Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvin Dale Paper Mill, Same
Lennox
post 21st Aug 2004, 02:18pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Hello All , I don't know if this is the place for this or not, but here goes, and as warm & helpful as everyone here is I am sure someone will have some knowledge:
I am now on the next quest for info trying to find out how long the Paper mill was in business,(Off Gairbraid Ave) my Granda work there as did my mum, and her sisters,and her brothers, and I am guessing half of Maryhill, My GUncle was a manager for many years (Granda wouldn't take that job). My aunt sent me some birth certificates this week and in 1916, when my Granda was born his Dad was a "Papermill Worker" I am guessing this was the same one, I don't remember two of them when Iwas growing up..
Scotslad , My granda would have liked you , as he was always taking loads of pictures of all around Glasgow, everyplace he went his camera went with him, and as I lived here when he died I never got one of them , so keep posting your great photo's.
Thanks , Lennox

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 21st Aug 2004, 03:04pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Hey Lennox..even my Dad does'nt remember the paper mills but cos of people like Wee Mags we know where they were.Its all flats today that date from the 70/80'maybe and some old cottages on Kelvindale Rd.Some of the Maryhill guys like Mags will be able to tell you stuff about them cos they remember loads of stuff about what this place used to look like.

Rossy

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 23rd Aug 2004, 12:50am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I bet your relitives walk down Guthrie st to get to the mills ,I remember them well,I remeber walking by the big doors in the summer they kept them open ,and you could see inside what a marvelouse site to see big rolls of paper being swung on some rig that ran on a rail from one side of the building to the other,my favourite story of the people going to the mill is one day my young sister came in crying and we said :" whats Up Cathy?" "That man sais you didnae dry ma hair and thats why its rusty" [she had red hair] so my wee sister saw him at night when he came up the road and she shouted to him "Away and Boil yer heid mister"and everyone one was laughing ,my mom told him what she told her and the next day he came with a bag of dolly mixtures for his wee rusty heided lassie

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 26th Aug 2004, 10:42pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Hello , Mags you are right it was Guthrie Street, I just could not remember the name I am not sure how long my "family" worked there but I do remember my mother & aunt working there, Iwas about 10, when they both worked on the "swing shift" we kids got to stay at Granda & Grannies, I always loved going there.... I also know that in 1975, it was still open, and my Granda still worked there then , I went to see him at work, before I went back south. sad.gif

Lennox

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 27th Aug 2004, 02:10am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
the people who worked in the paper mills came up Gairbraid ave down Guthrie St and right turn onto Kelvindale Rd, if you look up the Maryhill posts you will see aphoto of the cottages at the begining of the road that led to the mill biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Tom
post 28th Aug 2004, 06:48pm
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 65
Hi Mags My brother-in law was a manager at the Kelvindale Paper Mill untill he retired his name was Charly Boyle.
This is an old picture of the area,it dosent look like you could build flats or anything else here.
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 28th Aug 2004, 07:19pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
thanks Tom was that taken on the side of the mill? or the opposite one dry.gif .I remeber seeing all the junk coming out of the mill into the Kelvin

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 28th Aug 2004, 10:15pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Hello, Mags & Tom. Looking at the photo of the river, it brings back some memories: My Uncle was a manager also at the mill till he retired/ mill closed... and my grandda worked there as long as I can remember.
Lennox

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom
post 3rd Sep 2004, 02:37am
Post #9

Super Resident
Member No.: 65
After checking I believe the paper mill was called the Dawsholm Paper Mill

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 3rd Sep 2004, 02:46am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
yer right Tom

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 4th Sep 2004, 12:47pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Tom & mags , you are the best, it was called Dawsholm Papermill, but I awlays knew it s "Kelvin Dale" It is surpining what you remember when you see it on paper.... While on the subject, any one remember the "Rubber works " in Shuna Street, Mc Leanands, I think unsure.gif
Lennox

--------------------

+Quote Post
flim
post 4th Sep 2004, 09:08pm
Post #12

Resident
Member No.: 1,315
Hi Lennox I think it was called McLellans Rubber Works and it backed on to the Forth and Clyde Canal ...Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 4th Sep 2004, 09:11pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Hi film thanks for the correct name, I knew it backed on to the canal, my grandparents lived in Shuna Street, so I remember it well, just could not recall the name.

Lennox

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Guest_Irene*
post 8th Feb 2006, 11:17pm
Post #14

I have just stumbled on the discussion about Kelvindale Paper Mill and I think there is a lot of confusion between two papermills. There was Dalsholm Papermill and Kelvindale PaperMill. I have difficulty recognising the photo as Kelvindale Papermill as I was born in the mill cottages and grew up there leaving when I was 23 years old in 1963. The Managers of the Kelvindale Papermill during that time were. Mr Sandilands followed by Mr. Rankin then Mr. Booth and finally Mr McKechnie. My father was a foreman, papermaker and worked in the mill from aged 13 years until he retired at aged 65. The Charlie Boyle I remember was not a manager. The mill houses were a very close knit community and I had lots of relatives who worked in the mill. I knew every bit of the geography of the mill site. The Glen, The Cottages, The Buildings and the three houses on Kelvindale Road. The Manager of the mill stayed in the biggest house and it was eventually converted into two houses and my own family lived in the first floor conversion until my father retired. In the summer sometimes the girls who did the overhauling of the paper to look for flaws would open the side door and you could watch them working. they wore heavy felt aprons to protect themselves from the paper cutting them. I remember if I had to take a message to my father being allowed into to the machine house where they made the paper. It was an awesome sight. These huge machine making the paper and the noise was deafening. No wonder the men in the machine house all shouted at you when they spoke.

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 9th Feb 2006, 05:21pm
Post #15

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
re charlie boyle.papermill.i worked in the dalsholm paper mill till it closed ,and charlie boyle was my boss .he later moved to the alliance box in possil.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.