Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Music Shop In Sauchiehall Street?, Can anyone remember its name?
Jupiter
post 23rd Apr 2012, 03:10pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Well Dave the Stones were good but I dont think it would get much better than the Lone Ranger.
Was he not part of a double act?
rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 23rd Apr 2012, 03:34pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 23rd Apr 2012, 04:15pm) *
Well Dave the Stones were good but I dont think it would get much better than the Lone Ranger.
Was he not part of a double act?
rolleyes.gif

Indeed he was Joop but I daernie mention his ethnicity otherwise im sure to be shouted doon as a racist laugh.gif

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 23rd Apr 2012, 10:14pm
Post #33

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 22nd Apr 2012, 10:05am) *
Don&acute;t you mean Biggar&acute;s, which is still there. Their instrument department used to be round the corner in Douglas Street but is now incorporated in the main store.

I think you may be right "Bilbo" there was an instrument store at the corner of Sauchiehall St & Douglas St ( where the Cancer Society now has a store!!) Unfortunately I cannot remember the name, but could have been "Bigger's". I remember as a wee boy wanting a clarinet that was in the window, never realizing how much such an instrument would cost my poor old mum!!!

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 23rd Apr 2012, 11:56pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
In the 1940's Biggars music shop was in Sauchiehall Street but near the corner of Renfield Street. There was a sports shop next to it called Lumley's.

In those days it was 12 inch records playing one tune on one side and another tune on the other side. The speed was 78 r.p.m. There were cubicles downstairs and you were allowed to use them to listen to a record before deciding to purchase it. As I recall the records cost around about 4 shillings (20p). A tradesman's weekly wage was about 5.00. In those days the best sellers were big bands like Glenn Miller, Harry James, Benny Goodman, and a mad American drummer, Gene Krupa.

The best selling vocalists were Frank Sinatra and Perry Como and Bing Crosby.

I wonder if many old timers are still around who remember the original Biggars?

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 24th Apr 2012, 12:41am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
danny h you are right biggers was across the road from a picture hall forget the name mt da took me to see tommy steel movie in the late fifties also next to biggers was a shop that sold highland dress

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 24th Apr 2012, 02:56am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
here you are danny
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Elma
post 24th Apr 2012, 05:23am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
QUOTE (DannyH @ 24th Apr 2012, 12:01am) *
In the 1940's Biggars music shop was in Sauchiehall Street but near the corner of Renfield Street. There was a sports shop next to it called Lumley's.

Oh my goodness, I had completely forgotten about Lumleys. That was where I, or at least my Mum and Dad, went to buy all the sports stuff I needed for school.

Biggars was the store my Dad bought our first television in 1952. It was just before TV came to Scotland and we used to sit and watch the test card as sometimes there would be a short program testing the airwaves. Biggars on Sauchiehall Street near Charing Cross was where we always went for our media stuff!

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 24th Apr 2012, 11:39pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (possilboy @ 24th Apr 2012, 04:01am) *
here you are danny

Hi Possilboy

Thank you for the photo, but I dont think it is a photo of the Biggars shop I went to in the 1940's. It looks like the shop Biggars moved to further up Sauchiehall Street.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 25th Apr 2012, 10:42pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (possilboy @ 24th Apr 2012, 01:46am) *
danny h you are right biggers was across the road from a picture hall forget the name mt da took me to see tommy steel movie in the late fifties also next to biggers was a shop that sold highland dress

Hello again Possilboy

The picture hall you mention was the Lascala. You could watch the film and get waitress service at their raised restaurant on the right hand side of the cinema. It is now a book shop.

