Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St. Augustines School In Milton, Why was it demolished?
ExPOW
post 27th Aug 2012, 08:58pm
Post #31

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
Noble...

the link you're looking for is here. Just click on 'Team' below. Scroll down to the 10th Post.

Team

If you just want to see the picture, I'll add it here. It's about St. Augustine's so it's relevant anyway.

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 28th Aug 2012, 10:04pm
Post #32

Super Resident
Got a few more names courtesy of 'gardenqueen'.
Thank you kindly.

Bob Devlin had a fantastic ear.
He could pick me out of our class when we sang the School Anthem, "Magne Pater Augustine" in Latin.
I of course, was doing "Deutchland Deutchland - Uber Alles" in German.
Same tune, different lyrics.
He pointed right at me with his right hand as he continued to slice the air with his baton unaffected so I switched instantly to the hymn.

He just could not muster any cooperation from us until one day, it was suggested to him that he LET us choose the songs.....which we did. We all settled down and chimed in when it came to 'The Battle Hymn Of The Republic', 'Shannendoah', 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home' and that ever-popular Red Army Ditty..."Kalinka".

I recall when the period bell went and we hit the corridor, there was a vast scurrying of many feet back into the Science Rooms, Prefect's and Staff Rooms and Reception Area.
I think that day, Wee Boab floated on air.

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
**jay dee**
post 7th Sep 2012, 08:05pm
Post #33

Hi Ex POW.Just found this thread.
Here are a few more names from that time and place. See if you can remember the faces in your memory
Barry Fitzcharles (not Fitzgerald)
Paul Daley
Martin Docherty
Jim Doyle (red hair)
James Doyle (curly hair)
Peter Griffin
Frank Hawthorn
Robert Jenkins
Gerry Kerr
James Lynch
Brian McEwan
Jonah McFaul
Arthur McKeown
Gerry Nelson (sadly no longer with us)
Robert O'Donnell
Ray Scott
John Walker

and the ladies
Angela Breare
Mary Brotherhood
Patricia Cochrane
Maureen Frazer
Irene Lehman
Kathleen O'Neil
Philomena Roper
Katy Stevenson

I HAVE had playmates, I have had companions,
In my days of childhood, in my joyful school-days—
All, all are gone, the old familiar faces.

+Quote Post
balornockrobin
post 10th Sep 2012, 11:16am
Post #34

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,522
Hi, ex-pow.
I recognise just about all the names you listed as they were in my 'year'. Sadly, I wasn't there - perhaps because I moved to another school in 1967. I was going to suggest Robert Miller as the guy who's name you couldn't remember, but you beat me to it. I'm friendly with Tom Kerr and Alan McKenna and we meet up sometimes. Here's some other names you might remember that weren't on your list:
Sandy Pontin
Jackie Daly
Martin Daly
Arthur McKeown
Willie Whyte
Willie Morgan
Eric Donnelly
John McKinlay
Barry Fitzcharles
Willie Brennan
Matt Henney
Mark McLaughlin
Robert Cassidy
Willie Laidlaw (left at end of 1st year)
Tam McHugh
Robert O'Donnell
Jim Hutchison
Jimmy McCartan
Willie McClory
George Rennie
Michael Dunn
Robert Jenkins
John Moore
Jim Doyle
Jimmy Doyle
John Walker
'Ted' Alsop
Thomas Campbell
John Harrity
Are you one of the above?
Sorry to tell you that John Rae died a few years ago, in Seattle.
I moved to Shawlands and attended Holyrood. I went to mass one day and found that Bob Devlin was the choirmaster - I ended up as his Co-op milkboy! I used to chat to him and he told me about Des Duffy. He actually drowned on a Glasgow schools trip to Blankenberge in Belgium attempting to save the life of a Holyrood girl. She survived.

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 10th Sep 2012, 09:36pm
Post #35

Super Resident
Thanks for the reply balornockrobin. Very sad about John Rae. He was a very nice guy I recall. Seattle isn't that far from me.

Your corrections have been applied to my list. I had Barry 'F's name nearly right.

