Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Accordion Bands
Foxy52
post 14th Nov 2012, 02:24pm
Post #16

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
I seem to remember that cold snap, that maybe account for the statue having a Rangers tammy on its head and a fish supper in its hand
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
johnnyhendrickso...
post 31st Jan 2014, 11:32am
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 12,826
QUOTE (Foxy52 @ 31st Oct 2012, 09:54am) *
Would that big polis's name have been Gavin McLeod? He played in the Saracen too, He would be dressed in his police uniform walking alongside the band until it was out of sight of Maitland St. Off would come the tunic and hat, these were given to someone walking alongside the band and the flute would come out of the back pocket, I knew big Gavin well, he was never away from our house, he would always be needing my help in his inquiries............lol

+Quote Post
johnnyhendrickso...
post 31st Jan 2014, 11:36am
Post #18

Visitor
Big Gavin was a good friend of our family I think he was based in the Northern Police Station in Maitland Street that's where I lived until 1959.

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 31st Jan 2014, 06:24pm
Post #19

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
That's right John, he was based in Maitland St. , well into the late 60s that l personally know of. I could tell you a few stories about him that are all true, but not on this site
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
*Guvin Billy*
post 2nd Feb 2014, 01:01am
Post #20

As a child in Glasgow I well remember the sense of fear and the hostility engendered by the "Loyal an' royal marching bands" with their stewards marching alongside, menacing those who dared not to share their 'Christianity'. I lie, as on the occasions when I was bailed up around the twelfth of July and asked if I was a Catholic or otherwise.

+Quote Post
johnnyhendrickso...
post 11th Sep 2014, 01:13pm
Post #21

Visitor
Hi Archie sometimes things like this happened although they weren't supposed to I remember when I was in the Milton Star and we were walking along Partick and we met Prince Charles Accordion Band and they fell in with us and the two Bands ended up marching along the road together I remember the Drum Major of the Prince Charles threw up his Mace and it caught on the telegraph wires our Drum Major Alex Cowan threw up his Mace and it hit the wire and the other Mace fell down. Alex was a great Drum Major and a good friend he was also in the {Noey} the Brigton No Surrender flute band well Archie I will sign off now speak to you soon your friend johnnyhendrickson.I thought I would send you one of your coats of arms and the other photo is of the Milton Star in Belfast in the 70s or the 80s I don't know who the Bass Drummer is but I think the Accordion player is Charlie Robinson

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
johnnyhendrickso...
post 11th Sep 2014, 01:25pm
Post #22

Visitor
I think you are right Foxy I think his name was Gavin McLeod I think he did play for the Saracen flute band as well don't know if he is still living or not if you have any old band photos of the Milton Star or the King William 111 Accordion Band or the Possil Vickey I would be very grateful if you would send them to me I will sign off now your friend johnny hendricksonl.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 12th Sep 2014, 03:04am
Post #23

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
I`m sorry I started to read this post entitled accordian bands,I thought it would be about Jimmy Shand and the likes,...I was wrong.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 12th Sep 2014, 08:43am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (taurus @ 12th Sep 2014, 05:21am) *
I`m sorry I started to read this post entitled accordian bands,I thought it would be about Jimmy Shand and the likes,...I was wrong.

You have my sympathy, Taurus. sad.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
johnnyhendrickso...
post 15th Dec 2014, 12:31pm
Post #25

Visitor
Hi Foxy was it you or Archie McKinnon that said they would send me some photos of the Milton Star and Billy Lynch at an Orange Dance in either Sunnylaw Street or Millarbank Street if you have any photos of the Milton Star or King William 111 Accordion Bands I would be very g
rateful if you would send them to me hoping you are keeping all right your friend johnnyhendrickson.
ps. This is an old photo of me on the beach in Spain not a good photo.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
**johnnyhendrickson**
post 11th Jan 2015, 03:38pm
Post #26

Does anyone remember the Possilpark True Blues flute band they started off in 1952 I would be very grateful for any photos of this band or any photos of the Milton Star accordion band thank you your friend jonnyhendrickson.

+Quote Post
johnnyhendrickso...
post 25th Jun 2016, 08:19pm
Post #27

Visitor
Hi Foxy52 I wonder could you help me I would like to know if there is any Milton Star members still about and I would like to get in touch with them if possible and any photos of the Milton Star or Possil Vicky or the King William 111 well I will go now speak to you later
your band friend
Johnny Hendrickson.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.