By the way you will probably have noticed that the cars in the photo you sent in, were a lot more modern than 1940's cars.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 27th Apr 2012, 07:24am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
QUOTE (GG @ 22nd Apr 2012, 09:39pm) *
Is it this one, Jupiter? Great photo! I think the location must be gone now because of the motorway? It's 425 Sauchiehall St, Shop front, music, Ewing & Macintosh, Charing Cross.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...amp;t=4&x=1

(Notice how quango bosses put a 'The Mitchell' watermark across our photos on Virtual Mitchell after libraries were moved out of council control. Probably paving the way for paying for access to electronic content now! angry.gif )

GG.

No it was because people were ripping the piss by plastering them all over the internet. I note that Glasgow Guide also has its name on photographs which means one has to put them into Photoshop before placing them on another forum. Try "borrowing" SCRAN photos and see how long it takes them to send you a note. You'll admire their way with words.

Glasgow Life should be seeking some cash to update and promote the Virtual Mitchell website.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 27th Apr 2012, 07:28am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 23rd Apr 2012, 04:39pm) *
Indeed he was Joop but I daernie mention his ethnicity otherwise im sure to be shouted doon as a racist laugh.gif

Shhh. Silver was white.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 27th Apr 2012, 07:30am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 24th Apr 2012, 01:01am) *

In those days it was 12 inch records playing one tune on one side and another tune on the other side. The speed was 78 r.p.m. There were cubicles downstairs and you were allowed to use them to listen to a record before deciding to purchase it. As I recall the records cost around about 4 shillings (20p). A tradesman's weekly wage was about 5.00. In those days the best sellers were big bands like Glenn Miller, Harry James, Benny Goodman, and a mad American drummer, Gene Krupa.

The best selling vocalists were Frank Sinatra and Perry Como and Bing Crosby.

I wonder if many old timers are still around who remember the original Biggars?

Danny Harris

Danny I think the 12" singles were mostly classical pieces but the pop and jazz stuff came out on 10" . I admire your taste.

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Apr 2012, 07:44am
Post #43

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 27th Apr 2012, 07:29am) *
No it was because people were ripping the piss by plastering them all over the internet. I note that Glasgow Guide also has its name on photographs which means one has to put them into Photoshop before placing them on another forum. Try "borrowing" SCRAN photos and see how long it takes them to send you a note. You'll admire their way with words.

Glasgow Life should be seeking some cash to update and promote the Virtual Mitchell website.

So people are sharing photos that are owned by them ... I don't see a problem there.

Let's hope Glasgow Life is a bit more creative in raising funds than they are with the Essence of Beauty exhibition.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Music shop guy*
post 9th Jun 2012, 11:22pm
Post #44

QUOTE (lesley brown @ 22nd Apr 2012, 12:23pm) *
Hi Bilbo,
GG done a bit of research and he reckons the shop that is now Biggars was once Hutchisons. I thought it was something along those lines. Unfortunately I don't know many folks in the Airdrie area. My husband is originally from there but I was born on bread in Toonheid Glasgow. Still canny get in to the swing of staying at the back of beyond lol

Hi there

This discussion brought back memories for a (then) 14 yr old pressing his nose aginst the glass looking at fender Stratocasters! Starting from Charing cross, in the 70's you had Biggars on the right hand side. Keep walking then you had Largs Music Centre on the left which was a mix of music shop and white goods store. You could buy a Marshall amp or a fridge! (Sod the fridge... bought my first sunburst strat here on HP!)

Cuthbertsons was round the corner in Cambridge Street and attached to Littlewoods. It did guitars and hi fi's

Hope this helps!

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 3rd Jul 2012, 10:05am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (ilookedup @ 23rd Apr 2012, 02:08pm) *
The Apollo was Greens Playhouse in renfield street.

I saw the Stones there. I guess at the same time as below. Turned the lights on 3 songs from the end! Might still have been Green's at that time.

when the venue changed from being greens playhouse to the apollo centre in was owned by unicorn leisure who owned the nearby white elephant disco. I worked in the w.e. as a steward but if the apollo was busy with a big band then i would be sent there to work.....great fun and met many of the big bands of the time laugh.gif

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.