When I listed the names it was with the intention of recalling those classmates in SB1 of our year and it was a pretty good attempt but the list is now in better shape because of your input.

Sadly, 'gardenqueen' on here informed me that Gerald Nelson is also not with us any longer. He passed away some years ago too.

I've been scanning the net for some of these names but have met with little success overall.

Good too that we have the straight story on Des Duffy.

You missed Andrew Dolman from your list I think.

Check your Personal Messages please.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 10th Sep 2012, 10:45pm
Post #36

Super Resident
Thanks for the update. Corrections applied to the list.

Sad news about John Rae. He was a nice fellow. Seattle is surprisingly close to where I live too. Wish I'd known he was there much much earlier than this.

Gerald Nelson too is nolonger with us as he passed on some years ago.

Good to finally get the straight story on Des Duffy.

When I put up the list, I was trying to recall those classmates from SB1 of our year and obviously missed a few. I had Barry 'F's name nearly right.

You have maybe missed Andrew Dolman from your list 'though.

Nope. Not on your list but on the list I posted earlier.

Send regards to Alan McKenna and "Tosh" Kerr for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
balornockrobin
post 12th Sep 2012, 08:27am
Post #37

Unpacking
Other names I've remembered!
Arthur Nugent
Tam Mcdade
'Jonah' McFaul
Danny Wardlaw
Laurence Fox
Gerry Kerr
Gerry Farren
and some girls not previously mentioned.
Angela Breare
Irene Lehmann
Stella Russell
Katy Stevenson
Catherine Whiteford.
Where are they now? I know that Ted Alsop and John Rae, two great guys, are sadly no longer with us.

+Quote Post
balornockrobin
post 12th Sep 2012, 08:29am
Post #38

Unpacking
Gerry McCanney and Philip McDevitt! wub.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Sep 2012, 10:40pm
Post #39

I remember my very first assembly, and hearing of the tragic death by drowning of a teacher.

Was there not a girl in your year who went on to become a lady doctor? I think that her surname is Butler, but am not certain.

I only ever knew Mr. Poli as headmaster, and have his signature on a book I won. Naturally, I liked him!

I do remember volunteering in helping to make tea for Mr. Forrester, and his secretary advising me to put in less in the way of sugar than I claimed to be there, for the sake of his health. This was an important lesson for me in the morality of deception, and is one that I have never forgotten.

There was a prefect, unfairly referred to as 'the witch', who was nonetheless the bane of my life, when smoking behind the huts, (the wee classrooms for the first years).

I also attended the primary, and have fond memories of the Isle of Man holidays, where the hotel owners had an absolutely charming little boy called Bubbles. A priest, by the name of Gilbert, used to accompany us, and I remember that he was an avid fan of Wimbledon, so he and the teachers would tell us that we may not go swimming for quite a long period after lunch, because to do so might be quite dangerous. I now think that they wished to see the matches before accompanying us!

Did you perhaps attend the fencing club? What did you ultimately become, if that is not too bold a question?

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 12th Dec 2013, 02:57am
Post #40

Super Resident
I was working with Robert Jenkins (balornockrobin) to compile a list of names with Class Assignements of people who were registered in the School Records for 1963. That project will never now be completed. What I have so far is a list of two Intakes to the school for 1963. January and August. I have added, by memory (and Robert's), people who came in and left later.
It is by no means a definitive listing. There are many original omissions and errors made by the registrations staff from that time.
Robert found it funny that they got my name and his wrong.

--------------------

+Quote Post
**Martin**
post 14th Jan 2014, 11:17pm
Post #41

Do you no any names of football team?

+Quote Post
jimturnbull
post 6th Mar 2014, 10:24pm
Post #42

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,020
QUOTE (ExPOW @ 18th Aug 2012, 05:29am) *
I was an inmate there from 1961 to 1969.
Even although I did 6 months of 'Prep', I didn't achieve any remission.
Always in the top echelon of classes by year, as in 1a Boys, 2a, 3a etc.

A line or two may perhaps jog some dormant synaptic connections......

