Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Music Shop In Sauchiehall Street?, Can anyone remember its name?
lesley brown
post 22nd Apr 2012, 09:55am
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 10,927
Can anyone remember the name of the big music shop on the left hand side of Sauchiehall Street near Charing X. I think it was next to the toy shop The Walrus and Carpenter. I was telling my Grandkids my Dad used to take me in their every Saturday in the 70's for a look. He bought me a few presents from there which include a melodica and a acoustic guitar. Needless to say I was rubbish at both. I think part of the name may consist of Robertson but am not 100% sure. If anyone has any ideas can they please leave on this wall. I will be thinking about this all day now. I will know straight away on e I hear. Many thanks.

--------------------
Marriage is a wonderful invention but then again so is a bicycle repair kit.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 22nd Apr 2012, 10:00am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Don´t you mean Biggar´s, which is still there. Their instrument department used to be round the corner in Douglas Street but is now incorporated in the main store.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
lesley brown
post 22nd Apr 2012, 10:09am
Post #3

Visitor
Hi Bilbo, Yes I think it is the same shop we are talking about but for some reason I thought it was called something else before Biggars ? I could possibly be wrong though. I wish my old Dad was still here he would have clarified right away. I was thinking along the lines of Robertsons or Hutchisons ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Apr 2012, 10:23am
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Wnat about ... Casa Casettes ... just about to search for it?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Apr 2012, 10:28am
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon
Yes, that was the name – I remember that the sign for the shop had beige writing on a brown background! It was a very 'posh' record shop, selling Scottish, folk and classical mainly, at least in its later years.

I found the following recollection of the shop on another forum site:
God Casa Cassettes! I loved that shop...it was kind of exotic as the whole shop was run by sophisticated older women. I'm coming up for 42 now and that wee shop brings back deep memories for me... and all of them good. When I was 8 I stayed off school one Friday in January or February 1978 and my Uncle Jack (not my real uncle but one of my Ma's alcoholic pals) took me to see Star Wars at the Odeon on Renfield St. It blew my mind and he sat beside me drinking cans of carlies he had bought from an off licence. We both enjoyed it. What a day!

I pestered and pestered my maw to get me the tape of Star Wars and I finally got both tapes of Star Wars and Empire for Xmas 1980 and she bought them for me from Casa Cassettes...we just lived a short way away near St Georges Cross. Well those tapes (which I still have as well as the original tape of Jedi which I also bought from Casa) lead onto other things. That same year I went to see Superman...and well you know the story. The more film music I heard the more I loved the sound of the orchestra...I fell victim to it's charms. ...

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...1&archive=0

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lesley brown
post 22nd Apr 2012, 10:32am
Post #6

Visitor
Hi GG, I recognise the name u suggested but don't thinks it's that. I have a feeling it will come back to me when I least expect.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lesley brown
post 22nd Apr 2012, 10:40am
Post #7

Visitor
Wow GG, Thanks for the information. I'm slightly older than u 48. I remember going to the Odeon on a Saturday morning and paying 10p to get in. It was a great opportunity for yer maw tae get rid of u for a couple of hours. We would watch Flash Gordon and a few others in black and white I may add. Awe these were the good auld days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 22nd Apr 2012, 10:41am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
I don´t know the name Casa Cassettes, but surely this was purely a record and cassette shop, not one with musical instruments. I do recall a record shop in that location in the 80s- it was a great place to find rarer vinyl of folk and jazz. Don´t remember the name but once saw Jack Milroy in there.

I still think that Lesley is thinking of Biggar´s but maybe her memory is playing tricks and thinking of Cuthbertson´s or Paterson´s.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
lesley brown
post 22nd Apr 2012, 10:47am
Post #9

Visitor
Thanks Bilbo I think it is Cuthbertsons I am thinking of. Is that where Biggars is now ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 22nd Apr 2012, 10:56am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
No. Biggar´s is where it always has been. I can´t for the life of me recall where Cuthbertson´s was- just the name sprang from the dark recesses of my old brain. Paterson´s was at corner of Buchanan Street and West George Street.

BTW I see you are in Airdrie. I was born in Plains and my family are still there. Lots of relations in Airdrie district.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Apr 2012, 10:57am
Post #11

Administrator
Group Icon
Sorry, I didn't read your first post properly – I was thinking of a record shop!

I think bilbo is correct, and the music shop is where Biggars is now as this shop was right next door to the The Walrus and Carpenter toy shop.

Searching a companies database, I found that Biggars could previously have been called Hutchisons and, before that, Scotia Music?

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lesley brown
post 22nd Apr 2012, 11:01am
Post #12

Visitor
Thanks again GG. Hutchisons definately rung a bell. May I just say GG boards is amazing and thank u for all the hard work u put in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Apr 2012, 11:04am
Post #13

Administrator
Group Icon
Thanks Lesley, very kind of you, and I'm glad we were able to help. smile.gif

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 22nd Apr 2012, 11:08am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Lesley, you must be older than you make out, if you recognize the name Hutchison - I am now knocking 70 and it was Biggar´s when I was at school in the 50s. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lesley brown
post 22nd Apr 2012, 11:08am
Post #15

Visitor
Hi Bilbo,
GG done a bit of research and he reckons the shop that is now Biggars was once Hutchisons. I thought it was something along those lines. Unfortunately I don't know many folks in the Airdrie area. My husband is originally from there but I was born on bread in Toonheid Glasgow. Still canny get in to the swing of staying at the back of beyond lol

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.