Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvin Dale Paper Mill, Same
*asbo*
post 18th Feb 2006, 06:29pm
Post #16

Please don't shout Aaron.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Bob Thomson*
post 26th Mar 2006, 04:14pm
Post #17

Re Kelvindale Paper Mill. Just seen the comments for first time. I worked in the laboratory at Kelvindale Mills from '42 -49 apart from spell in army. Scorgie was mill chemist and my boss and later became general mill manager. I headed South to paper mills in England and lost touch . I well remember Willie Davidson, salle foreman and part time football referee, lived in the mill cottages.
All long gone I am afraid, at 78 I have only lovely memories. Bob. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 27th Mar 2006, 01:13pm
Post #18

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
re kelvindale mill bob ,my late aunt jeanie may worked in the mill.probably in your time ,she was supervisor ,i think my mother worked there as well ,her name was christina anna may

+Quote Post
Roth
post 27th Mar 2006, 02:02pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,153
Aaron, the "salle" where all the girls worked sorting the paper was next to the laboratory where I worked. We could be related !

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 27th Mar 2006, 02:31pm
Post #20

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
hi roth
my auntie jeanie may was a dedicated spinster,she even knocked back ma da huh.gif

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 31st Mar 2006, 10:18pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
These are the old cottages on Kelvindale Rd just before you cross the Kelvin and we always thought these were part of the Kelvindale Mill.....all the flats which surround these cottages were built in the 80's I think and the flats have sometimes been flooded when the Kelvin bursts its banks...I think it flooded here about 95 when the Halfpenny bridge was swept away.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
*Paul Rutherford*
post 15th May 2006, 12:12pm
Post #22

QUOTE (Bob Thomson @ 26th Mar 2006, 05:31 PM)
Re Kelvindale Paper Mill. Just seen the comments for first time. I worked in the laboratory at Kelvindale Mills from '42 -49 apart from spell in army. Scorgie was mill chemist and my boss and later became general mill manager. I headed South to paper mills in England and lost touch . I well remember Willie Davidson, salle foreman and part time football referee, lived in the mill cottages.
All long gone I am afraid, at 78 I have only lovely memories. Bob. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Bob Thomson @ 26th Mar 2006, 05:31 PM)
Re Kelvindale Paper Mill.  Just seen the comments for first time. I worked in the laboratory at Kelvindale Mills from '42 -49 apart from spell in army.  Scorgie was mill chemist and my boss and later became general mill manager.  I headed South to paper mills in England and lost touch . I well  remember Willie Davidson, salle foreman and part time football referee, lived in the mill cottages.
All long gone I am afraid, at 78 I have only lovely memories.  Bob.

Bob thompson (or anyone else) .. My father Joe Rutherford worked at the Kelvin Dale Paper Mill from at least the early 1950s until we moved to Australia in 1959. As a 5 year old I remember going down to the Mill after the day shift and spending time with my dad - he was a foreman/leading hand.

Did anyone know Joe and Mary Rutherford? We Lived in a big house up on the hill (on Kelvindale rd I think). Opposite used to be a railway line. The house was divided into two separate levels. We had the ground floor - it had, I think 3 bedrooms and a big entry hall coming off the front (facing Kelvindale Rd.

It would be amazing to find someone who new my family. I had (have!) an older sister -Rosemary. My mums family name was Gall, and her parents lived around Maryhill, I think.

Hope someone can respond.
cheers

Paul

(Canberra, Australia)

+Quote Post
Doc
post 15th May 2006, 12:41pm
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,329
QUOTE (Guest_Irene @ 9th Feb 2006, 12:34 AM)
I have just stumbled on the discussion about Kelvindale Paper Mill ...  The Glen, The Cottages, The Buildings and the three houses on Kelvindale Road.  The Manager of the mill stayed in the biggest house and it was eventually converted into two houses and my own family lived in the first floor conversion until my father retired. 

