Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvin Dale Paper Mill, Same
frankbuntain
post 5th Jun 2006, 10:12am
Post #31

Settling In
Member No.: 3,412
Hi there I lived in 12 Kelvindale Cottages which is part of the William Collins Papermill which was part of the Associated Papermills Group. I had Grandfather (Willie DOWLING), Uncles(Tommy & Willie DOWLING), Aunt (Betty Miekle Nee DOWLING), Mother (Mary Buntain Nee DOWLING), Sisters (Maureen & Liz) and myself Frank Buntain working in the mill. There was housed in an area called the glen which were abandoned and the workers moved to the Cottages and "Buildings" just off Kelvindale Road. Names that I can recall are: McCabe, Nimmow, Hamilton, Neeson, Stallon and Russell. It was a great place to growup in we had our own hall where the adults had things lick whist drives and my aunt had her wedding reception. We as dale kids were always treated well by the mill workers and I remember playing on the 9 hole pitch & putt course before it died of neglect. The mill was not part of the Dawsholm Paper Mill. If you have any phots of the mill I would be interested to see them. You can contact me at frankbuntain@hotmail.com.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 9th Jun 2006, 07:59pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Hi Doc...If I say I will do something then I will do it,even if it might take me a little while.
Its Friday in the UK and the weather is beautiful,has been all week....hot wall to wall sunshine,been eating out on the patio everynight this week just enjoying the rays....tonights is Friday and my mum likes to go for a glass of wine with her business mates...usually the Byres Rd but tonight Lock 27 on the canal so my bro and I biked along to walk her home...we stopped off on Kelvindale Rd to take some pictures...somehow I don't thin'k you will recognise it much but maybe you will....this is Kelvindale 2006 if you recognise anything I would be really impressed!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 9th Jun 2006, 08:05pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
I did'nt know if i could post again in here but looks like I can so I will post everything I have...

Kelvindale Rd from what was once Balgray Farm

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 9th Jun 2006, 08:14pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Havin a G&T on the lock...the gasometers are just about to go!!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 9th Jun 2006, 08:20pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
sT gregory's

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 9th Jun 2006, 11:17pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Ross is St Gregory's the chapel in Maryhill?
I was at a weddin in there once and this looks familiar .
By the way good for you guys for walkin yer mum home, an so ye's should! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 10th Jun 2006, 05:49am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Its on Kelvindale Rd but on the Maryhill side of the river..am sure Mags has mentioned it before....I have never been in the grounds before but its really nice..they have a wee grotto or something ...pretty cool!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 10th Jun 2006, 05:52am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
THIS IS 40 &41 but the street numbers are all over the place we can't figure out where they go. all the new flats opposite are like 200's or something.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 10th Jun 2006, 05:55am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Kelvindale Rd from Cleveden

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 10th Jun 2006, 06:17am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
All thats left of the bridges to no where.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doc
post 12th Jun 2006, 07:33am
Post #41

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,329
Ross, many thanks for posting the photos of Kelvindale. I did try to reply earlier, but message seems to have disappeared into the ether!

Wow, not much like i remember things - definitely no high rise flats. The 3 tall ones appear to be on what was once a really large workshop area - railways workshops i think. The other (less tall ones in the background) appear to be where they were demolishing old tenaments - but I'm talking 1958-59 !!!!!!

Also none of the buildings on the right side of Kelvindale Road where there from memory - is/was there a railway culvert behind those places??

I do remember the old bridge though ... and the Kelvin... looking at the photos I could smell the damp mossy smell of the river and hear the water....

Not sure where our old house was - but the redbrick 2 storey (flats?) just before the bridge look very familiar - but hard to tell, as I was only 5 or 6 at the time....

This has certainly got me curious - only thing for it is that I will have to come and look around myself. A six month visit to Glasgow (and Europe) sounds just the thing. Thinking about a motorbike tour of Europe (summer!!!)....

many thanks - please post anything else you have; it's all fascinating.

I remember there was a big park (estate?) along the river with what at the time seemed like a huge chesnut grove, tennis courts, stone walls etc..... it was to the left at the river from the bridge on Kelvindale Rd - probably 2 or 3 kilometres along the river past where the old papermill was.

cheers to all

Doc smile.gif

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 16th Jun 2006, 08:50pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Am sorry Doc I can't tell you anymore about the area...this is how I always remember it being but I go looking all the time for information about how it used to look...I know from my friend Mags it was pretty different 50 yrs ago but I have never found any pictures that show you how it looked...well apart from the old aerial ones I posted...Am going to a few lectures this week about the area at the west end festival..so I will try and ask a few questions but these guys are so clued up on it I always feel stupid...
Would be cool if you took your bike around Scotland...my uncle has a bike...freaks my mum out if he takes me out on it. You could have a great time touring Glasgow and Scotland...this is one of the most beautiful places on the planet...to be at places on the west coast as the sun goes down defies anything you can imagine..to stand in Edinburgh as the tattoo blasts out as the lights dim will bring tears to any real Scot....to walk the the course at St Andrews and appreciate among all the foreigners that this is your hallowed ground as a golfer or just to stand on the ramparts of Edinburgh Castle as the 1 o'clock booms across the capital or even be Stirling at the Wallace at feel Scotlands history surround you...to understand why Scots will always be Scots and proud of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doc
post 29th Jun 2006, 01:09am
Post #43

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,329
QUOTE (rossmckenzie @ 10th Jun 2006, 07:12 AM)
Kelvindale Rd from Cleveden

My brother visited Scotland 2 or 3 years back and he just sent me a photo of the house we used to live in - the one in the centre of the photo Ross has posted here look like it is the one.

Great stuff...

cheers

Doc

+Quote Post
*PHYLLIS NEESON*
post 28th May 2007, 09:12pm
Post #44

QUOTE (rossmckenzie @ 10th Jun 2006, 06:09 AM) *
THIS IS 40 &41 but the street numbers are all over the place we can't figure out where they go. all the new flats opposite are like 200's or something.

hi there, this is a picture of where i was born in number 41. i lived there with my mum and dad and brother Ian. My father George and his father worked in the papermill for many years. I have fond memories of my growing up there as it was a safe place to be.

phyllis neeson

+Quote Post
*tombomb*
post 15th Jun 2007, 02:32pm
Post #45

hi lennox in maryhill there were two papermills one called dawsholm the other called kelvindale both were on the banks of the river kelvin dawsholm making only brown paper k/dale making all kinds of paper from coloured to paper to paper for the bank of ceylon my father was the trade union chairman for many years i also worked in k/dale for a short time i think the photo you have is of d /holm not a very big mill whereas k/dale was much bigger and is now houses but some of the original workers dwellings are still there today the name of k/dale was hugh collins and was on kelvindale road d/holm was on d/holm road my fathers name was thomas james hope this helps

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.