander" is a bit confusing. The title "Glasgow Highlander" as far as I'm aware belonged only to the 9th Btn HLI, and I'm not aware at all of anything to do with the "2nd" Btn. Maybe if you have no luck you could try dropping the "2nd Glasgow Highlander" title when searching and go simply for the "HLI" (that is , the "Highland Light Infantry") on the assumption that this was the regiment... which won't necessarily be the case. Why do I say this? Well, the HLI was not a part of the 51st Highland Division, whose members could be called "highlanders"; it was really a Lowland division and it's members would not be called "highlanders". Keep trying.

+Quote Post
nige51
post 15th Jun 2014, 04:45pm
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,181
Hi and thanks everyone for input. Mary will try the Army Personnel Site and hopefully find out something. Dugald as far as I can make out and I must admit the HLI and City of Glasgow Regiment, Glasgow Highlanders tags I have been trying to sort out in my head!!

Lt.A.M. Loudon is mentioned in the concise history of the Glasgow Highlanders. Gravestones for the 2nd Battalion Glasgow Highlanders also carry the HLI inscription. Some of the headstones with the HLI crest on them are for soldiers from the 2nd Battalion Glasgow Highlanders. The 10th Battalion HLI also have City of Glasgow Regiment after it. So this is what I'm trying to sort out.

Nigel

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 16th Jun 2014, 09:35pm
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,677
Hi Just adding to this thread

The Glasgow Highlanders - 9th HLI raised two battalions during WW2

The first battalion came under the 52nd Lowland Division and the second under 15th Scottish Division

Nige51 - As you said he and the padre are mentioned in the concise history of the 2nd Bn GH and believe you already have a copy of this

Dugald - May have thought that there was only one battalion but as I said they raised two - since they were different Divisions they I believe never met up and fought together although they may have met in passing through areas

Originally - they were raised in 1868 and by 1908 took the name 9th Battalion HLI (Glasgow Highlanders) during WW1 they raised 3 battalions and as I said WW2 raised two battalions
When they formed the idea came that they could raise men who came from the Highlands and lived in Glasgow and basically were the Highlanders from Glasgow - Thus The Glasgow Highlanders

Queen Victoria herself decreed that this force would wear an identical uniform of the Royal Highland Regiment (The Black Watch) and basically they were kitted out as the Black Watch Regiment - the differences were the badge but the tarten they wore was No 1 Government tarten and they were kilted in comparison to the remainder of the HLI who mostly wore tarten Trews (Trousers)

I am the chairman of the Glasgow Highlanders Association at present - and hope this bit of information helps

I don't really do research but if I can help anyone I have some books on The Glasgow Highlanders and their WW1 War Diary also the concise history of both battalions and a few others -

My email is

dinger105@hotmail.com

I will have a look and see if I can find out anything on Nige51's relative

Dinger
Raymond Bell -

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 16th Jun 2014, 11:07pm
Post #7

Super Resident
Hi Nigel

Checked the war graves and if I have the right soldier shows

Alastair Montgomery Loudon Lt

Regt Number 264671

Killed 28 June 1944

2 HLI - although we know he was 2nd Glasgow Highlanders from the concise history of 2 GH

Remembered on Panel 17 Col 2 at Bayeux Memorial

Only additional info at this stage is he was born in Greenock and lived in Ayrshire

The war graves show him as 2nd Bn HLI but you know he was 2nd Bn Glasgow Highlanders and he shows in the concise history of 2 GH on their casualty list and as the Glasgow Highlanders were 9th HLI they have shown him as HLI rather than Glasgow Highlanders - certainly I have came across this before during battlefield tours that I have been on for WW1 casualties

As he is remembered on a memorial wall it may mean they never recovered his body his name would have been listed because they knew he had been killed as you said witnessed and identified by Archie Mason and he was buried where he fell I am presuming later his body would have been recovered but if the unit recovering a body which had no identification on it as you said the Germans had taken his ID discs his body may have been buried under "Known only to God" or an unknown soldier

Also normally the padre or someone within the unit dealing with casualty lists would record the location of the soldiers burial place so it could be recovered later so I wonder how the padre marked his grave where he fell and when he passed the details onto the casualty officer or Battalion Headquarters

As I said it may be that he is listed on a headstone as "A soldier known only to God"

I do not have the 2nd GH - WW2 War Diary but I will try and see if I can find someone who has as it may list in the diary something about him

So if anyone reading this has a copy of their war diary you may have some more information for Nigel if you could post and see if we can help him

Thanks

Dinger
Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 16th Jun 2014, 11:35pm
Post #8

Super Resident
Hi Nigel

I see Lt Loudon is mentioned on the following

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic1268.html

Dinger

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 17th Jun 2014, 02:25am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Very interesting history here!....Thanks!

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 17th Jun 2014, 02:53am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
You are a proper fountain of HLI regimental knowledge Raymond. This clears up the puzzle i had : I couldn't figure out the use of two Btns in one 9th Btn (let alone three!) , but now i see the reason. I was going to suggest to Nigel that if he could check out the badges (on gravestones for example) he could establish exactly which unit the uncle served with. In the Great War the 9th Btn badge appeared more like a Black Watch badge than an HLI badge. Anyway, since i wasn;t sure about this I chose not to mention it. Thank you again very much for your help Raymond.I'm sure Nigel will appreciate your help.

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 24th Jun 2014, 09:51pm
Post #11

Super Resident
Nigel I have copied this from your Thanks for Help thread just to continue the original thread

Hi
Thanks for your help. We are slowly trying to put together Lt Loudons details. We are hoping to find details about the position of his burial and then find out if he was moved to a cemetery later. The complication may be that the padre, a Rev. James Taylor who was attached to the 2 GH at the time, and who performed the burial on the spot where Lt. Loudon was killed, also was killed one or two days later. Did the padre actually manage to pass on the location of this burial before he was killed? We think be must have as the record of Lt. Loudons death is recorded so presumably his burial was too. Now to try and find where that was!

Nige51

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 24th Jun 2014, 09:59pm
Post #12

Super Resident
mlconnelly Hope you don't mind that I copied your comment to Nigel's missing Highlander thread

Good luck nige51. thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 24th Jun 2014, 10:00pm
Post #13

Super Resident
Hi Nigel

I see that you have opened a new thread "Thanks for Help" - that's why you could not find some of your information as some of it is under "missing 2nd Glasgow Highlander" thread you should just add to original thread rather than starting a new one just makes it easier for people to follow your missing highlander thread. I am away for a couple of weeks but when I get back I will see if our Regimental Museum at 2 Scots (RHF) Sauchiehall Street Glasgow has any information on your wife's uncle although they don't hold a lot of details but I'll get back to you if I find anything.

Raymond

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 19th Jul 2014, 12:28pm
Post #14

Super Resident
Hi

Lt Alistair Montgomery Loudon attended Glasgow Academy and is remembered on their roll of honour at

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic5624.html

Nigel I have PM you can you email me - Thanks

Dinger
Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 22nd Jul 2014, 09:41pm
Post #15

Super Resident
Hi Nigel

Can you check your PMs

I have managed to find a group photo of the 2nd Bn Glasgow Highlanders - The padre (Taylor) who carried out the service for Lt Loudon is on the left on the centre line but you will see by the names attached Lt Loudon was not present when the photo was taken

Attached Image

Attached Image

Just another bit of the jig saw

Raymond
Dinger

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.