Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Accordion Bands
johnnyhendrickso...
post 14th May 2012, 08:27pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 12,826

Hi all you x Possil Vicky and Milton Star members does any body have any photos of the Possil Vicky or the Milton Star i have three of the Milton Star but i don't have any of the Possil Vicky i also have an old photo of my first band the Saracen Flute Band in the 50s or 60s iwas in the Sarrie i think in 1958 my friends in the Sarrie were Jimmy McComb,Tommy Dickson (side drum} Geordie Dickson (bass drum) Francie Dickson (bass flute) Bud MacIntyre i thinkhe played the flute . Iwould be very grateful if you could send me on any photos of these bands

Thank you
Johnnyhendrickson.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 15th May 2012, 12:27am
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
QUOTE (johnnyhendrickson @ 14th May 2012, 04:25pm) *
Hi all you x Possil Vicky and Milton Star members does any body have any photos of the Possil Vicky or the Milton Star i have three of the Milton Star but i don't have any of the Possil Vicky i also have an old photo of my first band the Saracen Flute Band in the 50s or 60s iwas in the Sarrie i think in 1958 my friends in the Sarrie were Jimmy McComb,Tommy Dickson (side drum} Geordie Dickson (bass drum) Francie Dickson (bass flute) Bud MacIntyre i thinkhe played the flute . Iwould be very grateful if you could send me on any photos of these bands

Thank you
Johnnyhendrickson.

Hi Johnnyhendrickson, Sorry l don't have any pictures of the bands you mentioned, l played in the William Dawson Acc.Band from 1960 through the early 70s. I also played with the Sarrie for almost a year, [ snare drum ] The names l remember from the Sarry at that time [1968/69 ] were John McCarthy, Wille Cunningham, Archie Hayes, Charlie, Norrie,those 2 moved to Canada. Auld Vic,was the teacher. Gavin Allen was the bass drummer. I have als recently been in touch with another person who played in the Dawson who is also on this site, Amackinnon, l am sure he will read this later he sent me a picture of the Dawson from about 1963, l think he has some more, l am hoping to meet up with him this July in Toronto, be the first time in 45 years, The picture of the accordion band you posted l believe is the Caledonian, my sister played in that band in the 60s, don't recognise the flute band.
Cheers
Foxy52

+Quote Post
johnnyhendrickso...
post 31st Oct 2012, 09:14am
Post #3

Visitor
QUOTE (johnnyhendrickson @ 14th May 2012, 08:44pm) *

Thank you
Johnnyhendrickson.

+Quote Post
johnnyhendrickso...
post 31st Oct 2012, 09:18am
Post #4

Visitor

That photo of a flute band is the Willie Wilson flute band there was a big polis man in the band i think his nme was Gavin Wylkie we just called him big Gavin that was another great we Glesga band.

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 31st Oct 2012, 09:37am
Post #5

Super Lord Provost
Would that big polis's name have been Gavin McLeod? He played in the Saracen too, He would be dressed in his police uniform walking alongside the band until it was out of sight of Maitland St. Off would come the tunic and hat, these were given to someone walking alongside the band and the flute would come out of the back pocket, I knew big Gavin well, he was never away from our house, he would always be needing my help in his inquiries............lol

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 31st Oct 2012, 10:08am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
If we are to believe this story, the Glasgow polis must have had a discipline problem as serious as that of the bands, which you claim, did not gie it laldy outside Catholic churches. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 31st Oct 2012, 10:27am
Post #7

Super Lord Provost
Are you insinuating that l am lying? As for the bands giving it laldy outside the pineapple, that was explained to you why it didn't happen in Scotland. Because of the risk of the band losing their marching permit. I told you this and also Jupiter told you and he was a cop in the district l was talking about.

Incidently, l don't lie, OK?

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 31st Oct 2012, 10:40am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
I am not accusing you of lying, any more than you would accuse me of the same, when I vividly recall the behaviour of the bands and the marchers in Shettleston in the 50s. wink.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 1st Nov 2012, 09:20am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 31st Oct 2012, 11:25am) *
If we are to believe this story, the Glasgow polis must have had a discipline problem as serious as that of the bands, which you claim, did not gie it laldy outside Catholic churches. rolleyes.gif

Perhaps I have a faulty memory but I can remember one band in 1968 going out of their normal route home so that they could stand outside St Cuthberts in Ruchazie giving it laldy.

I can also remember the same band a couple of years later after they had been instructed by the police to stick to their approved route again going out of their way to march past the same chapel, the only reason they were stopped is because the parish priests came out and linked arms in the street and only then did the police who were with them tell them to turn around.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 1st Nov 2012, 09:48am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Well, Dave, seemingly it was not allowed, ergo it did not happen ! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 1st Nov 2012, 03:54pm
Post #11

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 1st Nov 2012, 10:05am) *
Well, Dave, seemingly it was not allowed, ergo it did not happen ! rolleyes.gif

I don't believe you will find anyone disagree with you that the bands did indeed walk slowly or even stop outside any chapel that they may have been passing, I think that can be accepted as a fact. The time frame that Foxy & others are referring to is the the mid 60's & beyond.

I was a member of the William Dawson band ( as was Foxy) & as we were usually with the Springburn lodge(s) we usually passed by the big chapel on Saracen St ( can't remember the name of it! but it was away back from the road at the top of the hill!) and I clearly remember "giving it laldy" going passed it in the early 60's when I first joined as a boy.
But, I just as clearly remember being warned in no uncertain terms by both the police & the Orange Lodge Marshals in the mid 60's that we were not to play going passed it, the only thing that was allowed was the Base drummer &/or the lead snare drummer to sound out the "step". ( and yes! they did so with some "Vigor") biggrin.gif
If we failed to obey this directive we (the band) would have been denied a permit to parade & banned from marching the following year.
So, did it still happen on an occasion? Yes! no doubt, but rest assured there would have been severe consequences for that band. One last comment, it should be remembered that not all band members were members of the Orange Order, then or even now, in fact I would hazard a guess that the majority are NOT members.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 1st Nov 2012, 06:33pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Thank you for your reasoned post. I think I have always stated that I was referring to the 50s, as I have no later experiences of watching a walk. I think (and sincerely hope) that the tale of a Glasgow cop , shedding his uniform and whipping out his flute from a back pocket (obviously specially designed for the purpose), is a bit fanciful, whatever the era.

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 1st Nov 2012, 07:33pm
Post #13

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 1st Nov 2012, 06:50pm) *
Thank you for your reasoned post. I think I have always stated that I was referring to the 50s, as I have no later experiences of watching a walk. I think (and sincerely hope) that the tale of a Glasgow cop , shedding his uniform and whipping out his flute from a back pocket (obviously specially designed for the purpose), is a bit fanciful, whatever the era.

Well, you have to admit that the back pocket where they used to keep their baton would be ideal for a flute! laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 2nd Nov 2012, 12:43am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
archie the name of the church was st theresas in sararcen st you and foxy wernt the ones who painted the statue orange in 1960 yes.gif

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 14th Nov 2012, 01:39pm
Post #15

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (possilboy @ 2nd Nov 2012, 01:00am) *
archie the name of the church was st theresas in sararcen st you and foxy wernt the ones who painted the statue orange in 1960

I have no knowledge of that incident rolleyes.gif I was simply wearing gloves due to the sudden cold spell. laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.