Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Music Shop In Sauchiehall Street?, Can anyone remember its name?
lesley brown
post 22nd Apr 2012, 11:12am
Post #16

Visitor
Member No.: 10,927
Hi Bilbo, Unless the name has just stuck in my head from the stories my Dad used to tell. Sauchiehall Street was a regular occurance every Saturday since before I could even walk.

--------------------
Marriage is a wonderful invention but then again so is a bicycle repair kit.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maryhillresident
post 22nd Apr 2012, 04:56pm
Post #17

Settling In
Member No.: 12,590
QUOTE (lesley brown @ 22nd Apr 2012, 10:52am) *
Thanks Bilbo I think it is Cuthbertsons I am thinking of. Is that where Biggars is now ?

Cuthbertson's were in Cambridge Street, I think. Just about where Greggs shop is. When you entered the shop you had to go down about a dozen wide steps - my sister made a grand entrance once by falling down them head first !

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 22nd Apr 2012, 07:28pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Image 89 on Sauchiehall Street Virtual Library is nic pic of music shop.
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 22nd Apr 2012, 08:25pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Talking about music shops in Sauchiehall Street,I was looking through the images of Sauchiehall Street on the Mitchell library came across Clydesdales Electical goods shop.That took me back to my youth when my mate and I queued up overnight for tickets for the Rolling Stones concert in the Apollo.I remember a lot of banter that night,very orderly and the tickets at face value.
And a great concert,great seats Mick Jagger in pink satin suit and skip cap.It was a gas rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Apr 2012, 08:34pm
Post #20

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 22nd Apr 2012, 07:33pm) *
Image 89 on Sauchiehall Street Virtual Library is nic pic of music shop. rolleyes.gif

Is it this one, Jupiter? Great photo! I think the location must be gone now because of the motorway? It's 425 Sauchiehall St, Shop front, music, Ewing & Macintosh, Charing Cross.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...amp;t=4&x=1

(Notice how quango bosses put a 'The Mitchell' watermark across our photos on Virtual Mitchell after libraries were moved out of council control. Probably paving the way for paying for access to electronic content now! angry.gif )

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 22nd Apr 2012, 08:41pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Hi GG, this is the one.A very good picture.There was certainly some special shops in Sauchiehall Street,some I can remember , others are a bit older than me.Ive been trying to find another music shop pic for our poster which was between Rose Street and Cambridge Street on the north side of the street.

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Apr 2012, 08:42pm
Post #22

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
See also Biggar Music Shop in Cambridge Street from 1963.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 22nd Apr 2012, 11:59pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
(Notice how quango bosses put a 'The Mitchell' watermark across our photos on Virtual Mitchell after libraries were moved out of council control. Probably paving the way for paying for access to electronic content now! angry.gif )

GG.

Would you rather that sites like "Glesga Pals" were able to lift pics from the VM and slap their "copyright" on them? I'm much more concerned about exhibitions at Kelvingrove where we're being charged to see paintings that we already own.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/our-...es/default.aspx

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 23rd Apr 2012, 12:04am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
QUOTE (GG @ 22nd Apr 2012, 09:39pm) *
Is it this one, Jupiter? Great photo! I think the location must be gone now because of the motorway? It's 425 Sauchiehall St, Shop front, music, Ewing & Macintosh, Charing Cross.
GG.

Nah, it's this one -directly opposite Waterson's. Nice orderly queue for the Stones.

Durachdan,

Eddy

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 23rd Apr 2012, 10:21am
Post #25

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 22nd Apr 2012, 09:30pm) *
Talking about music shops in Sauchiehall Street,I was looking through the images of Sauchiehall Street on the Mitchell library came across Clydesdales Electical goods shop.That took me back to my youth when my mate and I queued up overnight for tickets for the Rolling Stones concert in the Apollo.I remember a lot of banter that night,very orderly and the tickets at face value.
And a great concert,great seats Mick Jagger in pink satin suit and skip cap.It was a gas rolleyes.gif

Jupiter, I was also in the queue! The queue stretched along renfrew street, down west nile street, into sauchiehall street and renfield street. They had to open the ticket office at 4.00am because of the chance of the front of the queue meeting the end of the queue. lol

I paid 2.50 for my tickets as all of the cheapest ones had been sold. It was more than I expected to pay and a group of us had to walk it all the way back to Priesthill and Nitshill. Goats Head Soup!!! lol

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 23rd Apr 2012, 11:31am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Jim,I dont remember the price of the tickets but I do recall our seats were in the stalls and were pretty good.I think we got 4 tickets each and we had a great time at the concert.I even got a new leather safari jacket from a gents outfitters,in West Nile Street,cant recall the name but just down from Bath Street if anyone recalls.It was the bees knees.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 23rd Apr 2012, 12:35pm
Post #27

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Please tell me where is (was) the Apollo? I don't think it was around in my heyday!

In the 50s, most of the shows were held in the Empire and prior to leaving Glasgow in 1963, the bigger shows were held in the Odeon.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
ilookedup
post 23rd Apr 2012, 12:53pm
Post #28

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,232
The Apollo was Greens Playhouse in renfield street.

I saw the Stones there. I guess at the same time as below. Turned the lights on 3 songs from the end! Might still have been Green's at that time.

--------------------
Breathe in for passion, breathe out for joy.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 23rd Apr 2012, 01:33pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
ilookedup,you may well be correct on the venue name.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 23rd Apr 2012, 02:31pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 23rd Apr 2012, 02:38pm) *
ilookedup,you may well be correct on the venue name.

He is 100% correct, my brothers and I used to force the emergency exit side door, creep upstairs to the boxes and watch the picture until we would be caught without fail and slung oot laugh.gif

Never mind the Stone I remember going to see the Lone Ranger there live on stage sometime in the fifties wub.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.