Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> High Craighall Road, Help
**JimC**
post 12th Apr 2014, 03:21pm
Post #1

Hi ,
I was wondering if any of you old timers ( like myself ) would have old pictures of High Craighall Road, Port Dundas prior to 1958. I lived there for many of my younger years and trying to find old pictures of the street seem to be impossible to find.
All The Very Best.
JimC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JimC
post 12th Apr 2014, 05:43pm
Post #2

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
I was wondering if any of you "Old Timers " ( like myself ) have any old photographs of High Craighall Road, Port Dundas prior to 1958. I grew up on this old street and have been trying to find some old photographs for years now but they seem just impossible to find. All the old buildings and air raid shelters have vanished and the only thing left is the actual road itself and a few old walls and foundations, not to mention of course the new factories and offices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said

+Quote Post
**cathy52**
post 13th Apr 2014, 12:48pm
Post #3

All my ancesters came from high craighall rd, I would love to see old photo, s of it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
**cathy52**
post 13th Apr 2014, 07:36pm
Post #4

My ancesters come from high craighall rd number 100,and 98.i would love to see old photo, s of the place.

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 13th Apr 2014, 11:27pm
Post #5

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
hi jim, my ancesters came from high craighall rd, i would love to see any photo,s of the place. hope someone might have some. smile.gif

+Quote Post
irrie
post 14th Apr 2014, 02:24pm
Post #6

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Old relatives of mine John and Barbara Mclaughlan lived there way back in the 1930s. Willie and Cathy Ross also lived there in the 50s. Sorry i dont have any pics.

+Quote Post
JimC
post 15th Apr 2014, 01:48pm
Post #7

Lord Provost
Attached Image

Thanks Cathy and Irrie for your responses. I actually lived there from 1947 to 1958 at nimber 116 which was in the older tenement building and unfortunately the first to be demoloshed. I have one photograph which gives an areal view of the street but again my building is gone the only remnants of what used to be there are three old air raid shelters which stood in the back courts.
All The Very Best.
Jim.

--------------------

+Quote Post
**cathy52**
post 15th Apr 2014, 03:42pm
Post #8

Hi jim, my ancesters lived 98 and 100, for some reason they mostly all stayed at 100 my gt gran lived there till 1955 she was 80ish and she had a wee sweetie shop, or she sold them from her house, her name was helen weir,

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 16th Apr 2014, 11:46am
Post #9

Super Resident
hi jim, my gt gran lived at 100 high craighall rd she lived there till 1955, her name was helen weir she had a wee sweetie shop dont know if it was a room in her house that she sold her sweets ect all the weirs lived there. yes.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 16th Apr 2014, 11:47am
Post #10

Super Resident
sorry jim sent wrong photo meant to send photo of my gt gran. blush4.gif

+Quote Post
JimC
post 16th Apr 2014, 11:57pm
Post #11

Lord Provost
Hi Cathy
I do faintly remember a Mrs. Weir, she was a short lady with grey hair and very opinionated if I recall correctly and would chase us away from the back close if we were playing around. There was a wee sweetie shop there but it was owned by a lady called Sadie Lawrie, and was indeed a proper shop that had been converted from one of the homes at the front of the close, or as they were called one of the Single Ends. If you look at the picture above, the Sweetie Shop was situated close to the bottom of the picture where there seems to be a kind of semi circle close to the road. If you can come down between the first and second air raid shelter towards the road you will see it.although it was very small, it sold everything from potatoes to bread to cigarettes and canned veggies, when I think of it now it reminds me of something out of a Charles Dickens novel. Not only was it a wee shop but it was also one of the meeting and gossip areas for the mothers who would sit around with a wee cup of tea talking about this and that, Ah, those were the days.
All The Very Best
JimC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eastwood 19
post 17th Apr 2014, 07:15pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,219
I was interested to see the topic about high Craighall Rd. When my mother died in 1937 I was the youngest of four children. In order to help my father I was brought up in my 'aunt's' house at No 52 which was a stone house with a back entrance in lower Craighall Rd. My Aunt was Minnie Ross and I left to join the rest of my family in Blairgowrie when I reached the age of 5 and had to go to school. My Maternal grandmother lived across the street at No.104. She was Mary Kate Kelly and she was blind and deaf. After the war on our family's return to Glasgow I was a weekly visitor to Craihall Rd. To visit my Granny you just opened the door of her downstairs flat it was never locked. I do not think you could do that anywhere today.
I remember the shop next to my grannys close. The lady who had it in 1941 was called Tilley and I remember her giving me a huge bar of chocolate when I left to go to school. There was a family upstairs in no. 104 called Mc Millan the oldest son was Alec and he and four younger brothers became well known boxers. I am still trying to trace my family history to detemine what if any relation my Aunty Minnie was to me. I was living in her house when I got married in 1959.

+Quote Post
JimC
post 17th Apr 2014, 08:15pm
Post #13

Lord Provost
    Hi Eastwood,
    I can`t say I remember Mrs Ross but I do remember the houses that had front doors on to High Craighall Rd. and backdoors to Lower Craighall Rd, I believe your Grans house was directly accross the street from the Port Dunashill Bakery and there was another house attached at the side of your Grans that was occupied by the Corbetts who had a son called John who was a little older than myself.
    As for Big Tilley aye, I can remember her as if it was yesterday, She must have owned the Wee Shop before Sadie Lawrie (whose married name was Wade and had a daughter called Ella), as I cant remember her being in the shop, I lived at number 116 on the top floor and Tilley lived on the ground floor at number 116 facing the street . She was like a caretaker of the close, she must have been over six feet tall, she had a wee bit of difficulty walking and had to hold on to both sides of the walls when walking towards you, it was a a wee bit of a scary sight at least I thought she was as I was only about 8 years old at the time. She used to have her gandaughter live with her and her name was Betty something, a nice respectable wee lassie about the same age as myself.
    The other people who I remember living in the same close was Mr. Biggar, Mr & Mrs. Fleming on the ground floor. Mrs Donnachie with her son John who lived one floor up, there was four other families on that floor bur I cant remember their names. and on the top floor was my mom, dad sister and brother, Mr. & Mrs Gilliland, another Mrs Fleming and Jim and Ruth Taylor.
    All The Very Best.
    JimC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
    cathy52
    post 18th Apr 2014, 01:27pm
    Post #14

Super Resident
    this is my gt gran helen weir.

Attached thumbnail(s)
    Attached Image

+Quote Post
    JimC
    post 19th Apr 2014, 03:25am
    Post #15

Lord Provost
    Aye Cathy,
    That would be her, a lot younger than what I remember and a bit taller but I recognize the face. I guess we all get a wee bit on the shorter side as we get older but I can still see her standing looking at you with her arms crossed as though you had just done something wrong. Mind you, at eight years old you were always doing something wrong.
    All The Very Best
    JimC

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
    Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.