Well, ... I think I lived on the groundfloor for about 4 years until we left in 1959 to move to Australia. My dad worked in the Kelvin Dale Mill - his name was Joseph RUTHERFORD..... laugh.gif

Anyone know him or my mum (Mary Rutherford nee Gall)?

Doc

+Quote Post
*Byrne*
post 26th May 2006, 01:01pm
Post #24

I currently live at 41 Kelvindale Buildings and am very interested in its history. The couple who owned the flat some years ago were hefferman or somethin like that (began with a H and ended in Man. I think they both worked in the mill. Did anyone know them??? I have seen a few old photos and articles and it is fascinating. There seems to have been a lot of railway lines going in and out of the mill and was there not an old estate house further up the hill?? Think it is knocked down now.

+Quote Post
byrne
post 26th May 2006, 01:08pm
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,377
I currently live at 41 Kelvindale Buildings and am very interested in its history. The couple who owned the flat some years ago were hefferman or somethin like that (began with a H and ended in Man. I think they both worked in the mill. Did anyone know them??? I have seen a few old photos and articles and it is fascinating. There seems to have been a lot of railway lines going in and out of the mill and was there not an old estate house further up the hill?Think it is knocked down now. Anyone have any comments??

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 26th May 2006, 07:09pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
You can still see the remains of old railway bridges crossing the Kelvin between Kelvindale and Kirklee and there is a picture on the Maryhill Rd tenement post in which you can see Kelvindale Rd and the old Kelvindale House which was down here somewhere.
Am fascinated by all this area as well and here is a picture which I know you will recognise because it really has not changed very much at all,apart from the traffic!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
byrne
post 28th May 2006, 03:09pm
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,377
Nice picture.

The folk who used to own the flat were infact Wedderburn and not hefferman, anyone know them??

+Quote Post
Doc
post 29th May 2006, 12:45am
Post #28

Unpacking
I used to live in ground floor level of the big mill-owned house on top of the hill on Kelvindale Rd - but it was about 47 years ago so the memory needs jogging at bit!

Does anyone have photos of these houses etc? Or the view down towards the cottages and the mill? There used to be a large open common to the left of the big house (facing down towards the cottages and mill).

I remember there were numerous rail lines (and yards) on both sides of the Kelvin. There were definitely several tacks and marshalling areas on the Kelvindale side of the river - I remember a line going into the mill. These came off the main line (I think) that ran parallel to Kelvindale Rd (on then opposite side from the big house etc).

As kids we were always in trouble for playing in the railway yards .... and getting into parked engines and guards vans..... don't know how we didn't get killed in retrospect. My poor parents!! ohmy.gif

cheers

Doc

this is a great site btw.

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 29th May 2006, 08:09am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Doc,welcome to the GG...Its a pretty awsome site and you will learn loads of stuff on here.
I live in the west end at Kirklee...I think its cool when people tell you about what the place used to be like....I will post u some pictures of Kelvindale Rd now when I have some free time and I have a few old pictures as well..donno if they relate to your time or not but I love seeing old pictures of this place,,,I have posted this before on the Maryhill post but I will post it again...its Kelvindale in the 40's

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doc
post 29th May 2006, 01:42pm
Post #30

Unpacking
Ross

thanx for your offer to post some pics of Kelvindale Rd - that would be great if you get a chance. I will see if i can find some old photos of the house we lived in - will have to chase up my sister who is the keeper of the old photos. Since my Dad passed away a couple of years back I have really missed all his old stories about Glasgow etc. I've started to think a lot about all the things my mum and dad did, and why they left Scotland. I think deep down it broke my mum's heart, though she would have never said so.... immigration is a difficult thing.

Does anyone know if there is a good on-line map or street diretcory of Glasgow? My memory is a bit on the dodgy side and it would help me locate where the many things I do remember fit together.....

And, yes, I'm sure i will learn alot from this board. I must say I rather like the sorts of things people say.... a lot of it reflects good stout hearts and serious thinking. I have spent hours reading back through posts.... who need novels, hey???

cheers to all

Doc

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.