Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St. Augustines School In Milton, Why was it demolished?
ExPOW
post 15th Jan 2016, 09:29pm
Post #136

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
Monday Morning Ritual on New Term Day One;

Anyone else recall having to having to fill in your Timetable for the new term
and still make it legible to read later on as it acquired dog-ears and tatty thumbprints?

It was then I became aware of how many dyslexics we had in our class.
The interminable questions of room assignments repeated ad nauseam was enough to make you weep.

Woe betide the boy (or girl) who lost their timetable or who could not print small enough. blush4.gif

The over-frequent and depressing homework assignments were supposed to entered in the diary portion of the timetable as a daily-reckoner of what was due.
I got to figure that if they couldn't teach me what I needed to know during imprisonment hours (0900:-16:00) then they (the teachers) were either sluffing or just too lazy/ineffective to
get the lesson content over.
My Timetable ergo, rapidly fell into disuse. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 16th Jan 2016, 08:57am
Post #137

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I only ever remember having problems with the timetable in first year, mainly because of navigational issues. Our form class was in part of the old primary so we spent time getting from there over to the main building and back again. Must have been fun for whoever had to administrate the process of organising classes to match the syllabus for some 1400 pupils.

In my case, I wish they hadn't bothered.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 17th Jan 2016, 12:16am
Post #138

Super Resident
Prep Classes invariably "started" in the Annex for their first term then added to for the next by the next wave of conscripts and, swelling the numbers into a full classload, spent their term in the Annex. Shuffling back and forth from the Annex to "The Big House" was responsible for wearing out many pairs of shoes over the years. Always a mad dash when raining or slush was on the ground.
A quick nip undercover of "the canny" when transiting brought some respite from the weather even if it was only 20 yards or so.

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
*Ellen*
post 14th Jul 2016, 09:08pm
Post #139

QUOTE (MARY CONNELLY @ 12th Jan 2011, 11:32pm) *
St Augustines was closed due to financial greed of City Council as it had the biggest area of land but someone didn't do their homework or they would have know that the playingfields have a natural water spring running underneath and the land is not suitable to build on.
Its a shame as St Augustines was 1 of the best schools in Europe with extremely high standards and some brilliant teachers.
Does anyone remember Miss Gilligan, the maths teacher. I was terrified of her but no question she was great at her job.

Hi Miss Gilligan died a couple of weeks ago. She was beautiful teacher. I was there between 1957 and 1967. Primary and secondary.

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 19th Jul 2016, 06:31pm
Post #140

Super Resident
Is there a published obituary Ellen?

I'm sure that many of her past victims would have liked to have read it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 1st Aug 2016, 10:13pm
Post #141

Super Resident
These are 1st Year Boys and Girls from 1963.

If you are in the picture and wish to be remembered, take a squint at the relevant picture below and
find your number from the picture below that.

Post a reply with your name and number and help me fill in the blanks as to who you are.
If you don't want to be identified on this BB, eMail me instead (or don't - as you wish).

Ladies first....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
*DeniseB*
post 31st Aug 2016, 08:05pm
Post #142

QUOTE (ExPOW @ 18th Aug 2012, 05:12am) *
I was an inmate there from 1961 to 1969.
Even although I did 6 months of 'Prep', I didn't achieve any remission.
Always in the top echelon of classes by year, as in 1a Boys, 2a, 3a etc.

A line or two may perhaps jog some dormant synaptic connections......

House Name: Ogilvie
House Master: James (Jimmy) Gordon (taught English)

Form Master: James (Jimmy) Doherty
Latin: forgotten perhaps McFarlane? Mr Patterson
French: 'Wee Nora' Fallon (nyuch nyuch), Desmond (Des) Duffy, Mme Rouselle (double Mmmmmmmm)
English: Doc Durkan and one forgotten 'other'.
Geography: Miss (?)
History: "Spud" Murphy, Miss McCue(?)
Music: (Wee Fat) Bob Devlin, Miss (from Hell) Kelly
Physics: Mr Harvey, Jimmy McCourt
Chemistry: Mrs McBride, Mr McKeon
Mathematics: James Gilhooly, Girls – Miss Gilligan (super bitch)
Arithmetic: Mr Johnson (Ex RAF Air Gunner)
Art: McGoldrick, Joe Crawford
PT: Nickname Fat Jack ? (forgotten) & (Toughguy) McClaren, Girls – Miss Ord
Headmaster: Poli

'Des' Duffy was drowned while holidaying either in Spain or the French Riviera. He was rumoured to be 'romancing' Miss Ord who returned shattered by the experience.

Remember that lumbering Alp known as "Big John" Forrester. Once got six of the best from him.

Sad to relate I found that they had levelled the Senior School, Gymnasia and 'Canny' due to falling birthrates some time ago.

