Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> High Craighall Road, Help
JimC
post 28th Jun 2014, 03:45pm
Post #31

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
Sorry about the dublicate photos, wasn`t sure how to delete the doubles without deleting everything. At least it will give you a second chance to view the pictures.
All The Very Best.
JimC.

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
baldybane123
post 1st Jul 2014, 02:56pm
Post #32

Settling In
Member No.: 25,764
Hi Jim C,

I don't recognise any of the people in the backyard photo.
I take that's your mum and sister.
It is the back court of 116, it had a dunney thats why you cant see the close very well.
The smaller windows are the outside toilets.
I lived above the close, at the front.

The h_g_ photo shows the waste ground between eagle street and 116.
Do you know what the wooden hut is on high craighall road, there appears to be a man standing near it,
(at the bottom of the railings of the eagle street houses).
Don't recognise the people in this photo either.

Mrs Fleming was before my time, I heard she done the stairs and kept the place looking nice.

baldybane

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
JimC
post 4th Jul 2014, 08:05pm
Post #33

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
Hi baldybane
Aye, your right on the first photo, it is my mother Agnes and my sister Betty. You cant see our window but it was right above the one behind my mom on the top flat.
The old shed you are speaking about was actually an old railway carriage, and the owner used to keep and repair his motorcycles in it, we used to climb up on top of it, it was covered with sheets of corrugated tin and we were forever ripping our pants on the screws when trying to slide off it.
The people in the photograph are from left to right looking at it, Ella Wade ( Sadie Wade`s daughter) next is Mary Corrigan, my sister Betty and Mervin Rielly who lived up the next close, I thought you might have recognised Ella.
All The Very best.
JimC

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said

+Quote Post
baldybane123
post 10th Jul 2014, 02:40pm
Post #34

Settling In
Member No.: 25,764
Hi Jim.C

Yes the Wades were a well known Family Bobby was the only one I knew because he was a pal of my
Husband.

tatty bye

Baldybane.

+Quote Post
*RoddyMac17*
post 20th Aug 2014, 06:14pm
Post #35

I've just come across this thread and I'm very thankful for all the pictures and info. My great great grandfather lived at 116 in 1890, and I've never seen a photo of it until now. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Lilly
post 12th Nov 2014, 04:09pm
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 27,087
Hi
Just came across this post on Craighall Road,I hope you dont mind me asking I have been doing my Family History for a good few years now and have a lot on my McCaw family that stayed there, baldybane123 and Eastwood19 I have a Minnie McCaw( parents Samuel McCaw and Margaret Kelly ) Minnie McCaw married a Robert Ross, she was born 1906,
Regards
Lilly

+Quote Post
*Anne Jackson*
post 14th Feb 2015, 11:46am
Post #37

QUOTE (*cathy52* @ 13th Apr 2014, 01:05pm) *
All my ancesters came from high craighall rd, I would love to see old photo, s of it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
*ABurns*
post 15th Feb 2015, 12:06am
Post #38

QUOTE (JimC @ 19th Apr 2014, 03:42am) *
Aye Cathy,
That would be her, a lot younger than what I remember and a bit taller but I recognize the face. I guess we all get a wee bit on the shorter side as we get older but I can still see her standing looking at you with her arms crossed as though you had just done something wrong. Mind you, at eight years old you were always doing something wrong.
All The Very Best
JimC

I used to live at number 100 during 1934 to 1952 our family name is Burns, it would be kind if anyone remembers or has old photographs.

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 15th Feb 2015, 04:23pm
Post #39

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
A burns you must have stayed at 100 when my gt gran lived there ,she was helen scott weir.

+Quote Post
*ANNE BURNS*
post 21st Feb 2015, 12:24pm
Post #40

Hi JimC My name was Anne Burns and I lived at no 100 1934 to 1954 The house across the road from the bakery was owned by an old couple I called Auntie Bessie and Uncle Neelie. Mrs Corbett lived with them. When I was young, only a Mrs Munro and her son Stuart lived with the old couple. Stuart was my special friend he had asthma and excema. The boys of the street were too rough for him so I spent lots of time with him in that very interesting house. Ground floor there were5 bedrooms the piano room and Stuart's enormous playroom
Down a spiral stair were the kitchen and a large laundry. Sadly, my wee friend died at about 10 yrs.around 1945. He had gone to a convalescent home for a short stay but he and another boy ran away and they slept the night under a bush. Stuart died covered in snow. I have never forgotten Stuart and I have tried to find info about his death but no luck. I know that it was all over the Glasgow newspapers at the time.

+Quote Post
*ANNE BURNS*
post 21st Feb 2015, 12:52pm
Post #41

hi Cathy 52, I did Know Mrs Weir she often visited my mum on the middle landing. She would sit on the chair beside the kitchen door and her arms were always folded. She must have been into her 80s. She would stay a long time and my mum would go ahead making the dinner while they chatted. Anne

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 21st Feb 2015, 12:55pm
Post #42

Hi Roddy Mac Are you a mc McKenzie? Anne Burns

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 21st Feb 2015, 01:01pm
Post #43

Hi Jim C I lived in no 100 until1953-4 Remember me? Anne Burns brothers Samuel, James And Robert Parents Sam and Mary

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 21st Feb 2015, 08:12pm
Post #44

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
Hi anne, thats nice you remember my gt gran ,i didnt know anything about her or y gt grandad until i started my fami.y tree. She died in 1955 i was 3 yrs old sadly never heard her bei g mentioned when growing up i had a few relations stayed at 100, my gt aunt susan kelly who stayed with her sister mary and my grandad willie kelly.

+Quote Post
*ANNE BURNS*
post 23rd Feb 2015, 03:35pm
Post #45

QUOTE (RoddyMac17 @ 20th Aug 2014, 06:31pm) *
I've just come across this thread and I'm very thankful for all the pictures and info. My great great grandfather lived at 116 in 1890, and I've never seen a photo of it until now. Thanks!

Hi Roddy , Are you Roddy McKenzie, my cousin?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.