House Name: Ogilvie
House Master: James (Jimmy) Gordon (taught English)

Form Master: James (Jimmy) Doherty
Latin: forgotten perhaps McFarlane? Mr Patterson
French: 'Wee Nora' Fallon (nyuch nyuch), Desmond (Des) Duffy, Mme Rouselle (double Mmmmmmmm)
English: Doc Durkan and one forgotten 'other'.
Geography: Miss (?)
History: "Spud" Murphy, Miss McCue(?)
Music: (Wee Fat) Bob Devlin, Miss (from Hell) Kelly
Physics: Mr Harvey, Jimmy McCourt
Chemistry: Mrs McBride, Mr McKeon
Mathematics: James Gilhooly, Girls – Miss Gilligan (super bitch)
Arithmetic: Mr Johnson (Ex RAF Air Gunner)
Art: McGoldrick, Joe Crawford
PT: Nickname Fat Jack ? (forgotten) & (Toughguy) McClaren, Girls – Miss Ord
Headmaster: Poli

'Des' Duffy was drowned while holidaying either in Spain or the French Riviera. He was rumoured to be 'romancing' Miss Ord who returned shattered by the experience.

Remember that lumbering Alp known as "Big John" Forrester. Once got six of the best from him.

Sad to relate I found that they had levelled the Senior School, Gymnasia and 'Canny' due to falling birthrates some time ago.

Other Teacher Nicknames who remain unknown:
French: Nickname Wee Wully Face (History)
Chemistry: Nickname Charlie Chin (Chemistry) had sever brain phart during class (mental breakdown)

+Quote Post
jimturnbull
post 6th Mar 2014, 10:29pm
Post #43

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,020
I was there 59 - 64
Other names of teachers
Deputy = O'Hara = Spud
latin - Finlay McKinnon + Forrester + one other (GLub)
geography = J reid
PE = Flapjack and Owen carroll
Maths = harry Hughes
Arithmetic = Dunwoodie
French = Ritchie and Jardine
Spanish = beltrami ? as well as Jimmy Troy
History = Craigen

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 7th Mar 2014, 05:09am
Post #44

Super Resident
A more exhaustive list of teachers;

Mr McLeish, Fligel, Stone, Harvey, Kerr, Dunwoodie, Finneston, Mrs Stewart, Gemmel, Miss Gibson,Burns, McAteer,Mr Cahill, Duffy (Des), Doherty (Jimmy), Jackson, Urqhart.

Mr Blair, Miss Griffin, Mr McKinnon, Miss Morrison, Mr Houston, Miss Marron, Young, Mr Crawford (Joe), Miss McCue, Mr Gilhooly, Mrs Donnelly, Mr Quinn, Miss Gilligan, Mr Bardelli, Miss Mulhern, Mr Ryan, Miss Fallon(wee Nora), Mr Hastings(wee Wully Face), Mrs McBride, Mr McCourt, Miss Cavanagh, Mr Cawley, Miss Maloney, Mr McLaren(P.E. aka Tin Man), Miss McDonagh, Mrs Kitchen, Taylor.

Mr McGill, Dr Durkan (Doc), Mr Johnston, Walsh, Reid, Garrity, McKeown, Devlin (wee fat Boab), Langan, O’Neill, Troy, Carroll, Tierney, Hunter, Braidwood.

Mr Howard, McGoldrick, Gordon (Jimmie), McMahon , Miss McCann, Mr Murray (heedie), Craigen, Miss Patterson, McKenna, Blake, Connelly, Mrs McKay.

Mr Forrester(aka Big John or The Ambling Alp).

Interesting to note that 'Flapjack' McMahon (P.E.) became 'fatjack' under our 'watch'.
If I remember correctly he was an avid Q.P.R. Supporter and made no bones about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 7th Mar 2014, 07:40am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
QUOTE (*Martin* @ 14th Jan 2014, 11:34pm) *
Do you no any names of football team?

2nd from the right, front row, white top, is Archie Norval. I thought my cousin was in the photo and it was he who pointed Archie out. Mary

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.