Other Teacher Nicknames who remain unknown:
French: Nickname Wee Wully Face (History)
Chemistry: Nickname Charlie Chin (Chemistry) had sever brain phart during class (mental breakdown)

+Quote Post
*Martin Maguire*
post 4th Oct 2016, 10:13pm
Post #143

I do remember Mr Walsh having a rather nasty habit.......and I don't mean writing scripts for the One O'Clock Gang cool.gif

His nickname was Pick n Flick!!

MM

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 5th Oct 2016, 07:47pm
Post #144

Super Resident
...or "Pickit Flickit" as he was known to our year Martin.

A more accurate Teacher List could stand replication here so here y'go....

Back Row;
Mr McLeish, Fligel, Stone, Harvey, Kerr, Dunwoodie, Finneston, Mrs Stewart, Gemmel, Miss Gibson,Burns, McAteer,Mr Cahill, Duffy, Doherty, Jackson, Urqhart.

Third Row;
Mr Blair, Miss Griffin, Mr McKinnon, Miss Morrison, Mr Houston, Miss Marron, Young, Mr Crawford, Miss McCue, Mr Gilhooly, Mrs Donnelly, Mr Quinn, Miss Gilligan, Mr Bardelli, Miss Mulhern, Mr Ryan, Miss Fallon, Mr Hastings, Mrs McBride, Mr McCourt, Miss Cavanagh, Mr Cawley, Miss Maloney, Mr McLaren, Miss McDonagh, Mrs Kitchen, Taylor.

Second Row;
Mr McGill, Dr Durkan, Mr Johnston, Walsh, Reid, Garrity, McKeown, Devlin, Langan, O’Neill, Troy, Carroll, Tierney, Hunter, Braidwood.

Front Row;
Mr Howard, McGoldrick, Gordon, McMahon, Miss McCann, Mr Murray, Craigen, Miss Patterson, McKenna, Blake, Connelly, Mrs McKay.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 11th Jan 2017, 10:55pm
Post #145

Super Resident
Amendment:

House Name: Ogilvie
House Master: James (Jimmy) Gordon

Form Master: James (Jimmy) Doherty (Prep and 1st year).
Form in 1st Year : McKinnon.
French: ‘Wee Nora’ Fallon (nyuch nyuch), Desmond (Des) Duffy, Mme Rousselle (double Mmmmmmmm).
Mr ‘Wee Wully Face’ aka ‘Pierre’ Blair.
English: ‘Doc’ Durkan, Jimmy Gordon, O’Neill or Murray, Mr Langan
Geography: Miss Morrison (ooooh-mmmmmmmmm), Arthur Houston, Dinwoodie.
History: "Spud" Murphy, Miss McCue
Music: (Wee Fat) Bob Devlin, Miss Kelly (beatch)
Physics: Mr Harvey, Jimmy McCourt
Drama: Mr Roccicolli
Chemistry: Mrs McBride, Mr McKeon
Mathematics: O’Neill & Gilhooly, Girls – Miss Gilligan (super beatch), Braidwood
Arithmetic: Mr Johnson (Ex RAF Air Gunner)
Art: McGoldrick, Joe Crawford
PT: ‘Fat Jack’ Monaghan & (Tin Man) McClaren, Girls – Miss Ord
Headmaster: Mr Murray ‘till 64 then Poli.
Assistant Headmaster: Mr McMahon (Wee Hitler)

Remember that lumbering Alp known as "Big John" Forrester? Once got six of the best from him.
Sad to relate I found that they had levelled the Senior School, Gymnasia and 'Canny' due to falling birthrates some time ago.

Other Teacher Nicknames who remain unconfirmed:
Chemistry: Nickname "Charlie Chin" (possibly Hastings who had severe mental breakdown during class)

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Ellen*
post 21st Feb 2017, 11:47pm
Post #146

Hi I went to st augustines from 1957 to 1967. I lived in Castlebay street. Have very fond memories of my school days.

+Quote Post
**billy1947**
post 12th Apr 2017, 11:31pm
Post #147

I went to St. Augustine's 1959/1963 and my Aunt still stays in Castlebay Street perhaps you knew her?

Her name is Renee Bryceland.

+Quote Post
billy1947
post 9th May 2017, 03:44pm
Post #148

Unpacking
Member No.: 40,077
QUOTE (a.nom @ 11th Jan 2011, 11:00pm) *
hi storeman
i was there in approx 1966/71 i remember climbing the fence i came in from haywood st up through the pitches and into the boys play ground at that time we had different play grounds do you remember the prefects nasty lot hope you were not one .
i remember a couple of cracker teachers houston history told he had the hardest belt in school. gilhooly maths a proper b"$%&%d jimmy gordon english good guy

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 12th May 2017, 12:00am
Post #149

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Obit for Dr Durkan, very clever man but not I think a great teacher,

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12507521.Dr_John_Durkan/

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 12th May 2017, 07:43am
Post #150

Super Resident
The Doc was probably and arguably the school's best teacher so it's largely a matter of opinion.

Alas, poor latterday Yorick! I knew him, Dykejumper; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath smited me with wit and scorn a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?

The man's obit speaks for itself.

Requiescat Doc.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.